FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contests, Community Builds, and You - New Guidelines (11/07)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Contests, Community Builds, and You - New Guidelines (11/07) Reply with quote

Okay, we've had a big flood of these contests and requests popping up lately, so we felt it was time to build on some of the great advice originally posted by obi-wan-stefan.

Current projects will go until the end of the month (November), and then we'll start with whatever queues up next.

The new guidelines:

1. Effective immediately, we're going to limit things here to no more than one group project/community build and one user-driven contest at a time.

2. Contests or projects cannot run more than one month from first post to "last call for submissions." You can feel free to keep building, that's what the hobby is all about, but we have plenty of people with ideas. If there's merit to run a contest longer, plead your case with the staff, but we'd like to keep it to one.

3. Going forward, the only group projects and contests we'll have need to involve Star Wars LEGO. Yes, the LEGO group has some other great themes like Castle and Batman, but we're a Star Wars LEGO site. So, any projects need to embrace that.

4. Staff permission needs to be given before posting. If you have an idea, send a PM to DonSolo or dWhisper. We'll be throwing these into our big shred- I mean, discussion bin and discuss it with the staff. If you send it to anyone else on the staff, don't be surprised if it doesn't get added to our queue.

5. Not everything will make the cut... effectively, we're now going to have 12 group projects a year, so we have to be selective. If something is good, we'll queue it up and have it ready to go when the next one.

6. Before you submit, be prepared. Suggestions like "let's have a Slave II contest" with nothing else will be promptly laughed at and discarded. Have a well thought out contest that will appeal to the community at large.

There are some great ideas that we reject because they'll only appeal to a small number of builders. The best ideas get everyone, regardless of the size of their collection or their skill as a builder, involved. Include any particular rules, limitations, or guidelines in your initial idea. The staff will help you out as we can.

7. No more secret judges in the contest... if you have it planned, you need to ask and identify the judges from the get go (at least to the staff and all the judges).

8. If you include prizes in your contest, make sure you follow through at the end and get their winners the goods.

9. If you participate in the contest, be a good sport, thank the people that took time to organize it, and go from there.

Last edited by dWhisper on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think judges should be kept secret from the entrants, but not the staff member approving said contest. I mean, otherwise you could possibly rig the votes...

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think it's easier to rig a contest with secret judges...
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant for the entrants to rig it, the contest host could rig it without secret judges... But why?

EDIT: Thanks, dWhisper Smile Expect a PM from me one of these days for a super-awesome contest with nice juicy prizes Very Happy

Last edited by ThePlasticJedi on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favoritism? I don't know... rigging contest is for losers and talentless morons anyways. Even if a entrant here was dishonest enough to want to rig a contest, how many of the judges do you think would be lame enough to go along with it?
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it depends on what noobs are judges.

EDIT: My contests both had secret judges, but the names were released at the end. I could have told everyone what each person voted, to prove I was legit, but that may be unfair to the judges. Also, do you guys think you can set up polls if people want to use them instead? They're a lot more fun and indisputable anyways.

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majority of the time the judges for these contests are respected members... or at least veteran members. Razz But, in any case, if there is ever a doubt of contest rigging at all - you should contact the staff and we can look into it.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure what you could do to get everyone on your side and "rig" a contest anyway. The whole purpose of having more than one judge is to prevent that sort of thing. Sure, you could bribe me with something shiny, but will Don, Doc, Mike, and whoever else take the same thing? Not likely.

Besides, if it happened once, that person would be more-or-less permanently ostracized from any future contests, and I can certainly guarantee that they'd never get an idea in the queue again.
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, throughout my life I've believed in the general evil of mankind.

dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind is generally evil, but luckily, everyone is also individually evil, so they tend to cancel each other out.
DarthPineapple

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally it has come. Rules! Razz

But only SW Lego? Maybe also SW-themed contests are also nice, or contests about FBTB, just give Junsiers magnitude-thingie contest for an example.

But having my name in the second line of text, I'm honoured! Laughing

Brickshelf Gallery
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, we're going to stick with that, but I'm sure if you just have a stunning idea around something else, but it'll usually have to fit those criteria. Most of the time, when we wander outside of there, we start to lose a great deal of our membership to it, and that's what we're trying to avoid.

That and there are like 7 different events running now... it's hard to keep track.
The Sissy CSI

Location: In the days before custom avatars... Real name: The Sissy Jedi...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwhisper can you lock my thread and wait until the fourm cleans out to unlock it?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: