FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10030 UCS Star Destroyer Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: 10030 UCS Star Destroyer Review Reply with quote

Review of the 10030 UCS Star Destroyer

I was very excited when I got the huge box. (With huge I mean really huge!)
I immediately opened it, was impressed from the four inner boxes and the instruction.
The parts in the bags were mostly sorted so I could start building immediately.
I started with the outer parts of the ship. It took most of the big plates.
With that three days of building fun started. You had to do some parts twice, four times or even 32 times, but it was absolutely not repetitive. Building was a lot of fun.
And the complete modul parts looked very impressive.

But then, at day 4 I tried to connect all the parts.
It was so unstable! I never managed to connect the lower outer parts to the body.
It smashed at several parts, the magnets did not hold it at all. It was no fun anymore!
Then the bridge parts. They were unstable as well. While trying to connect the lower bridge part with the upper part it smashed and hit two of my most worthful minifigs. They are broken now. Sad

Finally, somehow I managed to keep it together. It still stood at the floor, so I wanted to carry it to a shelf.
Arriving at the shelf it was broken again.

I am very disappointed Confused

Building the bricks: 9/10
connecting the parts: 1/10
Size: huge
Detail: 10/10

FlickrBrickshelf
Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Andi!

Let's Go Ducks!
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I never had any problems with stability. The whole thing came together fine. You must be the clumsiest person on earth Razz Wink
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam89 wrote:
Strange, I never had any problems with stability. The whole thing came together fine. You must be the clumsiest person on earth Razz Wink

Well, I don't know.
But you can ask my parents and my friend what difficulties I had and how many screams and yells came out of my room today.

Here are some photos from the building process. I did not make photos from the crashs, I was too angry, annoyed and such things.
http://flickr.com/photos/hansolo401/

FlickrBrickshelf
General Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! a 10030 review.

I've been trying to convince my parents to get me one for Xmas, so this could be helpful Smile

BTW, great review.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
JayfoZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For moving it from one place to another, I'd suggest stripping it to it's frame and putting the other parts back on when you put it down. That's what I did.

Also, I had no problem with stability, but the beams did bend after a while and the magnets didn't hold the hull together anymore. I'm sure there are some solutions to this though.

Location: Dwelling in the darkness making goofy faces at everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the review.

I don't think I'm going to be getting this set anymore. Atleast not until I can figure out ways of making it sturdier.

"You are fortunate, my enemy. You have paid the price but once. I never stop paying."-Cursed Ronin. MTG
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not difficult to modify this set to make it sturdier.

I added some more support beams inside and a few more magnets and mine has been on display for over a year with no sagging. I can even swoosh it around if I want to.
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the pics it the UCS sd has a similar build style to the 6211 sd. Starting with that internal triangle. Not sure why you had trouble with this, it looks simple to put together. Maybe you missed some parts during construction. I don't know. The magnets look as though they are suppose to hold other sections to it. There are instructions on brickshelf showing how to mod the nose section to avoid the sag. Don't fret andi, with a bit of modding you could make it really solid.

The force is strong with this one......
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star_wars_rules wrote:
Don't fret andi, with a bit of modding you could make it really solid.

No thanks, I have closed with that set. It's already at Ebay.
I stick with the smaller one.

But Voice of Reason would you tell us your secrets, and maybe even show some photos how you modded it? It could help others to keep the disappointment smaller or even totally away.

One last photo:

FlickrBrickshelf
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on brickshelf they are there. I have seen them.

The force is strong with this one......
Ara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this set is getting a bad wrap with all these reports of instability etc. Mine's also been on display for over a year. The only problem I've ever had with it was caused by a high velocity feline knocking one of the underside panels loose. Easiest fix I've ever had to do. Just lift the panel back into place and snap, the magnets do the rest.
Psx0005

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:

No thanks, I have closed with that set. It's already at Ebay.
I stick with the smaller one.

Sorry to hear your frustration and disappointment with the set Andi Confused
I don't recall running into the problems that you ran into while putting my set together which was over a year and half ago. Set is still standing, only issue I ran into was hyper-excited cocker spaniel running into the port side of the ship causing both top and bottom panels to separate but that was quickly remedied Smile

I have nothing but love for TLG, but just makes me wonder if their quality control might have a tad to do with some of your experience perhaps? Only saying this because out of the last couple of 2007 SW sets I've bought, I've had to already call Lego Customer Service to have parts replaced because I'd end up getting two identical pieces instead of two alternating pieces (i.e. two left wing pieces instead of left and right).

Anyways, sorry that you were one of the few that had a negative experience with this otherwise excellent set!
General Veers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this set for Christmas, so here's a nice little review of it Smile

Parts: 8/10- A very wide range of parts

Minifigs: 0/10- it didn't come with any...

Detail: 10/10- it's a UCS. what did you expect? Wink

Playability: 2/10- get creative. find a bunch of minis, and have a giant war around it. or have it act as a flagship.

Price to parts: 6/10- I didn't get some of the required parts, but they were easily found.

Availability: 4/10- I'm pretty sure it's only available at lego.com...

OVERALL RATING: 8/10 average.

I'm very satisfied with my Destroyer. I'm still showing it off to my friends and family Smile I should have pics up soon.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Inzane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am part way through the build and so far really enjoying it. I am following the proper sequence as per the instructions. So the structural skeleton was built first, then the rear with the engines, then the two larger lower panels. Everything went together perfectly so far.

Can't wait to get back to building more of it. (Because of time committments I'll have to spread it over the evenings all week, a couple hours here a couple hours there...).
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished building this in two marathon sittings the last two nights. All I can say is, "Wow!"ShockedShocked This baby is absolutely stunning. Even the pictures, which looked cool, didn't do it justice. This is just something that needs to be beheld to be believed. My main problem now is finding a place to display it.

As stated, you start of building the triangular frame first. The one thing I didn't realize until later is that you actually build the same frame twice, and then flip one over to attach it. It might have been easier to build them simultaneously, rather than one after another, but what are you going to do? This part was actually pretty enjoyable except for the part where you have to essentially build the same part 32 times (16 for each triangle). Granted, these are the greebled pieces that run around the outside perimeter, so its time well spent. It just got a little repetitious, that's all.

Next came the rear panel and the 4 other panels (2 on bottom, 2 on top). These were pretty simple and straightforward. My only snag came when I realized my instructions were missing a page. Fortunately, I was able to look forward to the mirror image for the other side and reverse-engineer it for the side I was working on. It sounds complicated, but it was actually fairly simple. The thing people need to remember here is that the magnets are NOT the primary means of holding these on. They used the same type of method they did with the 6211 with bricks attached to technic rods to connect the panels along the outer edge. The magnets then hold the piece in place along the centerline.

Finally we came to the two pieces that would form the bridge (and the area below it). This was probably my favorite part. They used lots of those square technic bricks in new and interesting ways. Plus, there was lots of symmetry (which I love) which makes things easy to build. As usual, the greebled pieces tend to slow you down, but the end result looks so great that its hard to fault them for it. Plus, if they didn't include them, it would probably just look like a gray piece of crap, so I played along. I did find it a little odd that these pieces didn't actually connect to the main chassis, but simply sat on top of it. This does, however, make it easy to remove them for fixes or to move it around (Just reach inside and grab it by the frame).

The only other UCS I've built so far is the Death Star, and the two are definately comparable in size and price. However, having now built and seen both, I have to agree with others when they say that the Star Destroyer just stomps the ever-loving crap out of the Death Star. I mean, I love the Death Star too, but when it comes down to sheer scale and awesomeness, the Star Destroyer just owns. After I was done, I really couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I kind of felt like a pervert who can't stop eyeing up the mannequins at Victoria's Secret. You'd think that something that was entirely gray would be boring to look at, but you'd be thinking wrong. Every time I look at it, I notice some subtle new detail that just makes me marvel at LEGO's enginuity (which I was doing the whole time I was building it).

At $200, this baby was a bargain. For those of you still on the fence about it: Get off the fence and go order it already!! At this price, you can't afford not to.
Ara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently re-assembling mine after having parted it for Captital SHIP mocs. Still a great build. Still a great display...for the Lego room. Large grey wedges do nothing for a living room.

BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this set this last summer. Was quite a fun build. It went together really well and the instructions were pretty clear (still had problems figuring out if that little piece was black or just dark grey...). Only irk I had was that on the top panels, they didn't seem to fit together as well as they should have. Great set for $200 though. It's now disassembled into a parts bin. Razz
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miraculously mine is still put together. I took it down from the top shelf and dusted it off the other day and remembered how unstable the base on it is.

When I get time I'd like to tinker with it and see if I can't make the base more stable and the interior more usable. Other than that it is still one of my favorite sets. After all it is a gorram star destroyer.

Ara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking my time so I thought I'd post a couple pics. I hope they're not too big.
I had to store the main body in it's display location because it's so big and it took up too much of my already huge building surface.

Meanwhile I'm working on the upper decks

Days of fun.
Very Happy

BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(They're too big) Wink
Inzane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:
I just finished building this in two marathon sittings the last two nights.

When I built mine I started on a sunday, spent most of the day on it, then because of work I had only evenings after that so I spent 2-3 hours a night from Mon-wed/thur. I think in all, I probably had somewhere in the range of 17-20 hours to build it to completion.

Now here's the funny part. I took it apart recently to put it away and it must've taken me 3 HOURS just disassembling and sorting in order to store it away. Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: