FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Which set should I get?" Decision Making & U
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: "Which set should I get?" Decision Making & U Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but we seem to be getting a lot of "I've got money, which set should I buy, X or Y?" type threads lately. I thought it might be time to take it upon myself to start a catch-all thread for this type of question. Here's my 2 cents, regardless of which sets we're talking about.

There are basically 3 variables you want to consider when deciding between 2 sets when your funds are too limited to buy both:

Age (how close to retirement is each set): When forced to decide between two sets, my personal rule of thumb is (assuming I "like" both sets equally) to buy the set that's been on the market longest first. There are exceptions to this rule (see "Ultimate Space Battle") when it's pretty clear that if you don't snap it up right away, you're gonna miss out. On the flip-side of that coin, some expensive UCS sets stay around for years. Generally speaking, your average LEGO set has a lifespan of about 2 years (though it does vary) and if something you want is already close to the 2 year mark, it's time to ask yourself whether you want to pay MSRP now or if you're willing and able to pay collector's prices later (or, of course, secret option #3 - dealing with loss Wink).

Cost (is one cheaper?): If both sets you're considering are part of the same release wave and you like them both equally, I would generally lean towards buying the more expensive one first unless you're anticipating a sale of some kind. Chances are if you have the money for the expensive one now, you should act on it. Saving up for the less expensive one should, ideally, take less time. Before you know it, you'll have both.

What do you want? (Which one has the parts, minifigures or overall model you're most interested in?): Basically, nobody is going to be able to make up your mind for you. I generally consider the following criteria in this order:

1. Do I like the subject and the LEGO representation of the subject?
    2. Do I like the assortment of parts?
    3. Do I like the selection of minifigs?

Now, the intent of this thread is for everyone who has this kind of dilemma to pose their question here. Whether or not everyone feels like doing that remains to be seen, but if you feel like contributing your own methods of making this kind of decision, or if you are faced with this problem and are looking for some help in making the decision, this is the place for you. Smile

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread... $5 says people will still post those questions though Wink
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 bucks, not 5 Very Happy
It's a good idea for a thread, quite helpful
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thread starts getting some use and decent responses/feedback from other members, then perhaps a sticky is in order. I know that's early, but if you want people to use this thread, visibility is key. Smile

As for me, I'm going to get the 6211 at some point. I'm considering the ARC-170 as well, so I'll probably get that one first since it's older.
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot my favorite methods of picking which sets to get.

1) I show my wife pictures of the sets I am looking at and ask her "which of these sets would you least like to see in the house?" Chances are the one she hates the most is the coolest of the sets and thats the one to get.

2) I show my wife pictures of the sets I am looking at and ask her "which set should I spend X amount of money on?" Every time I do this though I end up with the cheap set.

3) I ask myself, which one of these sets would be easiest to sneak into the house without her noticing or my son getting too excited about and ratting me out? Generally the smallest set wins.

4) (this one is definately not for the kiddoes) I have a few drinks, visit shop.lego.com and buy the set set I have been wanting damn the consequences. (which if I can intercept it before my wife and my son at least have the potential to be negligible.)

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I've noticed (and gotten annoyed by and subsiquently started to ignore) the threads popping up more and more. I don't think they'd bug me quite as much if I knew people were honestly going to listen to the advice, but a lot of the time, it just feels like they want something and they're looking for justification on it. Just me though, I could just be mis-reading them.

Really, what I'd like to see is one thread dedicated to asking these sorts of questions, but the likelyhood they get confined there would be slim. In the end, people will buy what they want, and that's that.

For me, trying to justify it out like that just takes away from the fun of it for me. If you know every little pro and con, where's the fun of discovery in a set?
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:

For me, trying to justify it out like that just takes away from the fun of it for me. If you know every little pro and con, where's the fun of discovery in a set?

I agree. I think most of us can look at a set and decide right then and there if it's worth it to us personally. Like so many other fan-boys, if it says "Star Wars" and "LEGO" on it, chances are I'm buying it. For those who weigh every little minutia in the hopes of coming across the "perfect" LEGO set so they can justifiably drop their $39.99 plus tax or whatever...maybe you should be an art collector instead. Wink
moogly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:

1) I show my wife pictures of the sets I am looking at and ask her "which of these sets would you least like to see in the house?" Chances are the one she hates the most is the coolest of the sets and thats the one to get.

2) I show my wife pictures of the sets I am looking at and ask her "which set should I spend X amount of money on?" Every time I do this though I end up with the cheap set.

3) I ask myself, which one of these sets would be easiest to sneak into the house without her noticing or my son getting too excited about and ratting me out? Generally the smallest set wins.

4) (this one is definately not for the kiddoes) I have a few drinks, visit shop.lego.com and buy the set set I have been wanting damn the consequences. (which if I can intercept it before my wife and my son at least have the potential to be negligible.)

:D I can so relate to that !!! I bought the 2 small exoforce sets today hoping i can sneak em in the house in my bag.

:D :D :D
deco_droid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are looking at two sets for the same price and all else fails, pick the one with the most pieces!

::D:

"it's jigowatt, mcfly! now why don't you make like a tree and get outta here..."
Rogue_two

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogly wrote:
renegade wrote:

:D I can so relate to that !!! I bought the 2 small exoforce sets today hoping i can sneak em in the house in my bag.

:D :D :D

:D After reading those post to my girlfriend she said: Assume yourself damn it! Wink

Back on topic, Draykov your post is a great idea and could help some people with small buget to decide the set they are going to buy instead of an other one.
ozkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..what is it? X or Y ?

/shakes fist at the procrastinators

Ohh. And Renegade and 4) rocks. I want to do all my shopping with you man.
General C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as one of those individuals who recently posted such a thread I would be in favor of such a thing instead of always starting new ones. I think it is a great idea and hopefully it will be something that sticks.

On another note - I can see dwhispers thought about people justifiying a purchase. I truly hope my thread didn't come across that way because I was really looking for honest opinions about the sets. I have always felt that the FBTB community presented very thoughtful and insightful reviews or opinions when it comes to the sets Lego produces. When faced with a more expensive decision, I like to know as much as I can about my choices and what others have thought. For me, it's not about justification that I am going for - I am just wanting to make the best decision on the set I purchase. Dwhisper and others who replied pointed out some things to take into consideration and the replies are very much appreciated. For some people, making a decision about what set to buy is easy. For others, it isn't. So I agree with Draykov, having a single thread for this would be valuable.
Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:

:D I just did that a few days ago on bricklink! The next day im looking at the order history asking myself "Why did I pick up ten of those?"

Luckly they were simple parts that I can find use for. Learned my lesson Smile
Rogue_two

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
renegade wrote:

:D I just did that a few days ago on bricklink! The next day im looking at the order history asking myself "Why did I pick up ten of those?"

Luckly they were simple parts that I can find use for. Learned my lesson Smile

So, in simple word we can go with this advice:

Don't drink and buy on... (Shop@home, Brikclink, Ebay)! Just add the one you want Wink
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao, "don't drink and buy" That's a great way to say it ::D:
Count Blacktron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen.

All your base are belong to us.
Razz
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sticky this thread immediately!

I'm soooo tired of seeing those kinds of topics. Come on, isn't it obvious "which set is a better deal"? It just takes some deductive reasoning to figure out things like that.

Those topics are like asking:

"What should I eat for lunch today?"
"Should I take a shower today?"
"I've got an exam coming up. Should I use a ball-point or felt tip pen?"

also,
Count Blacktron wrote:
Hello gentlemen.

All your base are belong to us.
Razz

Somebody set up us the bomb! Razz
Logan Starfire

Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko...

Pizza.
No.
Pencil. Don't cheat.

Sincerely, me.
kevblee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: 3) I ask myself, which one of these sets would be easiest to sneak into the house without her noticing or my son getting too excited about and ratting me out? Generally the smallest set wins.

:D too!!!! I thought I was the only one who had to do this.....man, that sandcrawler is going to be a *%8$# to sneak in! The sailbarge was no small task! And , as one who has posted this type of question....I appreciate the people who responded. If you don't like the thread topic...read another thread. I think people weigh a lot of the "so called choices" when buying a set, but it's nice to see what others here think about what they have bought....and if it was worth the cash!
bkblbjg51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a few drinks and shopping for legos do not mix.... especially if you're bidding on ebay! Fifty bucks sounds like a lot less after enjoying a couple of glasses of ------ (insert favorite beverage here) and somehow I always think the wife won't give me trouble: which is wrong!

But, back on topic I think this thread should stick around and when picking sets I always consider what is going to be discontinued first! I don't want to have to auction off my first born just to get an RGS on ebay! You may want the imperial star destroyer, but it's relatively, new go for something like the sandcrawler first.
moogly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkblbjg51 wrote:
Having a few drinks and shopping for legos do not mix.... especially if you're bidding on ebay! Fifty bucks sounds like a lot less after enjoying a couple of glasses of ------ (insert favorite beverage here) and somehow I always think the wife won't give me trouble: which is wrong!

But, back on topic I think this thread should stick around and when picking sets I always consider what is going to be discontinued first! I don't want to have to auction off my first born just to get an RGS on ebay! You may want the imperial star destroyer, but it's relatively, new go for something like the sandcrawler first.

:D Ebay + Beer (bud) = Trouble
Paladin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My considerations are as follows, in no particular order:

1) How cool the set looks.
2) How important it is the Star Wars saga and thus how much it is likely to be worth in a few years.
3) How much space I can clear.
4) Cost
5) The minifigs (One of the main reasons I got Jabba's Sail Barge was because I didn't have a flesh Luke or a Boba Fett. The question of minifigs will also be why I'll be buying several copies of those battle packs in January)
Nezumiiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top reason for buying a set: "Can I convince the clerk at whatever bargain basement chain (Tuesday Morning's, etc...) to give me it at a better price."

After that criteria, it all falls into the "What does Wal-Mart/Target ACTUALLY have today".

Sad, eh?
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nezumiiro wrote:

After that criteria, it all falls into the "What does Wal-Mart/Target ACTUALLY have today".

In my case, the answer is usually "nothing good."
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:

4) (this one is definately not for the kiddoes) I have a few drinks, visit shop.lego.com and buy the set set I have been wanting damn the consequences.

You are officially my new life coach. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help whitch should i get. oldest and neest and prices are all counted

I have 100.pounds saved for 3 years and this is it.

1sith infiltrator

2.hoth base

3. MTT

4.any other cool starwars sets please
Zombiekid24
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is never really a factor for me. For the most part I know that I'll pick up a set well within its shelf life so which ever set is older doesn't really worry me. Although if it's something that I've been on the fence about but haven't bought it yet then I may just go ahead and wait to see if it gets clearanced before I buy it. This doesn't happen often with Lego so much as it does with other toys.

I will usually buy the lower priced sets first, but I agree with Draykov, if you have to save up for this stuff and you have the money then you should buy the more expensive set first. Personally my feeling is I'll buy a lower priced set first because I'll wait for a sale on the bigger items. I'll wait for a TRU BOGO 1/2 off or the recent 20% off coupon to buy them. 20% off of $100 is going to save you a lot more than 20% off $20 and in the end you'll still have the same sets if you buy everything anyway. If it's a large set that I absolutely have to have now and don't want to wait for a sale then I'll buy it at the Lego store to get the stamps.

The set's cool factor and accuracy are the biggest determining factor for me in buying a set. Of the new sets the first one I bought aside from the Battle packs was the AT-ST. It's iconic. It improved on the old version, and it's got a new minifig. All those things added up made that set priority #1 for me.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was to tell you how to solve your own set buying problems without having to post, but I'd say get the MTT.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
lego123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far in 2007 I have.

clone battle pack

droid battle pack

at-st

ebay orders of parts and minifigs starwars

need more imperials and clonies
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
This thread was to tell you how to solve your own set buying problems without having to post, but I'd say get the MTT.

I wouldn't normally quote myself, but for the record:

Draykov wrote:
Now, the intent of this thread is for everyone who has this kind of dilemma to pose their question here. Whether or not everyone feels like doing that remains to be seen, but if you feel like contributing your own methods of making this kind of decision, or if you are faced with this problem and are looking for some help in making the decision, this is the place for you.

I do happen to believe in free will and consider the ability to think for oneself a virtue, but that doesn't mean we should be above helping somebody out. To be fair though (referring to lego123's dilemma), the idea that we can't make up your mind for you still stands.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: