FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7661 Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive Ring Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scitvs
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. This is General Kenobi's Utapauian Eta II.

><>
TheDarkness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished building this last night and it certainly stands out in the collection. The splash of colour through the design is great against the usual greys. Took me a little while to build (I am still a novice with Lego) but it kept me content. I agree with the flick missiles on sets, they are a bit of a pain, so I will look to get some pieces to lock them into place further down the road
neutron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIG wrote:
So this color combination JSF was used on Utapuia?

yeah, its almost hard to telll in the movie though. Anakin flew it for awhile in the movie too.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he didn't. The JSF he used was green.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neutron wrote:
PIG wrote:
So this color combination JSF was used on Utapuia?

yeah, its almost hard to telll in the movie though. Anakin flew it for awhile in the movie too.

Master Fetty is right, Anakin flew a green one after his yellow one got destroyed.

Let's Go Ducks!
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Tossing my review in with this one. That's what's wrong with using two computers. I'd hit new on one screen, reply on the other... posted on the wrong one. Wink

That's right... I finally buckled down and purchased a few new LEGO sets. Those who are familiar with my BCS topic on this sort of endeavor know how big of a deal that is. Of course... in that style, I picked up 4 sets while I was out (MTT, Jedi Starfighter, Naboo Starfighter, and another Droid Battle box), so, you know...

I'm back, baby!

That being said, I opted to start with the Jedi Starfighter. First impressions... Kit Fisto is a nifty fig with an odd head. LEGO, I'm willing to pay $1 more a set for a chrome Lightsaber. Take note...

Obi-Wan's headset is a gold color; it's not apparent on the box, but looks quite nice up close.

Okay, my first annoyance of this set comes quickly. The first parts are all tiny things, a 2x4 plate, a 1x2 hinge, and a 1x2 plate. Ick. I just dumped these bags out and I'm looking for the smallest parts... not cool. It's been awhile since I built one of these, but it doesn't seem like they've changed anything on the starfighter. I may have to dig the old one out and take a look at it to verify.

The lack of colors in this set make finding bricks somewhat annoying. This set could have really benefited from numbered bags.

Hmmm... seems like the cockpit area is a bit more sturdy, thus far. Maybe... someone, is the ship different between this version and the others? The annoying engine parts on the axle are still there, and the crapptackular landing gear, so meh.

LEGO, stickers still suck. I'm willing to pay more for printed blocks too!.

Okay, I skimmed through the instructions for Ani's Jedi Starfighter. Night and day body differences... the new version is far, far more stable. It's not even in the same ballpark. Nice job LEGO in fixing some of the issues.

Unfortunately, like I said, the landing gear are unchanged, and they stunk in the old one too. The cockpit hinge, on the other hand... far, far better than the old single-hinge design. However, the new "elaborate" technic system comes with a trade-off... there's no tension to it, so it flips open hard when you pull it up.

The wings are relatively unchanged. They're blue though, and blue is better than yellow. Plus, a gold astromech head. Nifty.

Starting the ring... there's a whole lot of repetition, with just enough deviation to annoy you when you have to undo something. It's really an interesting build though, something wholly unique in the grand scheme of things. I'm still curious how it will all work once it's built.

Once the ring is built, it makes a fancy necklace, though a bit unwieldy. I wonder how it'd do as a frisbee? Oh, and you have to build two of the rings.. it's an easy point to miss. Once you put those two together, you get to put in 40 blue technic pin things on one step! Fun for all!

It's not very sturdy, that's my first impression. It's too big and flexible, so it can bow out and stuff will pop off. However, once you start to add the plates, it gets a bit better. You keep going, and it continues to get even better. Once you're ready to build the engines, you have a very nice ring going.

The engines are probably the coolest part of the whole build. Unfortunately, at the end, you put in two "missiles" that basically just sit there. Honestly, I'd rather do without than putting these things there, which will fall out with a swift sneeze in the next room.

The mounting of the ship to the ring is actually quite creative. It just slides into place, but tension holds it quite well. That being said... the ship looks very cool sitting on a desk. I question how swooshable it would be. Picking it up, I'm just afraid it'd break apart.

Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10):

Parts: 6/10 - Nothing earth-shattering, but I really like the dark blue colors. Having stickers is the entire reason for the loss of points here.
Minifigs: 6/10 - Points off for only including 2 figs in a $50 set; I like hte idea of 1 fig per $10, and they could have done something to make it happen.
Detail: 9/10 - Very nice looking ship when it's all together.
Playability: 4/10 - It just feels fragile picking it up.
Price to parts: 6/10 - Yes, it's a good price/parts ratio at $0.09 per, but most of those parts are technic pins, axles, and joints. Outside of that, there are probably 150 traditional blocks in the set. However, bonus points for the white half-cylinder holes.
Availability: 10/10 - I've had no issues finding this set anywhere. As soon as the mid-2007 started showing up, everyone had it
OVERALL RATING: 6/10 - A good set, worth the money, I suppose, but somewhat disappointing with stickers, fragility, and not enough figures. It feels like it should be about $10 for the money...

Sorry about the lack of pictures, the few I took didn't come out quite right, so I had to scrap them.
Luke Nightcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review btw, DWhisper, but I still don't understand your guys' issues
with stickers! I mean the only sets I found were annoying due to stickers were Exo-force. And, if you plan on MOC-ing, say you have a piece that there is only one of and it's primary colour is the colour you need, but the design on it is wrong and will mess up the whole thing? Would you rather have an easily removeable sticker, or live with an innacurate creation because of paint? I know in at least 3 of my MOCs (which I plan on posting soon btw)I've done this simple task made possible by STICKERS!

(P.S. I was going to post this on the topic stickers, but that's old now and nobody reads it anymore Smile )

The Neimoidian Defence Legion Wants You!
Bob Fredric

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get it, after I get some battlepacks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: