FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respect the Brick, or I will eat your soul.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like laughing at them personally, so I'll pick #2 as well. Wink Doesn't invalidate the RtB policy at all though.

Anyways, seeing as the UCS Falcon thread alone received as much attention as (if not more than) the entire 2008 sets thread, I think the stats point to #1.
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, deleted another post violating RTB.

From now on, I'm taking a slightly less friendly stance. Disrespect the brick, lose your account for a day. Sweet.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fair, I hope Santa brings me my own ban button... Sad
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two Canadian cents...

Darth Andrew, Akward Chewbacca and stormtrooper16, my first impression of you guys is really a bad one. And Harald, dude, I'm sick and tired of you constantly complaining about the rules here. I'm beginning to think that Tim wasn't the bad guy in your feud back in the days.

Seriously, all you guys that don't want to Respect the Brick here can just leave. And you guys are lucky that I'm not a Mod or an Admin here, because you would all get my foot in your behind on your way out. Really.

This community was perfectly fine without you here, and we'll do even better without you.

To all the others that, whether you agree with them or not, are willing to play by the rules, I'm really glad you guys are here on FBTB.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Disrespect the brick, lose your account for a day. Sweet.

Now that's what I call "Power". Wink Talking serious- that sounds quite good. A bit like Monopoly- "do not pass go, do not collect $200". Has this become "Forum Law"? I'm in the green either way and have always respected the RTB policy. Is it wrong then that I for one support this little idea of Austin's? Question
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not wrong. I second that motion.

I suggest a "Vote of no Confidence" for Unofficial Pictures. Wink
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Jar Jar voice)- Weesa here, musta demand dat emergency powers are given to da Supreme Chancellor Austin. Cool

But we know he already has those powers!! Wink
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instinct would be to make it a three day ban in order to make sure that they noticed, but then I got to thinking that these types of members would probably notice a one hour ban.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the banning idea.
I know I was perticpating in the previous leaked thread. I'm sorry, I was being dumb and actually believed it.
For now on I am waiting to see a MOD post in a threat like that unless its from Lego.com themselves. Wink

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:
My instinct would be to make it a three day ban in order to make sure that they noticed, but then I got to thinking that these types of members would probably notice a one hour ban.

Swoosh is right. I'm not on everyday, so Austin could ban me for a day and I would have no idea. Make it something that the disrespecters will actually notice.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a custom title and avatar for a month to show their supposed "sold your soul" condition.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A universal avatar for all who do not pay attention to the RTB policy. Nice. Smile
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest locked thread (the Exo Force one) was referring to pics that weren't leaked, I believe. These were taken at Legoworld (huge pics):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773915
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773909
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773901
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773902
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773915
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773919
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773922
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2773927
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, those are from LEGOWorld. That's how we learned about a lot of 2007 sets previously. However, I strongly caution against getting all sorts of wild with them... since the pictures are still iffy.
Darth Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
My two Canadian cents...

Darth Andrew, Akward Chewbacca and stormtrooper16, my first impression of you guys is really a bad one. And Harald, dude, I'm sick and tired of you constantly complaining about the rules here. I'm beginning to think that Tim wasn't the bad guy in your feud back in the days.

Seriously, all you guys that don't want to Respect the Brick here can just leave. And you guys are lucky that I'm not a Mod or an Admin here, because you would all get my foot in your behind on your way out. Really.

This community was perfectly fine without you here, and we'll do even better without you.

How do I want to go against the rules? I have only expressed my displeasure at them, which I hope isn't the same as breaking them. I get my leaked LEGO news from other sites, sure, but I still hang around here for the activity and community.

If your post wasn't aimed at me, my defense is that you did single me out as having a "bad first impression" on you. Confused
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to check, is posting the rubbish scans still against the CoC, even though we have conformation?

Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually against CoC forever till Lego officially shows it. That's that simple. Smile

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, posting leaked pics will always be against the CoC. Honestly even once they release them, simply because the whole dealer's catalog isn't meant for the general public.

Plus, as has been shown in the Rogue Shadow thread... it's a whole lot better when they put them on display. Still not as good as the LEGO.com releases, but vastly better than the sucky catalog scans.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so. That'll be why Scums posts in the RS thread have been deleted.

dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it sure would. Wink
Kaiba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Guys one of them was real though Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If another site do not have the same codex as fbtb, that does not mean that the site don't respect Lego.. It just means that the site have another codex then here.

99.99% of all sites is a great fan of Lego, and indeed "Loves the Brick".

I want to make sure that i respect fbtb.net. I am Not posting this to make trouble.

Nobody is out to hurt Lego, there is just a difference of opnion on how Lego should promote products.

Peace Very Happy
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word "codex" is throwing me, but I think I understand. It's just a policy we have to make things run smoother, we only expect people to follow it here, but we do expect everyone to follow it. We really don't care what other sites do. Simple.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleT wrote:
Nobody is out to hurt Lego, there is just a difference of opnion on how Lego should promote products.

That difference being how LEGO thinks it should promote products versus how you think LEGO should promote products? Razz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its more the lack of promotion from Lego... One of the best tings a company like Lego can do is hype, some call it buzz.. That starts people talking and wanting Lego sets that are comming out... A company like Hasbro is very good and this, and can get alot of sells on Preorders alone.

There is of course also bad hype, like the 10131 Tie set. Where alot of people knew there would be a 10131 set, but not was it was, so people went on overdrive talking about it, and got disappointed when the first pics of the set was out.... and disappointed customers and not good. And Lego could have saved alot, if they released news in time.

Again this is my opinion, and this is just a friendly debat Smile
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, codex is a synonym for book (more specifically, law books or books of knowledge/history), but anyway.

I suppose what I'd say is... what benefit does LEGO really have in fans that, by their very nature, will buy the sets anyway? Toy retailers benefit by the "shock and awe" of the set on the shelf, drawing the eye and getting kids to scream "mommy mommy mommy!" in the aisles. Few toys benefit from advance pictures, because the target markets for such things aren't looking at them.

AFOLs, while we generate more dollars per purchase, don't make up the greater portion (I'd venture we're a small sliver, much like the computer enthusiast market). Kids are the biggest chunk, and while we have a lot of kids around here, most don't buy their own sets. Those that do are very calculating about it, and don't generate nearly the dollar power of an AFOL. But if you ask a company if they'd like 100 customers that spend $50 once every 6 months or 2 that spend $200 every month... it's not hard to say which they'd pick. And that's exactly the kind of buyer that makes up LEGO's target market.

So, I'm willing to argue that there's no discernible benefit to LEGO for building hype around the leaks. Most people will buy sets anyway, and what difference does it honestly make if someone sees a set six months early and decides if they buy it or not?

All of the threads around new sets follow this basic life cycle...

1) Leaked Picture/Name/Image/Idea is posted
2) Flood of posts that consist of "Cool" or Shocked
3) First post calling out a blurry detail that could be a brick or perhaps bigfoot, and declaring that the end of all things LEGO is nigh
4) Counter-post that someone is planning to buy three of them because this new set is the best thing since air was discovered in the 30s
5) General posts saying that someone will never buy it or how many they will buy
6) Someone posts the same leaked pic because they're too lazy to go through the thread and see if it's been posted
7) Rinse, repeat
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Andrew wrote:
I have only expressed my displeasure at them, which I hope isn't the same as breaking them.

It's one thing to PM or email a mod or admin about a rule, and to ask how that rule came to be. It's also acceptable to PRIVATELY express your displeasure for that rule to those who run the place.

But publicly jumping on the bandwagon and criticizing a website's rules on its own forum is pretty much disrespectful to the owners and administrators of the said website IMHO.

It's like going to someone's home and telling them the minute you come in that you disagree with their rule that you have to remove your shoes.

It's their home, therefor their rules.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree on principle. "PRIVATELY express your displeasure" is just management speak for "Let's quietly sweep it under the rug." Issues for a reasonable percentage of members should be discussed in the Suggestions forum. The forum management can always say "Yes, we understand your issue. But, we are standing by this policy." A public statement to the issue is more forthright, honest, and respectful of the users, IMHO.

Of course, there is the difference between noting your discontent and turning that into a flame war. Well, that is just feeding the trolls. Make a statement and don't make any more. People get tired of posting when noone argues with them.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a no win situation. There will always be people who disagree enough to complain, and practically nothing short of doing specifically what they want will satisfy them. If we respond and explain the reasoning and say we're still sticking to the policy it turns in to a flame war. If we don't respond they post another thread about not getting any responses and that just turns into a one sided flame war. That's what happened, and that's why the thread in the suggestion forum got locked.

There is no simple solution solution it seems. We've already given a public statement - right here. In addition, we've explained in depth why we made the policy and why we're sticking to in various threads. We all know it's not going to be changed. Continued discussion will lead nowhere and the suggestion forum is not there for people to vent, so if you have a genuine question on it it's best to privately contact a staffer. That's not sweeping it under the carpet, that's dealing with it the best possible way.

It seems like you're resigned yourself to disagree with it, and now that we don't want any more back and forth on the policy you're looking for other points to argue. Let it die. Please.
Big Cam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Angel Alita wrote:
I'll disagree on principle. "PRIVATELY express your displeasure" is just management speak for "Let's quietly sweep it under the rug." Issues for a reasonable percentage of members should be discussed in the Suggestions forum. The forum management can always say "Yes, we understand your issue. But, we are standing by this policy." A public statement to the issue is more forthright, honest, and respectful of the users, IMHO.

Of course, there is the difference between noting your discontent and turning that into a flame war. Well, that is just feeding the trolls. Make a statement and don't make any more. People get tired of posting when noone argues with them.

And you have a problem with this bold statement???

News flash kid's, this is a privetaly owned forum. The site owner/admin can do whatever he wants and have whatever kinds of rules he wants. This is not a democracy, it's a forum that someone pays for and ALLOWS us to post here. We have no say, and honestly should'nt, we don't pay for this site.

Now obviously the site owner is kind enough to hear our suggestions, but all the Respect the Brick complainers need to grow up and realize what this place is, NOT YOURS!

Sorry for going off, but I am sick of this coming up in every thread. ya ya, I know I'm new and no one knows me.

(My comment in no way reflects the views and/or opinions of the site owner or site staff, it was my interpretation of how a private forum is run.)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: