FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The general movie goodness thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a new Terminator: Salvation trailer that I thought I would share.

I gotta say, there's some cool stuff here, particularly the large robot (terminator?) shown at the end. My first reaction was "&$%# Yeah!"

Thoughts?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

&$%# Yeah! is right. That is just AWESOME.
Nice find Judes.
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frakkin awesome trailer! So i'm still not clear, is this a remake of Terminator or a continuation of the trilogy?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are going to be three new movies, staring Christian Bale as John Conner, which are set a few years after, and continuing on from T3.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4 is set in an alternate world, where because of the events of the earlier films changed the timeline.

So this is a different future from the one where Arnold comes from and different to the SCC.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool. I'll probably go see it in theaters, but Terminator has never been on my list of top movie series for me. But I'll still check it out

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is sort of a continuation from T3, rather than a new trilogy altogether, only its a fair share of years following T3's ending.

We still need to see the fall of Skynet.

Terminator has always confused me. I never understood how a computer program could have survived after obliterating the entire world of just about all its technology. Where does it get the resources or the factories to construct its army of machines? I'm sure all those Terminator models that it released during T3 are all but destroyed.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it has been said by various people involved it is hopefully the first part of a trilogy in a new timeline. I also think I read they're disregarding T3.

DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing topics from Terminator, anyone see the trailer for Dragonball?

When I first heard about it, I thought that has to be the dumbest idea ever. Sure the series was cool and all back in the day, but it would never work as a live action movie. After seeing the trailer, I'm abit undecided, some parts seemed cool, some parts seemed abit too fake looking for my liking.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
Actually, it has been said by various people involved it is hopefully the first part of a trilogy in a new timeline. I also think I read they're disregarding T3.

Going by what McG (the director) said at ComicCon, this movie is part of a new trilogy, however, it can work as a sequel to T3 (like Superman Returns, also T4 has John's wife in it, wich was a new character in T3) and that would place the SCC in a different timeline.
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
Changing topics from Terminator, anyone see the trailer for Dragonball?

Yes, but I wasn't that impressed. Admittedly, I've never been all that into anime, but in my very brief stint of watching it (less than month) as a teen, this was the one show I watched. This just feels like a b-movie to me and in retrospect, a bit like Dragon Wars.

I really don't think the movie will do well, since the Anime crowd is a notoriously picky bunch who will grumble about minor (or major) inconsistencies and boycott it because of it. And the non-Anime people simply won't care. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I get from it.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. Though, i think I will still end up seeing it, just for the hell of it. But I beat it will be corney and not very good.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:

...I really don't think the movie will do well, since the Anime crowd is a notoriously picky bunch who will grumble about minor (or major) inconsistencies and boycott it because of it...
While you do raise a very good point, Jude, you also have to take into consideration that some of the Anime crowd will go to see this simply because it's based off of Anime. Wink

Proud member of the AFEC
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news everyone, The Day the Earth Stood Still didn't suck! In fact, I thought it was great. I'm too tired to elaborate though. Just trust me on this one.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Can't say I saw that one coming. Maybe I will go and see it...either in theaters or when it comes out I will rent it.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Good news everyone, The Day the Earth Stood Still didn't suck!

Nobody suspects the Keanu Reeves Inquisition!! Surprised

Actually, though, watching the previews, I didn't think it would be too bad. I never saw the original, so I might go see this.
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the Addams Family and Addams Family Values, what great movies!

"I'll be the Victim!"
"All your life"
~Amanda Buckman and Wednesday Addams at Camp Chippewa

Laughing
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are two of the greatest and funniest films ever made Laughing I love them.

"Two, ten...."
"Six?"
"No, eleven. 2, 10, 11, eyes, fingers, toes"
Laughing
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen Step Brothers? Personally, I'm not a big fan of Will Ferrell (Talladega Nights and Semi-Pro sucked, Blades of Glory was okay). However, I was pleasently suprised by Step Brothers. It had a lot of funny jokes and/or situations, and though the language was immensly profane, it came off as a nice little story. The acting was also much better than I expected. John C. Reilly was perfect for a forty-year-old kid, and Ferrell had the part of an immature adult down already (from Elf).

The newer Harold and Kumar 2, which I saw a few weeks ago, was a shocker to me, and sucked immensly. The first one was hilarious, and had a plot. Guantanemo Bay was very politically incorrect, horrific, and just plain boring overall. I was truly disappointed.

And the most ironic thing is, I thought all summer that Harold and Kumar 2 was going to be funny and that Step Brothers would stink. Wink
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... yeah, saw Punisher Warzone over the weekend... what was so wrong with the 2004 Punisher? It's one of my favorite films... and with this reboot, they've secured the Punisher's on screen doom.

The Punisher, Ray Stevenson... well, I honestly thought he was as good, or better than Tom Jane. And Wayne Knight was good as well, though his role was small. Besides that, the rest of the acting was mediocre at best.
The plot was weak, real weak. The action was good, but the violence was over-the-top-zombie style (playdough effect). The score was great... sounded just like Batman Begins... hmm.

So, in short, I was very disappointed, they took the worst parts of the previous films, the plot and over-the-top-violence of the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, the low budget, and bad supporting cast of the 2004 Punisher, and made a pointless 'reboot'. Now if the movie was actually different, in any way from the first two films, it would've been a lot better, but it wasn't, except for Ray Stevenson.

First the pointless reboot of Hulk (although Incredible Hulk was pretty good IMO), now this, a pointless, poorly made, but well shot (And acted by two people) Punisher. You killed it, you killed the Punisher. Bad. Marvel. Sad
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, Terminator Salvation looks more like another Transformers movie and doesn't have that Terminator feel to it...

Not that I'm complaining! Razz
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plane to and fro the US during my vacation, I saw The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Wanted, Get Smart, Meet Dave, Hellboy II, Fred Claus and Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day. The Mummy was mindless fun. It wasn't nearly as smart as the first two and offered a very naive view of Chinese culture, but the action scenes were great and the laughs kept coming. Also, the plot seems to be heavily ripped off from videogames, namely Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and Tomb Raider II. Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh don't get nearly enough screen time, particularly to fight. But I really did enjoy some sequences, particularly the traps in the tomb and the chase through the Shanghai streets.

Wanted was your typical shoot-em-up action film...on steroids. The action was just wicked, some sequences were so insane but they worked. I loved the flipping car, the train derail and the opening with the assassin flying through the glass. It's also great to see Angelina Jolie back in her element, kicking a** and pumping lead. Morgan Freeman is always good and it's time the world took notice of James McAvoy.

Get Smart and Meet Dave were actually much better than I expected and I was giggling throughout both. My favourite moments were the joke about milking the spider and the mushroom cloud in Get Smart and "Dave Ming-Chang" and "Welcome to Old Navy!" in Meet Dave.

Hellboy II was just terrific, so much better than the first film which was already above average. There was a near-perfect balance of fantasy and reality, you have elemental monsters and evil tooth fairies one second, and Jimmy Kimmel and YouTube the next. The humour was also great, particularly the drunken duet between Abe and Hellboy.

Fred Claus and Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day were opposite ends of the spectrum, Fred Claus being a very average comedy with suppressed performances from the usually-excellent Vince Vaughn and Paul Giammati. Still, there were some good moments, like the elves' party and Clyde Northcutt putting on his Superman cape. Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day was a quaint period comedy about a strait-laced governer who becomes a "social secretary" for a 40's style Britney Spears of sorts. Terrific acting all-round and wonderful period flavour.

As for the new movies, Terminator Salvation looks utterly fantastic. Christian Bale is perfect as John Connor and the effects are as gritty as ever. As far as I know, it continues forth from Terminator 3 when the battle between humans and machines is underway. X-Men Origins Wolverine also looks great. It's a thrill to see classic characters such as Deadpool, Gambit and Kestrel on the big screen. Still, it feels a little "Elektra-ish" with some very over-the-top action and not enough grit. Here's hoping it'll work.

><>
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but I do have to bump this thread up, what with all the new movies in 2009. So, what is on your must-see list for the new year? For me, it would have to be Terminator: Salvation, Watchmen and X Men Origins-Wolverine. I've also just seen Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D, since only the non 3D version was shown before Singapore acquired the 3D-capable projectors. I must say I really enjoyed it. It looked spectacular and the 3D effect was fun and exciting, though it did feel as if I was in a theme park as opposed to a cinema.

Also, hardcore fans of movie trivia should absolutely visit this webiste, moviemistakes.com. Basically, people submit mistakes or trivia they spot in movies, ranging from factual to continuity errors. The same people also came up with the Movie Banter podcast, which is basically two British guys talking about movies but they make very good points if you have a half hour to spare. Plus, they read an email from yours truly at the start of Episode 8!

><>
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and saw The Spirit the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I really love the way the took the cheesiness/campiness factor and just ran with it. Another thing I thought was a bit interesting (in a good way) was they way the blended 50's/60's style clothing and vehicles and modern technology (cell phones, body armor, weaponry). It really gave the movie its own distinct style.

I especially loved Samuel Jackson's over-the-top portrayal of the The Octopus. He really nailed the part. Oh, and the fact that he was a Nazi who took joy in killing cute little kittens was awesomely hilarious. I mean seriously, can you possibly get more evil? I submit that you cannot. (And if you're wondering why a black person would be a Nazi, you're clearly missing the point. Wink)

Equally entertaining were the knucklehead cloned henchmen. Having their "names" printed on their shirts was hilarious. They had me giggling several times.

If you enjoy good-old-fashioned comic book romps, you'll enjoy this movie. No, its not as "serious" as "The Dark Knight" and not realistic, but that's part of its charm. But its comic-book noir, its stylistic, and, gosh-darn-it, its fun.
Zombie T
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta totally agree with that, I really liked The Spirit. It should definitely be taken as a comedy though, in my opinion, because its far to cheesy to be a serious film. Sam Jackson was definitely the best part.

EDIT: Forgot to say, this was totally funnier than Burn After Reading.
Zombie Vaultous
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the movie I'm looking forward to the most this year. It's about time it actually gets released. Smile
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanboys isn't even going to get a UK release. Sad

I really disliked the Spirit. The visual style was non comital, jumping from Bond-esque opening sequence to Sin City at random, not wanting to commit to one style.

And that's ignoring the ludicrous plot. I know I'm going to have all the Bothan's who liked the comic book leaping on me now, but hear me out. I've never read the Spirit comic. I've not been interested in it. Empire never carried a story on it, so, unlike Watchmen, I was never curious to seek it out in a bookshop. And I definitely won't now.

Coming to the story a newcomer meant I had no idea who this Spirit was, what the OctOpus had done to appear so bad in our heroes eyes, nothing. And the film did very little to change this. WHAT HAS THE OCTOPUS DONE? From the start, he justs seems a scientist. How on earth does the Spirit know hes doing bad things? The film told people who hadn't the comic very little and the backstory we did get was rushed and kept the film aimed at its niche market.

Another problem is the hero. It wasn't until it was said that I realised he was meant to cause all the women he meets to be enamoured with him - to love him. I'm no woman, but there seemed nothing romantic or alluring about him. He simply came across as a reclusive P-A-T-O-O-T-I-E. This is the same problem the equally terrible Max Payne had - a hero who you just have to hate. In fact, the dark setting, the bad plot and lack of emotion link the two films heavily.

I do find, however, that the time of the film's release is it's biggest flaw. We're in a world that has just had the biggest superhero film of all time, 'The Dark Knight' throw all other films, of any genre, aside. We've now have summers defined by superhero flicks for years. Superheroes are now also beginning to become part of the adult film media also, with Watchmen looking like the best film since Kane. And The Spirit, in my mind and the eyes of the film going public is a superhero film. Bryan Singer made sure in 2000, with X-Men, that superhero films from now on would be clever, more realistic and good. Frank Miller fails on all of these. The Spirit would have garnered a mediocre rating had it come following Batman and Robin, but two Batmans on and the realisation hero films can be good, the film crumbles.

It's all well and good to say it should be taken as a comic, cheesy, light hearted film, but it wasn't marketed that way. Hancock was marketed as a funny, light, Will Smith film. It wasn't and even if it had been marketed as a slow, pointless superhero rip-off, it would still have sucked. The Spirit makes the same mistake - the adverts and posters show it as a dark, noir-superhero mash up. And it is abismal at that. The whole Nazi scene had me dumbfounded - shouldn't this be in a film mocking superheroes?

If it wasn't for Eva Mendes, this film would be a complete shambles.

The Spirit is, regrettably, the 'Greatest Comic Book Ever that you've never heard of before' that definitely should not have been made

DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with Fetty on his point that they cut out alot of backstory that left me somewhatly confused for alot of parts.

Though I didn't hate the movie. It wasn't great, it was average in my books. Honestly the only 2 reasons I went to see it is because A) It's a comicbook adabtation (and I tend to be a sucker for those) and B) Samual L. Jackson. I found him hilarious. The whole movie was extremely cheesy and comical. Which I hope was on purpose.

In short, if you are looking for some after dinner entertainment, and some interesting laughs with some action in it, then this won't be a bad choice.
But if your into serious and well told stories, then maybe stay away from The Spirit

DeviantART|Brickshelf
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty,

I generally disagree with your overall assessment, but do concede a few points.

1. I agree the backstory wasn't very well fleshed out. However, I feel that if they had gone into all of that, it would have bogged the whole story down. They did eventually explain how everything came to be. Also, as for "how do we know The Octopus is evil" thing, it was alluded to several times that he was involved in other nefarious things such as drugs trafficing (there was a line about selling them to young girls) and other acts of violence.

2. I also agree that the film was marketed poorly. My guess here, though, is that this had less to do with Frank Miller and more to do with the company that produced the film. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the production company hindered a movies success through poor marketing. Personally, I'd never read the graphic novels and didn't really know much about it. I did go in expecting something more like Sin City (more dark-noir), but it didn't take me long to catch on that this wasn't the case.

This film almost did feel like a send-up of comic book movies in a way, but I like to think there was more to it than just that. I think that hidden away in this film is a deeper message about our society's tendency to classify things as "pure good" and "pure evil." We like to demonize our enemies, making them out to be the epitomy of evil (read: terrorists, Saddam Hussein, etc...). All the while, we make ourselves out to be the sole bastion of good, incapable of saying or doing anything bad. This film exposes this to be the ridiculous sham that it is. No, terrorists don't like to kill baby kittens for sport. Yes, we do occassionally make mistakes and say the wrong thing.

In the end, this film is more likely to go down in history as a cult classic. Its doubtful that mainstream audiences will take to this the same way they did to Sin City or 300. Frank Miller isn't perfect, and either are you. I'll still eagerly await his next movie.
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday evening I watched Get Smart with two of my siblings. I hadn't seen the film beforehand, but I had heard some comments about it - both positive and negative.
As we started watching, I thought it would be quite meh, an average agent comedy, something like The Naked Gun and Johny English. I had seen some episodes of the original series, so I knew what kind of humor to expect.

However, as the film ran, my opinion started to change. Get Smart was a surprisingly good film, far better than any other agent comedy I've ever seen, and pretty much even better than most of the real agent films I've seen (although most of them are Bond films and therefore (apart from the two latest, I mean) almost comedies).
I enjoyed watching the film quite profoundly; it was a great movie in virtually every way. The action was neat and the jokes quite good (in fact, I don't remember any bad jokes). I especially enjoyed the spot where Max was asking if there was smallpox in the blankets he got in the cell. Nice historical reference, intentional or not.

Go see it if you can or fancy. It really is worth seeing, in my opinion at least.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 32 of 34
Jump to: