FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7654-7655 Droid and Clone Trooper Battle Pack Reviews

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scout Troopa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: 7654-7655 Droid and Clone Trooper Battle Pack Reviews Reply with quote

Clone Battle Pack
Picked this up the other day. By far the best way to get clones since the AT-RT, but you've all heard that before, though, huh? The set itself is easy as to put together, the speeder looks alright, not spectacular, but alright. The clones are pretty awesome, as are their guns, and the artillery piece works with this set. Surprisingly, unlike Ace's unfortunate paint smeared trooper, my troops, for once, were exceptionally centered, especially the red one, the thing in this set I was most looking forward. My only major gripe is how loose the new guns are when inserted in the 2x2 round plate in the rear of the speeder. Aside from that, it's a great set, especially suitable for a person you know likes Lego/Star Wars.

Droids Battle Pack
I apologise if I sounded a bit dreary in the clone pack review, but I've always prefered droids to clones, ever since they came out with the Naboo swamp set. I'll start with the STAP (Single Trooper Armed Platform)
Having had the original stap, I must say it's a huge Improvement. Droids always look sleeker in the movies(if you've played either of the metroid Primes, somewhere between the technology in that and the technology of star wars) - CIS that is, whereas clones always seem rougher, more formidable, I suppose. The STAP really seems to capture this sort of smoothness, moreso, at least than its predecessor.
The Droid transport is also very cool. Much bigger than the Clone speeder, it it retains the slick appearance I described before. The one bad thing here is the turntable used for the pilot's area, and the two sets of guns he controls. This is easily remedied by a replacing it with a 2x2 square. Now, onto the droids themselves. I still think that battle droids are the most inovative minifigs in SW lego, aside from their leader, Grievous. Despite it being advertised on the back of the box that all four droids have blasters, only 2 are actually included in the pack. Thankfully, there are 2 megaphone elements on the STAP, which can be easily removed. Otherwise, the other two droids would be too busy driving to shoot. The SBDs look cool, especially stacked up one in front of the other.
The bottom loine, in my opinion, is that 7 droids for AU$20 is a pretty good deal, seeing as how few there seem to be in set circulation prior to the packs. And seeing how many are going to be in the MTT(20, right?), the future's looking bright for CIS sympathisers!

Another bonus is how slowly the droids are moving from shelves!
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews for Both Battle Packs Reply with quote

Scout Troopa wrote:
Say what? Gee, aren't you fortunate! The stores around me are either sold out or not stocking any LSW at all! o_0

I did, however, have a chance to pick up one of each a couple of weeks ago. I pretty much agree with what you've said. I wasn't so crazy about the Clone speeder, especially its reliance on those weird "scoop" pieces, and I do find the turret a little troublesome b/c the gun always points up. That can easily be modified with a hinge.

The only thing that has me totally excited right now is the guns, but I'm just waiting for enough of these to hit circulation to go SBD crazy.
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reviews for Both Battle Packs Reply with quote

JPCJedi wrote:
Scout Troopa wrote:
Say what? Gee, aren't you fortunate! The stores around me are either sold out or not stocking any LSW at all! o_0

I did, however, have a chance to pick up one of each a couple of weeks ago. I pretty much agree with what you've said. I wasn't so crazy about the Clone speeder, especially its reliance on those weird "scoop" pieces, and I do find the turret a little troublesome b/c the gun always points up. That can easily be modified with a hinge.

The only thing that has me totally excited right now is the guns, but I'm just waiting for enough of these to hit circulation to go SBD crazy.

Yeah, I live in Singapore and was surprised that they brought in the sets so early this year! But waht surprised me even more is that the Clone Trooper Battle Packs were swiped off the shelves in around two days, while a number of the droid ones remained for weeks after. My friend was kind enough to get me one for my birthday, but he's yet to pass it to me.

><>
conan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another battle pack thread?
Dr. J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, cause last I checked, my local wal*mart had about 4 of each and none seemed to be going anywhere. I would have bought them all myself, if I hadn't already vowed to save my money for this years summer sets! Wink
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have love for LEGO Battle droids. I mean c'mon, they're sooo cute. They're much more to scale than minifigs, so in turn, clones look short and fat, while Battle droids look...normal. Droid Battlepack FTW!

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conan wrote:

Yep - But this is a review, not a OMG, I like these sets LEGO GIMME MORE!!! Shocked X 20

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
greensk8er

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews for Both Battle Packs Reply with quote

Scout Troopa wrote:
And seeing how many are going to be in the MTT(20, right?), the future's looking bright for CIS sympathisers!

Wait.. they're making another MTT with 20 battle droids?! since when?! *Faints* .....

I am thinking of getting the droid battle pack, no I KNOW I'm getting the droid battle pack now. Thanks for the good review. Very Happy
Jargon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conan wrote:

Is there a problem with that? Unlike a lot of Battle Pack threads, many of which you started, this one has substance, namely, two reviews.

Nice reviews [b]Scout Troopa[/i]! Now, if only I can actually find some.
    - Aaron

Andrew wrote:
You're the dead cat of love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
airborne trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 1 clone trooper battle pack at TRU. It is awesome. Smile

Come join http://halocreationsandforum.forums-free.com today. Hope to see you there.
><>
Scout Troopa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, this was posted a week back, I just saw that more people had posted.

Quote:
Wait.. they're making another MTT with 20 battle droids?! since when?! *Faints* .....

Yeah, I mean, if they do make one Wink (gotta respect that brick!)
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't know about the MTT you must have been living under a rock.

neutron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle pack reviews:

Droids -

I like the droids, although I think both of the vehicles seem a bit flimsy. I would've liked a couple more parts to have them not fall apart on me (Mostly the STRAP).

Clones -

Love everything about it, but the set is half the part number vs the Droids. I think that single standing clone trooper could've had some kind of lookout tower to go with the bi-nocs he's got.
greensk8er

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Faints* .... I literally have the goose-bumps right now... thank you LEGO, for this wonderful gift you have bestowed upon us droid lovers. Do you know the realease date?

Master Fetty wrote:
If you didn't know about the MTT you must have been living under a rock.

You must be part of the Antagonistic Squad.... tsk tsk... Wink
HanSatan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 2007. No specifics yet.
Houndis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews for Both Battle Packs Reply with quote

Jedd the Jedi wrote:
JPCJedi wrote:
Scout Troopa wrote:

Yeah, I live in Singapore and was surprised that they brought in the sets so early this year! But waht surprised me even more is that the Clone Trooper Battle Packs were swiped off the shelves in around two days, while a number of the droid ones remained for weeks after. My friend was kind enough to get me one for my birthday, but he's yet to pass it to me.
Gotta second that. Altough(sp?) I live in Ilmajoki (small town in Finland), not in Singapore, I was shocked how quickly the battle packs and those other sets came here. I thought they would be here in the end of March, but no! The sets came here in January! I didn't know what to think ::D:
snowtrooper202

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conan wrote:

Whats the big deal, You make them all the time.
11numnumnum
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowtrooper202 wrote:
conan wrote:

OFF TOPIC: you need an icepack for that burn, conan?

On topic: I agree with these reviews. They tell it how it is. Right after reading this, I headed to the nearest WM and got me 2 of each, and I'm lovin em.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowtrooper202 wrote:
conan wrote:

I've already comented on that.

hockey922
... is a little needy.
... is a little needy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLONES OWN DROIDS ARE HARD TO STAND UP THERE GUNS ARE 2 HEAVY WHILE CLONES ARE MORE BALANCED Razz
Scout Troopa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hockey992 wrote:
CLONES OWN DROIDS ARE HARD TO STAND UP THERE GUNS ARE 2 HEAVY WHILE CLONES ARE MORE BALANCED Razz

Wow, I thought my thread was gone Smile.
I do agree that clones are awesome, but there's just so much demand for them. Look at how much a clone (any) costs in comparison to a normal battle droid here and here ( I know there's expensive ones, but I mean the generics Smile )
they just seem better value to me. Smile But yeah, that balance issue is a pain in the neck...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: