FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respect the Brick, or I will eat your soul.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about trolls... we all know you shouldn't feed them, but it's just so very tempting. ::D:
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on top of that, it's just so much fun because the responses are just extremely hilarious ::D:
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. It's entertaining to see were they bring their argument. It's even funnier when you know they can't win. ::D:

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, finally.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:
Sheesh, finally.

Did I miss something, what just happened Confused I could have swarn there were more posts Confused

DeviantART|Brickshelf
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don was getting off with his MOD powers Wink
99% Evil ® [MOD]

There were. There are no longer. I find that cutting off the troll's food supply works for the best. There's no discussion to be had here, especially if the only "discussion" is whining and name calling.
Zedsier
Undead!

Sadly, my posts were the most relevant. Sad
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O ok that makes sence then.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, what a temper tantrum. And he called us the kids Rolling Eyes

DeviantART|Brickshelf
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we need to talk about it. It's done, he will be gone, and that is the end of it.
Undead!

Wow... just wow, that's all I can say...
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

Yeah good point, sorry. I just wanted to point that out.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Xeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really. I don't get why he wanted the world to know. Why can't he just keep them to himself, and not spoil it for everyone else. Spoilers are s'post to be for previewing of cool stuff, not causing great arguments and banning on internet forums.
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, sersiously, I know Im not a MOD, but just stop talking about it. It's done, and thanks to the wonderful job of dWhisper, all the posts where deleted. NOW, we can let it go, and go on with life.
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:
Sadly, my posts were the most relevant. Sad

The first time... not the other three. Wink

Some decent posts got tossed too because it was quoting what I was deleting. Like I said... taking away the food.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the idea from my post, dwhisp! Wink
CaptMaarek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I gotta say is Luv you guys!

Now how about a group hug? huh? ::D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wondering now why I wasn't really rushing myself back?

I'm glad this dicussion has reached it's conclusion.

The policy is the policy, whether anyone likes it or not. Deal.

Life's not fair, neither is a website that we choose to come to that is set up and paid for and worked on by others in their spare time.

They set the rules, and too bad if you, me, or anyone else don't like them. There are really only two options... stay and deal, or leave.

Either way... whining and making poor arguments doesn't facilitate intellegent open-ended discussion.

So, glad it's over.

Anyone want to talk about 1999 sets? Very Happy
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, most of the 1999 sets have seen updates recently. Wonder if that will help us guess future sets. Wink
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this “discussion” all day today. In the end I have to side with the MODs and the Administrators. I rarely make posts, but I think that some members have forgotten what we’re all here for. Like getting solid information and share our love of a great product.
Upcoming sets are a fascination with me, but that is why I go to eurobrick. Though many times I first hear about it here and then go there to check it out. I can’t take it too seriously over there because much of it is speculation.
The main reason for coming to this site is accuracy. If a thread is posted and not locked, then I know I can rely on the information or that it’s useful. Example: Dealing with shelf space, ways to display sets, and stories people tell about how LEGO is integrated into their adult lives. My interests tend to follow more AFOL lines. I was recently helped out by the fact that someone noticed the wrong head was with the Republic Cruiser. I was prepared to contact LEGO before I bought it, and correct it when I purchased that set. Those are the types of threads that are helpful.
I look at the policies at this site as like going over to someone’s house. I would never try to break (or bend) the rules in someone else’s place. It’s just common courtesy. That is how people should view threads. If someone came into my house and disrespected me, they would be leaving as a greasy spot.
I notice that some members try to push these rules right up to the edge, and then walk right over it. My guess is these are younger members. They are at the age when they are compelled to question rules, largely due to the fact that they haven’t experienced enough life to understand why things are the way they are. Rules that I thought were stupid when I was young now make sense. Now I have to administer those same rules to my kids, because now, I get it.
Today we live in a microwave world. We just want to push a few buttons and get a feast in just seconds. We want everything faster, better and with less effort. Why do we have to bludgeon a topic on a future set to death, and then have nothing to talk about when these sets are released six months later?
One of the things FBTB might want to consider is raising the age limit for this site. I tend to find a lot of total crap that “youngsters” start threads on. Who cares what people are eating or crapping or what sets LEGO should make next? All of these things aren’t helpful to this community in the long run. What is this site to me? I get good information that will help me with Star Wars LEGO related topics.
I don’t know any of the MODs or Administrators, but I can appreciate what they do. Many of these people have jobs, bills to pay, marriages and kids. Yet with all the burdens of life, they still manage this site and do a fine job of it. It shows great dedication to their passion of LEGO. It can’t be easy checking in here everyday just to have some snot-nosed brat (who can’t even begin to imagine what real life is) calling MODs Nazis because he can’t abide by the rules. We should be thanking these folks, not bitching at them.
I’m getting off of my soap box now… it’s been crushed under the weight of this post.
The Department of Redundancy Department
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that thepatient - glad to hear even lurkers are on the ball.

Anyways, I guess I missed out on the real festivities because I went to the fair around 5:15 today... looks like my prediction was true and AC got himself banned though. So, to the forum at large: carry on. Smile
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Angel Alita wrote:
Out of curiousity,
How many posts are edited/deleted/locked per day, per week, per month?

99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, when did I start a challenge for using "less than nice" language? I've always talked like that, and if anyone has issue with me being mean when stupidity rains several threads at once, so be it. Given what I removed from this thread... believe me, it had to go.

This is a site with only one controlling party, and it will stay that way. I can't think of an internet community that doesn't have a moderator team. It will vary what they do, but all of them have a team that controls the ebb and flow, as well as enforcing the rules. Ones that sit back and play passive tend to be consumed by pointlessness and spam. But it's not a Totalitarian state... you're free to express your opinion. In the correct way. You won't see votes on policy, because as this thread shows, opinions are all over the place.

This thread hasn't been locked because we do care what people think, but it's in no way a challenge, any more than yelling at a mountain to get out of the way will see it skipping off. Respect the Brick is here to stay.

I'm not sure anyone keeps track of what's locked or deleted... we all have better things to do than that. We do keep track of who happens to cause those problems... typically, it's a handful of people.

And none of the MODs are whipmasters or shepherds. Shepherds are actually there to keep things away from the sheep, which we do to a point, not to guide them. That's for fences and dogs. Whipmasters enjoy torturing people, which I only do to a few people that feel the need to disagree with everything posted, be it so simple as "the sky is blue."

I see most of us more like old-time Catholic schoolteachers (yes, you're seeing my inner nun fantasy). We're very nice, say a kind word, and sit back. But act up in class and we're more than willing to beat you with a ruler in front of everyone.

You're allowed quiet discontent, and you can PM a MOD or Admin to talk about your opinion. We'll be glad to discuss it with you, assuming that's what you're looking for. If you're just sending us a whiny complaint, it's likely to be deleted. If you're looking to attack us or the site, we talk about how big of a ruler to use on your knuckles. We do discuss these things you know.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Angel Alita wrote:
I doubt the rash of deleting / editing in this thread was really needed. Although I may not miss those, it has become excessive at this point.
We've given warnings, we've edited posts, and in return we got a lot of negative attitude not just towards the policy, but towards us. When we made the rule clear the thread was in violation, and leaving it open or even visible would be a glaring contradiction. No useful information was lost though but I don't see how it was excessive at all.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, nuns with rulers. Please don't post pictures of you in your nun's costume.

The shepherd/whipmaster/nun comment is because I expect more from the Mods.
CoC wrote:
Management is dedicated to providing a friendly and welcoming community to all.

1. Use of inappropriate language will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, statements, images, usernames, and words that are sexual, vulgar, obscene, profane, defamatory, abusive, hateful, bigoted, or otherwise offensive to others; thinly-veiled obscenities (using alternate letters/symbols); harassment and verbal attacks intended to belittle, humiliate, threaten, or cause embarrassment to another Member; and material advocating or discussing illegal activities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread for since it started and I thought I'd weigh in with my 2¢.

I agree with the policy of Respect the Brick. LEGO releases catalogs with preliminary pictures to dealers so they can get an idea of what the sets will look like. They are not "official" in any way because 1) they are not meant for general viewing by the public, and 2) they are not necessarily the final versions of the products. When LEGO officially releases information about the sets, which are generally well before the sets themselves hit the shelves, we will have many spirited discussions about them.

Because LEGO wants to keep the images in the dealer catalogs restricted to buyers, we should not go against their wishes. That's where the "respect" part comes in. I used to work in retail books and we would get the new Harry Potter books about a week before they were to go on sale, but everyone in the store knew that we couldn't read them or let the general public know that they were in the back room. Part of it is making sure that all parties involved are treated equally. If you want to visit other sites that feature the leaked info, go right ahead, but you don't expect to find it here.

As for the activity of the MODs and ADMINs here, I support it. This is the only web site of which I am an active (or semi-active considering how much I actually post) member. I come here because it is different from other web sites. There is a code of decency and respect for members that I find lacking in most other forums. Members are expected to conduct themselves in a civilized manner. That includes debating. As long as someone uses rational arguments and clearly states their opinion, all is well. When that arguments become personal attacks, something needs to be done, even if that includes removing posts or banning a member. I saw enough of what went on in this thread to realize that some of it needed to be removed. I've never seen any instance where I thought the action was unwarranted.

In short, everyone is welcome here, but you've got to play nice or you you'll be asked to leave.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAA: It's simple - when a member shows clear disrespect for the site and staff, we have to become a little more blunt about it. That may come off as rude but that's what it takes to get the point across some times. If a member breaks the rules, they're subject to reprimand... and we're not going to sugar coat it if that member is being an idiot. We don't want idiots on this forum. Idiots are not welcome.

Also, if at any time anyone thinks we are being unfair or thinks the site is unwelcoming or unfriendly due to the staff or the members, they're welcome to leave or at least take a break if discussing it does not work. No one is forcing anyone to read this and we want to improve the site for everyone.
Gumby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is, which do you prefer:

Discussing the UCS Millenium Falcon when LEGO released the large, clear, well-presented photographs way back in Feb?

or

Discussing the latest Imperial craft based on some crappy, blurry dealer's catalog scan?

I hope my stance on the RTB policy is clear here. Smile
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm not a big UCS fan, and like seeing people get worked up over nothing - the second one. Wink

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: