FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ended: The A-Wing Vs. Tie Interceptor concept contests.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Ended: The A-Wing Vs. Tie Interceptor concept contests. Reply with quote

Hello again fellow FBTB members… Sorry for the delay once again, I was too busy as of late, but as promised, we continue the contest mayhem.

The same bla bla bla from last time, but please read if you are new to it:

If you remember a while ago in our recent hacked old boards, I had this idea of introducing a series of new concept vehicle contests based on the OT Star Wars movies.. I just simply called them the OT New Concept Vehicle Contests, where we the LEGO customizers try to be creative, innovative and competitive to produce some fresh new versions of the actual movie elements that we all loved and adored through out the years. This idea came to me after reading some of the trends we all hyped about (and made fun of) when we knew that Mr. Lucas might continuously keep modifying the OT movies with newer special versions…

Anyway, as a LEGO project I thought the idea is great for all of us to dig in and start coming up with some new fresh design ideas that allow builders to show some of their building skills.
Every contest will be focusing on a specific vehicle from the OT movies. The choice of such vehicles will mostly be determined by me, since I’m the host.
I have already assembled a line of judges that will help me out running these contests series and they are some of the most gifted and respected members around, and it’s a great pleasure of mine to work with them as a fan and as a friend. Keeping in mind that they could be replaced with new judges if someone chooses to step out for any personal reasons.
We will have a simple line of rules that will be applied on each contest. Those rules will be displayed in the announcing posts for you to follow… Each contest will have three different scaled categories for you to enter, where you can participate only one entry for each category. Hopefully those contests will keep your building enthusiasm on the rise for the next couple of years or so.
One winner only will be chosen and rewarded for each category, but for that to happen, each category must have at least four valid entries. In other words, no prize will be given if a particular category has less than four different entries.
The categories are:

-The Minifig/SE scaled (where you can fit minifigs in most of the vehicle in an appropriate position)
- The MINI scaled (too small for any minifg to fit in)

* Now, let us continue the fun …
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The A-Wing vs. Tie Interceptor Concept contests… Yes, this contest is basically three contests into one, and here how it works:

Create fresh new concepts for the fearful Imperial space fighter Tie Interceptor, and/or a new concept for one of the fastest fighters the Rebels ever had, the A-Wing, by following these simple rules:

- A) You could enter you’re A-Wing fighter alone, and you could win a prize. (The best overall entry)
- B) And you could enter you’re Tie Interceptor by it self, and could win another prize. (The best overall entry)
- C) Or you could enter both vehicles, and still you could win a third prize. (The best combo entry)... Neat, ha?

It’s your choice and your challenge.

-Try not to do something over-drastic where people cannot identify the vehicles at all. People should recognize what you are building, either if you choose to enter the cool Interceptor, and/or the very fast A-Wing fighter. But still you can be as abstract as you want to a certain degree.

-Use only true unmodified LEGO elements to build your creations. No cut, painted, brassoed, modified pieces will be allowed.

-CAD based creations are allowed.

-Only two different creations per category will be allowed. (Categories are: The Minifig/SE scaled, and the MINI scaled)

-Take some decent resized pictures (JPEG format) please, something around 800px-600px would be great. Also try to use some plain backgrounds.

-If you chose to enter in the minifig scaled category, please try to use a minifig piloting the fighter.

-Try to use some decent uniformed color schemes, remember we are not building rainbows with wings.

-One winner will be chosen in each category for each contest.

-You cannot enter the same model in the other categories. Duh!

-Each winner will be rewarded with a nice LEGO prize.

-Only links please, do not embed images.

-To grant prizes, I need to see at least four entries per contest, and a minimum of four entries per category. (For example: In order to win a prize in the A-Wing minifig contest, I should see at least: Entry A, Entry B, Entry C, and Entry D. The same goes for the minifig Tie Interceptor Contest, and the same goes for each MINI contest)

-Judges can enter to win too… But if a judge decides to enter in a certain category, he will be forfeiting his position as a judge for that particular category.

-I will announce the prizes later on.

-Remember that: The Minifig/SE scaled (where you can fit minifigs in most of the vehicle in an appropriate position). The MINI scaled (too small for any minifg to fit in).

- The deadline: July 20th 2005.

The judges for this contest are: Darkkazmo, RevB, Warhawk, and ThePaleMan.

Have fun guys.
Joseph.

Minifig A-Wing category:
- Gold-2.
- Schmeeb.
- Cheese.
- ApophisV.
- Fox-Primus.
- Jarman1.
- Fmoo.
- Mattm0220.
- BK.
- SpaceManMort.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minifig Tie Interceptor category:

- Erikutt.
- Renegade.
- Fmoo.
- Schism.
- Qzak.
- SpaceManMort.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINI A-Wing category:

- Bodman2.
- Cheerios4u98.
- Heffling.
- Mr. Commander Cody.
- Fmoo.
- Donrayiv.
- Madcapmagician.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINI Tie Interceptor category:

- Bodman2.
- Heffling.
- Fmoo.

My Brickshelf Gallery

Last edited by Darkkazmo on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:09 pm; edited 8 times in total
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky'd!

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can they be variants of the fighters? Or just the basic ship in people's perspectives.
gold_2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in. manomanoman I'm excited!

and without further ado, my entry for the minifig scale A-wing (and potentially for the combo contest as well).

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=100407

I'll just assume for now thhat older models are OK as the rules did not exclude them, although, technically the rules do state all those old TIE's from the first contest cannot be entered as TIE Interceptors. ::D: hope you guys left some ideas in your heads.
Roger C-T

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of entering previously created models in contests, but if it is allowed, I have something that could be A-Wingish. If not, I better get building!
porschecm2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome model, Gold 2, but knowing Kazmo's previous stance on such questions, I would say that's it's probably not allowed. Then again, I'm not in charge. Smile That is a sweet model though...

Cm2

MOCpages
gold_2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger C-T wrote:
I'm not a fan of entering previously created models in contests, but if it is allowed, I have something that could be A-Wingish. If not, I better get building!

while I would normally agree, I believe this model, and my X-wing/Naboo starfighter hybrid, were inspired by this contest and in anticipation of further contests, as this series of contests was originally supposed to follow along each other and eventually every ship was to be part of the contest. in other words, I didn't build a model and go "oh, it looks sorta like an A-wing, so I'll enter it" (although I have done so for other creations in other contests, where it too was not against the rules), it was designed as an A-wing concept. I don't have much time to build and don't get as many ideas as I'd like, so when I get them, even if I'm thinking ahead, I build them, and post them. sure, I could hold onto the pics for a while, but I'm just not the type to do that.

besides, its important that enough of each model of each contest be entered so each contest gets enough entries. does that make since? but if Joseph tells me its out, then I'll take it out. its up to him- he's the judge.
mikepsiaki

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my building molecules have been stirred again

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil hmm... As tempting as this seems I just might have to stick my foot in the door and join in on this contest although due to lacking of parts i might only be able to do an A-Wing Sad .

C'ya in a few months when I feel safest to post my creation Twisted Evil Muwahahahahaha! *caugh* Wink .
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, good thing this wasn't a Y-wing contest, because I demolished what I had of a Y-wing alternate yesterday. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gold_2 wrote:

while I would normally agree, I believe this model, and my X-wing/Naboo starfighter hybrid, were inspired by this contest and in anticipation of further contests, as this series of contests was originally supposed to follow along each other and eventually every ship was to be part of the contest.

That sums it up guys, some of those models that EJ did, were PMed to me a long time ago in advanced for these type of contests! I agree that he happened to post them a bit too early, but they were made initially for these contests.
I personally will allow them, but if the other judges disagree here, I would have to drop them. These contests are basically a team collaboration, and I am just one part of the equation.

Again, thanks for the anticipation people, and just let them roll.

My Brickshelf Gallery
Roger C-T

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't taking a dig at you personally gold. The comment was more aimed at myself Very Happy. Sorry if it came across that way.
schmeeb

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my contribution. hope you like it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=87316
imhotepidus

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaargh! I built a cool alternative TIE fighter a couple months ago, and tore it up for parts a week ago!

Now I gotta either rebuild a version of it (boring!) or come up with something even better (not boring, but hard!)

Imhotepidus

George Berkeley
Cheese

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here be my A-wing:

Deep:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Electric-Cheese/Alt-awing/awing1.jpg

Folder:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=130508

Enjoy! =)
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, does anyone start building something only to realize it doesn't fit in some way with the rest? I got some kick-butt wings for the interceptor started, but they're too small I just realized Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could still use them =] I started a Squint but I got fed up with it. I'm really proud of my wings for it though. Maybe I'll finish it someday Razz
schmeeb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iunno if this is kewl to enter a second model, but i made this tie interceptor a long while back.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=120011
ApophisV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my entry, an A-Wing, a TIE Interceptor might follow if I find the time...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice A-Wing Thing (tm) you got there, ApophisV! Looks a bit like a Old Republic Fighter I did a couple of weeks ago - no pictures, unfortunatly Confused
FoxPrimus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm to impatien to wait a for more weeks to post this so here it is my Alternate A-Wing. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=132011
darth baker

Location: Brain is currently unavailable. Please leave your message after the beep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swweeeeeeeet stuff!

My webby: www.freewebs.com/secret_pics
My Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=darth-baker
bodman2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yay! Me put in first MINI'S! Very Happy

I've entered under all 3 catagories in the MINI division.
Anyways... Here they are under this topic, enjoy...

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3002
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayayayay, I'm so behind on this! Tomorrow after work, I'll start working on this thread.

My Brickshelf Gallery
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pulling out, lest I gather the patience to use some CAD program for this by July or encounter some awesome sales before the deadline. Pity I can't take all 20,000 pieces of mine with me when I go on vacation for the next 2 months.
Cheerios4u98

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just made a cool MINI A-wing, I'll take pictures soon Very Happy

Edit: I have pictures, here is the maj folder (yes, it is public :p )
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=92258

edit: It's not working, I'll need to upload them to brickshelf.

edit AGAIN: well, for some reason it's working again. Am I going crazy?
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Theme=Aquazone

Last edited by Cheerios4u98 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Heffling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my entry into the contest, at the "Mini" scale.

The A-Wing starfighter was considered to be a fabulous success by the Rebel Alliance's experienced fighters due to it's superior mobility when compared to starfighters the empire would use. It found great success in space-based engagements, but limited use due to the skill required to pilot this model properly.

However, in atmospheric conditions the A-wing faired poorly. It lost much of it's additional mobility, and problems with the shield array creating significant drag resulted in the removal of the shield assembly from A-wings expecting to see significant atmospheric fighting. This removed a major advantage in larger engagements, where sheer volume of fire would reduce the effectiveness of the improved speed and maneuverability.

To counter this, Dodonna-Blissex developed a redesigned A-wing for use in atmospheric conditions. This A-wing was made for multiple roles, including air superiority, ground attack, and bombing.

Two bombing bays were added with the room saved from the removal of the shield generator assembly, and the entire design was streamlined for use in atmospheric conditions. The first bombing bay was designed for propelled style bombs to be fired from underneath, near the cone of the ship, while the second bay located at the rear would drop gravity-driven bombs. The first bombing bay could also be refitted to hold more ammunition for the concussion launchers, or to carry anti-tank weaponry.

Pictures of this A-wing variant may be found at:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133848

Upon seeing the success of the new Atmospheric A-wing (or Atm-Wing), Sienar Fleet Systems immediately stepped up it's research program on developing a TIE (Twin Ion Engine) fighter for use in atmospheric conditions. The Tie Interceptor was chosen as the basis for this research due to it's improved aerodynamic stability and fire control.

In battlefield conditions, TIE craft such as the TIE Fighter almost could not operate in atmospheric conditions. The combination of wing design and typically inexperienced pilots resulted in sharp turns at high speed that would cause the wings to shear due to wind resistance. While considered by some captured Rebels to be amusing (and the last amusing sight of their life), this loss could have been avoided by a more role-specific craft.

This, Sienar Fleet Systems systems developed the TIE-Interceptor-A for use in atmospheric conditions. This model elongated the rear portion of the wing span and reversed the seating of the wings to give better stability. The wings are also designed to operate in a closed position for fully atmospheric conditions, increasing the streamlining and eliminating the possible shear that could occur.

This model mounts two power laser cannons and two ion cannons, because when you're fighting in an atmosphere, a loss of control will almost always prove fatal.

Additionally, to match the speed of the A-wing, a larger, more efficient engine assembly was used in combination with more powerful generators. Landing struts were also added to the design, in the case that the deployment mechanism should fail or be damaged in combat.

Finally, because the new wing deployment mechanism required the removal of the fire control system from each wing base, a central fire control was added just forward of the landing struts.

This redesigned starfighter provided the traditional flight power of a Tie Interceptor in space, a vastly improved atmospheric performance, and the ability for an inexperienced pilot to use it with proficiency in an atmosphere.

Pictures of the Tie Interceptor variant may be found at:

Wings Open
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133849

Wings Closed
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133851

Finally, because I have both, here they are together. I should have some time soon to do some better looking action shots, and may photoshop it a bit to add some effects (laser/ion shots, etc) if that is allowed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133850

Let me know what you think, comments on how to improve are ALWAYS welcome.

Heffling
Heffling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to ask for a quick clarification on two points:

1) If I can use CAD to design my lego model for the contest, why can I not used painted (and otherwise unmodified) pieces?

2) It states you can't use the same model for other categories. Does that mean that if I design both models, I'd have to design two more to enter the combined category?

Heffling
Cheerios4u98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? it says that my a-wing folder on maj.com is empty! it wasn't yesterday! ug, I'll have to re-upload them later... *sigh*

edit: somthings wrong, I'm just gonna use brickshelf...

edit: Ok, I uploaded them to Brickshelf. Here's the link for whenever it gets public:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=133910
Smile
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Theme=Aquazone

Last edited by Cheerios4u98 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
erikutt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have th description of it here.
And the gallery here.

Erik
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: