FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Presidential Race (US)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cmac5794

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
I can't say I'm really interested in ANYONE who's in the running right now. It's pretty disappointing.

I agree its probably going to be one of the worst presidential races ever.IMO

Scitvs Campaign Manager/Underseer
Join SPQR!!!!
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmac5794 wrote:
I agree its probably going to be one of the worst presidential races ever IMO.

While none of these candidates are standing out right now... I wholly disagree with you.

First, remember that the presidential election is still over a year away. Right now is the time for everyone to play nice and hold hands and sing songs together. Nobody is really going out on a limb just yet... but people will start slinging the <self-edit Wink > at each other soon enough.

To briefly give a thought on each candidate as of now:

Hillary Clinton: I voted for her last year for the State Senate, but I'm really not sure if I'd give her a nod in either the primaries or the presidential election. It has nothing to do with her husband's affair. You try keeping tabs on the President, see how far you get. Normal people with normal jobs don't know when their spouses are having affairs, and people knock her for that. That's really got nothing to do with anything. She's human, like everyone else. Think back to when she was first stumping for a political seat. First she's in Chicago, and she's going around, wearing a Cubs hat, pledging allegiance as a lifelong fan. Then she comes to New York, and does the same darned thing with a Yankees cap on. I understand appealing to your target audience, but we're not stupid. She's exactly the same way on pretty much every issue... left one day, right the next. It's as if she flips a coin to make decisions sometimes. That's what I don't like about her. Which leads me to the other Democratic hopeful...

Barack Obama: Something about him that I just like. He's outspoken, he's inexperienced, which is something that can work in his favor. He hasn't been in Washington long enough to get fully immersed in the hypocrisy that runs rampant there (and remember, they had a mayor who was a drug abuser). He's also most likely to be next year's Howard Dean (YEAAHHHH!!! WHOOOOO!!!! BLARGHBLAHBLARGH!!!). But I like him, I like that he's not afraid to buck the trend, speak his mind, and at least try to give an answer that doesn't sound like evasion to any issue he's presented with.

Rudy Giuliani: In 2004, he'd have gotten my vote in under a second. Now, with more time to reflect on things, maybe not so fast. Living in New York before and after 9/11... Rudy Giuliani was the best thing since sliced bread. He rallied a city, helped it heal, coordinated the city's public resources together to clean up the aftermath, and got the process started on rebuilding. All of this was done while maintaining a safe (relatively) major metropolis, an enormous world economic force, and a high-traffic tourist destination. The man practically did no wrong. Except for the little issue of unfinished business... rebuilding has still barely started, memorials still aren't even designed, the FDNY and NYPD continue to struggle to gain new recruits amid severely low starting pay rates, and the man changed Police Commissioners like you or I change shoes. But hey, he cleaned up the city, enacted zoning laws that forced out not only "adult entertainment" businesses, but also local and small businesses, turned Times Square, 42nd Street, and pretty much all of Midtown into Disneyland North with all the lights and gimmicky crap, and then handed the reins to a billionaire in Michael Bloomberg (yes, he of Bloomberg News), who continues the city's lovefest in raking in money while paying out none with a real estate market that's skyrocketing for dilapidated housing or luxury rentals. He's your candidate if you want the illegal aliens out. But you might find that the poor, undereducated, ill-informed, and unprepared gotta go too. In other words, I'm not really sold on his candidacy being a good one.
PJcountach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas is the man I want in the office.

Listed as one of Times top 5 governors

Started Arkids first-A health insurance program for low income and minority families that cut the states welfare payrolls in half.

Quote- "Humility goes a long way. The stronger a person or country is, the more critically important never to humiliate anyone else."
Right now everyone outside of the U.S. views America as an arrogant big kid.

Against amnesty for illegal aliens, but does support some form of guest worker status for people who come in.

He wants to revive American optimism
Quote- "Thank God we live in a country that people are trying to break into rather than out of"

I think this guy can do the job of president, and I hope he can fight his way through the polls, because he is actually the only candidate besides Obama who interest me right now, and he has some experience!!

I hope I can get some interest to stir towards this candidate, cause the others are lame media darlings.

-Action Phil
Darth Duck
Local Quack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Party Candidates from Wikipedia

Democrats

Candidates who have filed with the FEC:
Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York
Senator Christopher Dodd of Connecticut
Former Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
Former Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska
Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio
Senator Barack Obama of Illinois

Candidates who have formed exploratory committees, but not yet filed with the FEC:
Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico

Individuals who have expressed serious interest:
Retired General Wesley Clark of Arkansas
Rev. Al Sharpton of New York

Individuals frequently mentioned as possible candidates:
Former Vice President Al Gore of Tennessee

Individuals who have dropped out:
Former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack

Republicans

Candidates who have filed with the FEC:
Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York
Representative Duncan Hunter of California
Senator John McCain of Arizona
Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts

Candidates who have formed exploratory committees, but not yet filed with the FEC:
Former Governor Jim Gilmore of Virginia
Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
Representative Ron Paul of Texas
Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado
Former Governor Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin

Individuals who have expressed serious interest:
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia
Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska
Radio talk show host Michael Savage of California

Darth Duck's thoughts:
I can't see a winner yet. Some appeal to me, some don't. It's far too early to tell, and besides, I'm a Candian. Wink But as a Poli Sci and Journalism student I'll be watching this process with great interest.
OTOH I think Vilsack may have put himself in position for a VP nomination or if not that a cabinet post in a Democratic cabinet, if that happens.
General Veers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobthestormtrooper wrote:
I have nightmares about Hillary Clinton becoming president.

Me too. Razz
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Snicket wrote:

As if we don't vote for either, that makes us prejudiced. I may be a white, European-descent, male, but I have no problem with a black, a female, or a black female president.

I'm glad to hear that. But it doesn't seem like the rest of the US is as ready as you are, since all of your presidents until now have been white, European-descent males Smile

And speaking of that, why isn't Condolezza Rice running? I'm not american, and far from being republican, but she seems like a smart and well educated person. I'd consider voting for her if I was american.
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condoleeza is a smart, well-educated person, but she's also a person who bears the mark of the Bush administration, which is something a lot of people have no interest in whatsoever at this point. Which is a shame. I like Condy.
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true.

I think if Dick Cheney ran for PTA Treasurer at this point he'd get negative votes.

That's how much a lot of people want to dissociate with the Bush administration.
bobthelegobuilder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Condoleeza is a smart, well-educated person, but she's also a person who bears the mark of the Bush administration, which is something a lot of people have no interest in whatsoever at this point. Which is a shame. I like Condy.

I also think that at this point, Condoleeza just has no interest in running. At least she has consistently said that. Wink
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duchessa wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. But it doesn't seem like the rest of the US is as ready as you are, since all of your presidents until now have been white, European-descent males Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other race presidents have ever ran? That I've heard of at least...
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:
Duchessa wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other race presidents have ever ran? That I've heard of at least...

You're wrong

For example, Jesse Jackson has run for president numerous times.

Geraldine ferraro was the VP canidate with Walter Mondale in 1984.

I am sure other minorities have run, but I can't recollect them off the top of my head and I am currently too lazy to go look them up.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! Jesse Jackson!

I hath failed...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:

Too true. And I'd definitely vote for her over Oprah. Wink
    - Aaron

Andrew wrote:
You're the dead cat of love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
Junsier wrote:
Duchessa wrote:

You're wrong

For example, Jesse Jackson has run for president numerous times.

Geraldine ferraro was the VP canidate with Walter Mondale in 1984.

I am sure other minorities have run, but I can't recollect them off the top of my head and I am currently too lazy to go look them up.

While it's true that Jesse Jackson has run, he has never been a qualified candidate, therefore he hasn't won. Jesse talks a lot but says little. He's good at diagnosing a problem, but what has he ever done to fix it? I am able to talk about a problem - that doesn't make me qualifed to be in charge of fixing it, though. What America needs is a person to come along who can not only diagnose problems, but fix those problems as well.

And while Ms. Ferraro did indeed run on the Mondale ticket, she was not attempting to run for the presidency.

So it is fair to say that the vast majority of people who have run for president in the U.S. have been white males of European descent, hence the fact that all presidents have been white males of European descent.
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc wrote:
Junsier wrote:

While it's true that Jesse Jackson has run, he has never been a qualified candidate, therefore he hasn't won. Jesse talks a lot but says little. He's good at diagnosing a problem, but what has he ever done to fix it? I am able to talk about a problem - that doesn't make me qualifed to be in charge of fixing it, though. What America needs is a person to come along who can not only diagnose problems, but fix those problems as well.

And while Ms. Ferraro did indeed run on the Mondale ticket, she was not attempting to run for the presidency.

So it is fair to say that the vast majority of people who have run for president in the U.S. have been white males of European descent, hence the fact that all presidents have been white males of European descent.

Whether you believe Jesse Jackson was in any way qualified for the office of the president is irrelevant. He did run in the democratic primary for the nomination several times. Junsier did not specify that the person running had to actually get the nomination, he only asserted that no one of a race other than white had actually run.

As for Ferraro - I don't think you can say that someone who would be a heartbeat away from the presidency to be inconsiquential in that regard.

And yes, to date our presidents have been males of european decent, but once again, there have been many others (including Alan keyes in 96 and 2000) of non white euppean decent who have run for the office. With that in mind I am not sure what your point in trying to contridict me was Rolling Eyes

Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it cool, guys.

Cool as ice. Cool
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Junsier wrote:

Whether you believe Jesse Jackson was in any way qualified for the office of the president is irrelevant. He did run in the democratic primary for the nomination several times. Junsier did not specify that the person running had to actually get the nomination, he only asserted that no one of a race other than white had actually run.

As for Ferraro - I don't think you can say that someone who would be a heartbeat away from the presidency to be inconsiquential in that regard.

And yes, to date our presidents have been males of european decent, but once again, there have been many others (including Alan keyes in 96 and 2000) of non white euppean decent who have run for the office. With that in mind I am not sure what your point in trying to contridict me was Rolling Eyes

Umm.... I quoted Junsier. See? ^^^^ Junsier.

So.... I'm not sure what you are questioning. Question

And to be honest, I agree with everything you said right here.
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc wrote:

Umm.... I quoted Junsier. See? ^^^^ Junsier.

So.... I'm not sure what you are questioning. Question

And to be honest, I agree with everything you said right here.

You had actually quoted me, quoting junsier quoting duchessa. I edited out a bunch of it because there really isn't any point in having reems of repeated text in the thread and I tried to limit it to what I felt was relevant for my response.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your original post when I responded to it.

the only hard and fast qualifications for running for president are that you must be a natural born US citzen and be 35 years of age and may not have held the office twice already. At least I believe those are the primary one laid down in the costitution. There are several others not stated in the constitution we have attempted to add over the years.

knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
You had actually quoted me, quoting junsier quoting duchessa.

Embarassed

Doh! You're right. I did do that, didn't I?

It's a good thing that's not embarassing! Confused Confused Confused

Very Happy
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:

the only hard and fast qualifications for running for president are that you must be a natural born US citzen and be 35 years of age and may not have held the office twice already.

I assume the "natural born US citizen" is going to change when Arnold wants to run? Razz
Scitvs
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. The rule won't change. There'll probably be a big to do about it. But it won't change.

><>
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duchessa wrote:

I assume the "natural born US citizen" is going to change when Arnold wants to run? Razz

Well there has certanly been talk out here in Cali about that. I personally don't think it will happen since it would require an amendment to the constitution. To amend the constitution you need 3/4 of the states to approve it. It would be obvious who the rules were being changed for I believe there would be massive campaigns against it and the required margins wouldn't be there.

On the other hand, Christopher Walken is running. If elected he promises a cowbell for every household.... ::D:

ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say I like Rudy Guliani the most, but as a person, not president.

I really don't know much about the candidates who haven't been given any publicity, but hopefully there's a good candidate in there. Confused
Scitvs
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little well known candidates like Bill Richardson? I don't know...

><>
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Al Gore would run, but he'd be haunted by the spector of 2000. Besides that... leaning towards Barack. And I'm not really considering any other parties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Logan Starfire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amusing to read the daily papers and see the varying opinions on each candidate change each day.

It's borderline laughable.

I just wish I wouldn't have to hear this for the next year and a half. By the time the election rolls around, enough dirt will fly to make me despise everyone. I'll vote... but I'll probably feel like I'm voting for the lesser of two evils.

Modern American politics. It's a reality show, folks.
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian election is a lot shorter and less hype. Heck, sometimes I don't even know it's happening Razz

Can you even imagine a good president being elected ever again?

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Logan Starfire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... I can.

Surprisingly, I really still believe in the ideals that America was founded on, as it remains the core of our country, regardless of what our politicians may have us believe.

At some point, the people will use the system for change. I just hope I live to see it.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!

ERIK FOR PREZ 2012!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...

No.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: