FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respect the Brick, or I will eat your soul.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Respect the Brick, or I will eat your soul. Reply with quote

No more pussy-footing around.

Here's the deal. I'm tired of the backlash we're getting about the RTB policy. It's time for your knuckleheads to put on your big boy underwear and get over it, or leave. Period. What it all boils down to is that this is a privately owned website with rules established by the owner of said website. This is not a democracy. We don't care if you hate the Respect The Brick rule, it's in place for a reason. The majority of this site has no problem abiding by the rules, and the minority is expected to do the same if they want to stay on everyone's good side.

I say this because we ARE going to continue locking posts, and we ARE going to continue to crack down on you few dingbats who think it's cool to post leaked info, and think that you're sticking it to the man by doing so. By the way, guess what? You look like an idiot. Which, I gotta admit, I find pretty humorous, because you're wasting your time by sticking it to a man that really doesn't have a whole heckuva lot of power in the world (no offense to the man). Nevertheless, you still look like an idiot, and you should probably think long and hard in regards to whether or not you want to be known like that in this community. You're not a hero, and you're not fighting for a better cause. You're pissing and moaning about one little rule on one little website that you can freely walk away from if you don't like.

This is a private sandbox, just like nearly every other website on the internet. And despite my strong-armed approach in the previous paragraph, you really ARE wanted here. That's the God's-honest truth. Just please, for the love of Mike, PLAY NICE and RESPECT THE BRICK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wanted? Wink

Can we still discuss pictures we've seen, or is that now not allowed too?

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd recommend against it, but for something a bit beyond respect the brick...

The MODs are all aware that the pics are out there, and what they have in them. We know there's this desire to talk about them, but there are a few important things to know about them.

And the most important is that they really, really suck. They're awful quality snapshots taken on a cell phone camera or something similar of an early prototype picture. We get one view of a set and that is certainly something that should not have judgment passed on it. LEGO is always changing a set, testing it out, and perfecting it. Look at some of the leaps past sets have taken against early photos and the later sets (the Motorized AT-AT and Sith Infiltrator come to mind).

It really diminishes the fun of what LEGO is to over-analyze one picture and pass all kinds of judgement. There are tons of discussions to be had around this. The most interesting reading in the 2008 thread is the past couple of pages about EU source material.

People writing micro-reviews for a picture doesn't add anything. There's no real discussion to be had for most of this, because they're just not ready for public review. Discussing it is really a moot point, and Respect the Brick really runs in opposition to it. A few extra weeks of waiting for good pics won't kill any of us.
The Sissy CSI

Location: In the days before custom avatars... Real name: The Sissy Jedi...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Whoh!

*Respects the Brick*
Falcon Man

Location: In a tree. Species: Human, I think. Cheese: Wait, what?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank God! I'm so tired of all these topics popping up that will probably be locked anyway! Like Collin said before, it makes you look like an idiot. They just take up space in the forums.

Please people, Respect The Brick!
General Veers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you only eat half my soul?
I still owe some of it to the devil...... Wink
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
HJR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole 'respect the brick' thing came from a time when Tim got the deal with LEGO that he got high-res images of new Star Wars LEGO sets first, and so he liked to wait with putting out pics and discussing sets only after these quality pictures appeared; which was only natural, in my opinion. However, since then these 'official' images started to pop up at other sites than FBTB (I think it was ILTCO who once got LEGO's premiere of a few Star Wars sets) and the whole idea got lost somehow.

I haven't heard of a single car site where people do not discuss the new Ferrari or new Mercedes when the first spy shots appear from the Nürnburgring or the Stelvio pass, but wait until after the car is officially revealed. Why? Because it's stupid to do so. The info is on the street, and just as it is Mercedes' risk to drive around in prototypes which people can spot, so is the risk of LEGO by distributing preliminary pictures to potential clients and other parties.

I think it's an utopian thought that the mods on this site can prevent people showing pics of new sets or discuss them when they widely appear on eurobricks.com, lowlug.nl, imperiumdersteine.de or brickshelf.com. People get excited, and so they place the Star wars LEGO pics they found on the site where they think this news belongs; FBTB, the Star Wars LEGO website. And instead of people getting exited and discussing details and how the product looks, they get a storm of protest (I know I did when I posted the first pics of the new Yoda minifig). And all because of what? Because the pictures are of a bad quality? Don't due just to the final product? That's a bit of a limited excuse, isn't it?

FBTB used to be THE Star Wars LEGO website for me, as I knew that if leaked images were out there, a few days later FBTB would have the 'real deal', but this is no longer the case. So instead of coming here and discussing sets, I'd rather go to other sites (which is, frankly, all LEGO related websites except for FBTB) and talk about news, rather than do it here. In that point of view, FBTB has lost it's main purpose for me, and I only come here to see some MOCs which I don't find on other sites, and that's it.

And that's a pity, because the site has a much better potential.
Nautolan Jedi Master

Location: Wimbledon | I Hear A Thunder In the distance, see a vision of a cross |Gender: Male

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for enforcing this, Collin.
It is a rule, and rules aren't meant to be broken, so once again, thank you.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...reading HJR's post was a great eye-opener into the past of FBTB.

In late 2005, FBTB got images of the Jan '06 sets, and the forum went wild. I assumed this was because FBTB had never got images from LEGO before. I was wrong.

And now seeing what LEGO had done in the past makes me wonder how LEGO holds FBTB? StarWars.com used to be a place where all new LEGO was found for me (in fact, I got the FBTB through something I found on SW.com), but now, we haven't had any new System sets announced since the Star Destroy and the Sail Brge in Jan '06. Are LEGO accepting that people will find these leaked pics and not bothering to announce their sets because everyone already knows about them?

If that is true, I feel sorry for LEGO.

Darth Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with HJR. I find myself frequenting eurobricks much more often than here, mostly due to the fact that leaked information can be discussed.

This doesn't mean that I want to break FBTB's forum rules; just that I don't entirely agree with the policy.
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's annoying to wade through 30 pages of nonsense about a set that turns out to be nothing like the prototype once it's finally released.

It's just annoying. That's exactly the reason why I don't go to Eurobricks or almost any other site for news.

Personally speaking, even if it wasn't a forum rule, I abide by it simply because it's kind of a common sense rule.

Not "respecting the brick" is pretty much like talking about what you'd buy when you win the lottery that you haven't actually won.

Fanciful, but in the end, pretty much just full of a ton of hot air.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yippee...another topic on a subject where mods get flak.

Why isn't this thread a single post, locked, and stickied at the top of this forum?
Then I don't have to keep hearing the mods hardline it.
Oh, wait it is.
Hmm, why bother locking the other Suggestions thread on this same topic?

I'll side with HJR that it hurts FBTB more than it helps. I'll disagree with the mods' Opinion are crud and aren't worth the look.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding your posts harder and harder to understand BAA... Confused

Something I don't understand is that this is not a new policy - everyone knows about it, it's always been here, so why the recent firestorm?

I thought it was more widely known how the policy was started. It's obviously not the case anymore, but that was one of the defining features of the site. That faded a away over time as leaked images were more and more prevalent. Now it's more of a bylaw or tradition, because so many of the staff and veteran members like it. They understand the benefit and know were to go if they legitimately want to discuss any of it.

Now, the policy itself is little more than a "no spoiler" rule that loads of fan forums employ when a new book or movie is coming out - we're just applying it to a product release. And just as on those other forums with different focuses - we're not trying to prevent you from seeing the info, we're just saying don't post about it here. If your only reason to come to a forum is to discuss leaked info - you've come to the wrong place. If that means FBTB isn't the Star Wars LEGO site to you, then oh well. The site can and will get by without you.

The threads where the info is currently discussed accounts for a very tiny portion of the forum at large. Really, if we were to crack down 100% then maybe half a dozen threads would be removed and a few scattered posts would have to be fixed - that's it. It'd be like clipping a fingernail, not losing a leg.

That being said, the staff has decided to clarify this policy for everyone, and I'll be cleaning up around here tonight to make sure we're all within the bounds. To recap:
>>> The "Respect the Brick" Policy is now part of the CoC <<<
And if you spot any threads or posts you think may have slipped through, please feel free to PM me or any staffer and we'll make sure it's where it needs to be.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJR wrote:
...snip. And that's a pity, because the site has a much better potential.

Potential for what? Potential to have thirty pages of blithering crap about speculation and rumors where for every concrete shred of shred of proof there's a dozen lies concocted by some 12-year-old who claims his uncle's ex-girlfriend's neighbor's cousin who works at the LEGO box factory saw a reflection of a picture of new sets on somebody's computer screen. And then when the inevitable mimeograph image of the Slovakian dealer catalog comes up, featuring an image hand-drawn by the designer, the entire thread turns into a massive circle jerk of 'woots', 'OMFGs' and 'told ya so's'. If this is the sort of thing that holds special meaning for you and there's other sites that encourage it, then by all means take your business elsewhere. In the meantime, those of us who enjoy meaningful discussion of images that do not require the latest CIA enhancement technology to decipher will be here doing so.

And while we're on the subject, there is/was no hard and fast agreement between LEGO and FBTB concerning new set images. There's a policy in place here, LEGO has made images available in the past, but there's no direct correlation between the two. Maybe it's about time we pulled our collective heads out of the sand and stopped demanding or expecting special treatment from LEGO with respect to set images. They're generally still available well in advance of the sets being on store shelves giving even the most rampant fan time enough to debate, argue and otherwise drool until he's blue in the face.

At any rate, a round of applause for the admins and mods for spelling it out for the new members and knuckleheads otherwise too dense to get it.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS: I don't get why RtB as a "Policy" cannot be challenged.

I am disturbed that the mods do not allow discussion of the policy.
It appears that mods vehemently oppose discussion about their decisions.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And what part of "this is not a democracy" did you not catch?

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Akward Chewbacca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:

People are gonna start leaving if you guys keep locking any thread with the words, New and the number 2008...

Darth Andrew wrote:
I gotta agree with HJR. I find myself frequenting eurobricks much more often than here, mostly due to the fact that leaked information can be discussed.

This doesn't mean that I want to break FBTB's forum rules; just that I don't entirely agree with the policy.

i agree too. the brick policy is crock.
I went to a swamp down in daggobah where it bubbled all the time like a giant carbinated soda S-O-D-A soda. I saw the little runt sitting there on a log, I asked him his name and in a raspey voice he said Yoda Y-O-D-A yoda, yo yo yo yo yoda...
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we'll be a better community for it. There are plenty of places on the internet to talk about the leaked material. Anyone that wants to know why we do this should feel free to PM a MOD/Admin. Any of us would be glad to explain the policy and why we follow it.

And once they're officially released, I'm sure that the "new" and "2008" thread will be very popular and a lot more useful than the one that was removed.
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I mean, Eurobricks has their whole front page covered in pictures! Just because we have SpeaknSpell doesn't mean we should have to rule out disscussion of leaked sets.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Akward Chewbacca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
And we'll be a better community for it. There are plenty of places on the internet to talk about the leaked material. Anyone that wants to know why we do this should feel free to PM a MOD/Admin. Any of us would be glad to explain the policy and why we follow it.

And once they're officially released, I'm sure that the "new" and "2008" thread will be very popular and a lot more useful than the one that was removed.

no one cares about disscussing current sets that much, if it wernt for, well i cant even talk about them now, talking about 2008 sets, i wouldnt come here ever. If i want to find information about a lego set, i can just go to lego.com.

Why dont you just copy and paste the entire lego site on here, cuse thats what its turning in to. you guys are nazis.
I went to a swamp down in daggobah where it bubbled all the time like a giant carbinated soda S-O-D-A soda. I saw the little runt sitting there on a log, I asked him his name and in a raspey voice he said Yoda Y-O-D-A yoda, yo yo yo yo yoda...
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is keeping you here. Feel free to log out whenever you like and go elsewhere.

Besides... there are 34 pages of Falcon discussion, 14 pages of AT-AT, and enough things in the LEGO, MOCs, and BCS to keep people busy forever. Seems that there is plenty of discussion to be had around existing stuff and people doing creative things.

Sure, if all you want are pictures to look at, LEGO.com is your place to get them, or you can go elsewhere to get leaked pics. If you want some actual discussion about existing sets and creative builders, feel free to stay and enjoy the place.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I don't see whats so hard to understand about the RTB policy Confused
It makes perfect sence to me, and I am completely ok with it.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akward Chewbacca wrote:
Cello Collin wrote:

People are gonna start leaving if you guys keep locking any thread with the words, New and the number 2008...

Pardon me for being crass, but boo-freakin-hoo. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, n00b. Rolling Eyes
Akward Chewbacca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the 12 year old calling me a "n00b" which isn't even a word.

The "repect the brick" rule says, and i Quote! "Secondly, information about LEGOs future products is very valuable to their competitors..."end quote.

WHAT LEGO COMEDITORS! Lego doesn't have any competitors and the sense that they have really only Mega Blocks to compete against, and it's not even really a competitor. They make mediocre products that aren't even that much cheaper in the US. Tycho doesn't even exist here anymore. Not to mention, the last company that had a similiar product was sued and they had to take the line off the shelves. So in short, to say that information about Lego's upcoming lego sets are of no use because nobody can make a product close to theirs without passing some sort of copywrite law that Lego has with the "Lego Brick."
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but you are being a n00b. The RTB is there for a reason, so don't try and make the ADMINs change it. More respected members than you have tried.

Akward Chewbacca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously, the rule should be changed if more "respeccted people" have complained about it. It's stupid that the rule is there in the first place. We're here to talk about legos, shouldn't that encompass EVERYTHING about legos?
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the discussion will encompass everything about LEGO, when we get official pics in a few months.

Akward Chewbacca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is going to want to talk about the new sets when they come out, cuse there will be nothing to talk about! people want to hear what they are gonna be like now, not when they come out. If you people ran a store you would go bankrupt in a week!
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?!

People wanted to see pics of the sets in June/July time when we heard of them. Does that mean we should hack into LEGO's site and steal the pictures so we can have a few pages of saying how ACPin/DonSolo/another great MOCer could do better?

And I'd just like to point out that the sets are not yet available, so if we were running a store, how could we go bankrupt by not selling sets that aren't available.

Face it, your fighting a losing battle against the whole of FBTB - the ADMINs, the MODs, the regulars. Just accept it and move on.

Big Pete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akward Chewbacca wrote:

I truly wish you would leave ... it's clear that you don't like the rules around here. It really should be clear to you, by now, that however much you protest about them, nothing is going to change ... and yet, you're still here! Question

As has been stated here MANY times ... there are plenty of other forums that do allow discussion of leaked info, so please, take the hint, and go and talk about them there, not here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: