FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contest #8: Episode III UCS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

UCS Contest
badgerboy's General Grievous' Starfighter
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Olog's V-wing
16%
 16%  [ 29 ]
Pepa Quin's ARC-170
39%
 39%  [ 71 ]
Pro/E Jedi's P-38 Starfighter
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
wintermoog's Droid Trifighter
21%
 21%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 181

ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemoose wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me - Ace demonstrates such altruism & devotion to this site, & the community here, by running these competitions. He puts up these amazing prizes, puts in the effort to plan the competitions & run them, and all he ever seems to get in return is whinging & whining ... to be honest, if I was in his place I would have given up running these things by now - the grief that is generated is just too painful. I'm overwhelmed by his tenacious perseverance.

It is very simple from my perspective - Ace puts up the prizes, so he gets to set the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't enter. If you want a chance at the prizes, stop whining & get building. It really is that simple ...

I haven't been back & checked, but I'm just wondering - how many of the whingers & whiners in the previous competitions have actually won ? Or have the successful entrants been the ones that just knuckled down & built the best damn MOCs they could ...

Ian

Well, if I came off as "whining" then I apologize. My complaint was not with Ace's rule so much as the idea of a member enterring a pre-made creation. I realize that even if Ace had a rule against pre-made models that it would be next to impossible to enforce. I have knuckled down and built the best I knew how in previous contests, but have never gotten far. Again I apologize if it sounds like I am complaining with Ace, I did not mean for it to come out that way.

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
FoxPrimus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: ughhhh another contest when I'm not expecting one. Well I guessss if I'm not to to bussy on other projects and playing my Nintendo Wii at that time than I might giver another try. After all I could use Darth's UCS Tie for parts :wink: .
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely honest... I actually get why many of our most talented members here are also our most infrequent posters.

Ian just said everything that needed to be said.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because of what I said... collections. Rolling Eyes Young teens are usually the most active members and we also have the smallest collections. We also don't always have jobs.

Adults have jobs, maybe kids, etc. So they don't have as much time as teens do. They also usually have bigger collections and have more building experience.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree with Bluemoose's sentiment, I still believe entering one's old MOC in any contest defeats the purpose of those contests...
Anyhow, good luck everyone. We all know that you gonna need it, badly! Wink

My Brickshelf Gallery
bwu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where we can get better pictures of the various ships??
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwu wrote:
Does anyone know where we can get better pictures of the various ships??

starwars.wikia.com
Search for the ships there and get any Star Wars information EVER! No, I'm not paid to advertise.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try google image search...
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also, not to have a dig at everyone but, try thanking Ace - not for the copntest but for the prize, regardless of whether you win or not he is still offering to give away a prize of up to 110 to the dude (or dudette) who does the best - that could be you <points finger>, which in my opinion is damned generous, that in itself deserves at least some mention

I read over that and am not entirely sure it made 100% perfect sense
501legion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions you said you put the ships listed below ep3 starships from the official one, but i think you skipped tantive 4. though that may be because there is already one, but the one from ep3 is different than the one in ANH.

113/8
jamie75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace, I have looked at the list. I have looked at the ships. I have picked the ship I want to build. But...

I have only been able to find 5 pics of it on Google and Wiki. Now I know how am going to built it, or should I as how I want to built it. The reason I pick it is cause it hasn't been done before, to the best of my knowledge. And I don't think anyone will pick it for this contest.

How much creative liberty will we be granted? Say the ship is smooth with no greeblies on the skin, can we put a few access panels in it to see greeblies when they are removed? To add some detail and make it an UCS.

If we do that will barred from this contest?

Also, there are no pics of the cockpit, so can I design it anyway I want?

Can i change the color scheme?

Thanks, Jamie
501legion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the neimodian shuttle isn't it Cool Rolling Eyes

113/8
Lt. Kettch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never made a UCS model before but I reckon it's about time I had a shot. I don't exactly have the most perfect selection of parts available and I sure as hell can't afford to order them from brinklink, but I'm intruiged with the idea of trying to make a good 'pocket UCS' model... hell, I don't stand a chance against an experienced builder, but I love these competitions for the inspiration they provide. Super accurate ARC-170, here I come Very Happy ... I hope.

See you all at the finish line, seeing as I'm not exactly too active a member :p
babyjawa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

501legion wrote:

Nope. It's the Theta-class shuttle.
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt. Kettch wrote:
Well, I've never made a UCS model before but I reckon it's about time I had a shot. I don't exactly have the most perfect selection of parts available and I sure as hell can't afford to order them from brinklink, but I'm intruiged with the idea of trying to make a good 'pocket UCS' model... hell, I don't stand a chance against an experienced builder, but I love these competitions for the inspiration they provide. Super accurate ARC-170, here I come Very Happy ... I hope.

See you all at the finish line, seeing as I'm not exactly too active a member :p

I couldn't have said it better myself, except the whole ARC-170 part *shudders*. I will have to go deep into the bowels of my crawlspace to find the pieces necessary for this build. Wish me luck, I wish you luck.

Bad luckWink

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
501legion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyjawa wrote:
501legion wrote:

how do you know, theta shuttle is something that many people would want to make

113/8
jamie75

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

501legion wrote:
babyjawa wrote:
501legion wrote:

Nope and nope, it's a......a.......a......find out in 2 months!

Jamie
Baraca

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, a great contest. I most definetly look foward to seeing lots and lots of awesome UCS models. Secondly, I think some people are missing the point of these contests, personally I know that I won't win, but that won't stop me from entering the contest. These are for FUN and anyone who is so obsessed about the prize that that is the only reason they are entering should, honestly, take a hike. We don't need a few people to spoil an awesome contest. (Please know that this is not directed at anyone personally and almost all people here are taking part in this contest for fun, not for the prize)

That said I again can't wait for the cool entries to come and I can't wait to start building my entry. Thanks for the sweet contest!! Razz

A drop of >:3 in an ocean of lunatics... Pfft! Yeah right ;~P
Schism

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemoose wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me - Ace demonstrates such altruism & devotion to this site, & the community here, by running these competitions. He puts up these amazing prizes, puts in the effort to plan the competitions & run them, and all he ever seems to get in return is whinging & whining ... to be honest, if I was in his place I would have given up running these things by now - the grief that is generated is just too painful. I'm overwhelmed by his tenacious perseverance.

It is very simple from my perspective - Ace puts up the prizes, so he gets to set the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't enter. If you want a chance at the prizes, stop whining & get building. It really is that simple ...

I haven't been back & checked, but I'm just wondering - how many of the whingers & whiners in the previous competitions have actually won ? Or have the successful entrants been the ones that just knuckled down & built the best damn MOCs they could ...

Thanks for this, Ian. 100% agreed.

That said, I would like to thank Ace for throwing this contest at us. He keeps on doing it despite the ingratitude of so many people here. This is going to be a fantastically fun contest. So, thank you.

MOCpages gallery
We all make choices. But in the end... our choices make us.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

501legion wrote:
babyjawa wrote:
501legion wrote:

Cause those were the two that i wanted to do the most, and I found I found less reference for the theta-class shuttle. Rolling Eyes
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
Although I agree with Bluemoose's sentiment, I still believe entering one's old MOC in any contest defeats the purpose of those contests...

I would hope that those with mastered models take the time to revisit the model. After all, these contests should foster new MOC building.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:cry: The contest bug has bitten and I've already gotten half my model done :? now if thats a good thing I don't know, but for being my first UCS ship model I hope everything work out well. No hints on wich one I choose to build though :P but I can promise you guys that it's most-likely one to not be choosen by to many of you :twisted: .
DeathStar539

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we do tantive 2 if u look at the database it is lit up.
Lt. Kettch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlasticJedi wrote:
except the whole ARC-170 part *shudders*

Hey, hey, hey, what's so bad about the ARC-170?

I now have, for some reason, the skeleton of a Venator-class sitting on my desk in front of me and a strange sinking feeling that I don't have the grey 12x3 wedge plates I need to flesh it out well. Maybe I'll have to bricklink it after all...

But see? That's why I love these contests! No way I'd even have considered making a Star Destroyer in any form otherwise.

(Odds are I'll change my mind several more times before the deadline Rolling Eyes )
tanotrooper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll enter, but about the fedeation starship, if its all grey, its not from episode III.

TT
readybreak56

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeeeeeeeeeeee I have finished oy heah
be prepared to lose Twisted Evil
Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest you spend the next 2 months fine tuning mate, but lets hope it rocks
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after some consideration and input, i've decided to amend the rules slightly.

ONLY NEW models will be accepted. granted, i may not be fully aware of every MOC that every LEGO fan has built in the past 5 years so I am going to be dependent on the members of the community to point out any members that may be trying to slip in last year's model. if you're afraid of the backlash by pointing fingers, you may pm me privately.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Sounds like a great contest, I'll deffinatly try and enter something. The real question is what? Confused

And I deffinatly agree with what joedward said awhile ago. We should deffinatly thank Ace for the prise even if we don't win. So thank you Ace for offering such a big/expensive prize, even if I don't (and probably wont) Win. Razz

And now to continue thinking about what I should build...

DeviantART|Brickshelf

Last edited by DestructiveZombie on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Sounds like a great contest, I'll deffinatly try and enter something. The real question is what? Confused

And I deffinatly agree with what joedward said awhile ago. We should deffinatly thank Ace for the prise even if we don't win. So thank you Ace for offering such a big/expensive prize, even if I don't (and probably wont) Win. Razz

And now to continue thinking about what I should build...

DeviantART|Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: