FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you sick of Star Wars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article was interesting, but the only line with which I agree is "the idea we love." Still, I hate it when characters are brought back to life. The only exception is Boba Fett.

End creepy minifig faces!
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of Star Wars also, so I moved over to Indiana Jones (I was lucky, cause those where released not too long after got tired of Star Wars).
Blacknight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricefields wrote:
Some of the clone wars sets in my opinion should have been released as part of the EPII line - this includes the homing spider droid, hailfire droid (non technic) and spider droid, dooku's solar sailor...

Yeah that's my take - most of the vehicles/ships in the Clone Wars line so far were seen in the movies and those are the ones I'm focusing on collecting. Without the Clone Wars line, we would never have an improved Gunship, AT-TE, droid gunship, spider droid, heck even a Utapuan P-38 (the Magna droid fighter). So I don't really see the Clone Wars line as EU, just an opportunity to fill out the prequel movies some more, and all you have to do is throw the ugly cartoon heads in the spare parts box.

In terms of the OT, unfortunately there's just not much left to do there that hasn't been done before in terms of vehicles/ships. Yet another reissue of Vader's TIE has me yawning, and I'm sure we're due any day now for another X-wing revision (double yawn). I say this because since the beginning of the line, Lego has almost always had the following OT ships in production and on store shelves: Vader's TIE (check), Y-wing (recently retired, probably soon to return in the CW line so check), Snow Speeder (Hoth base is still available so check), Millennium Falcon (check) and X-wing (nope - no longer available for new collectors).

As was mentioned, the most promising opportunity for new OT sets lies in playsets. Lego has proven with the Death Star they know how to get playsets right, so it's time for a new wave of them loaded with obscure and unique minifigs. That I reckon would light the fire under anyone drifting into a new LSW dark age.
sam90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricefields wrote:
sam90 wrote:

But for me, it's just the CW i hate. To me it ruined the whole star wars. Mad

So now i just buy OT and PT sets, not CW and EU.

Some of the clone wars sets in my opinion should have been released as part of the EPII line - this includes the homing spider droid, hailfire droid (non technic) and spider droid, dooku's solar sailor...basically anything to do with the battle of geonosis should have been included. So when you or other members say they hate CW do you also hate these particular sets that could be technically considered as part of the Ep II collection and could be used for Ep II dioramas (I guess mainly the vehicles/ships themselves as minifigs may not be necessarily compatible with their cartoon faces or the coloured clones - ie fox, rex which were not in geonosis)?

Well, i brought the Droid gunship for Kasyyyk, and the Homing spider droid for Geonosis, but thats it. The new Republic gunship is different that the ones seen on geonosis. It doesn't have side-mounted bubble turrets, and the sides go fully in to cover passengers (only seen in CW - made so it can fly higher into atmosphere i heard?). I don't think I'll get the new AT-TE just because i don't like it, and the old ones aren't too HTF or expensive now, so i can just buy them if need be.

I do pick up the CW sets i like that can be used elsewhere.

Quote:
In terms of the OT, unfortunately there's just not much left to do there that hasn't been done before in terms of vehicles/ships. Yet another reissue of Vader's TIE has me yawning, and I'm sure we're due any day now for another X-wing revision (double yawn). I say this because since the beginning of the line, Lego has almost always had the following OT ships in production and on store shelves: Vader's TIE (check), Y-wing (recently retired, probably soon to return in the CW line so check), Snow Speeder (Hoth base is still available so check), Millennium Falcon (check) and X-wing (nope - no longer available for new collectors).

True - Unforunately Crying or Very sad Don't get me wrong, i love those sets, but they Are now overdone...

Quote:
As was mentioned, the most promising opportunity for new OT sets lies in playsets. Lego has proven with the Death Star they know how to get playsets right, so it's time for a new wave of them loaded with obscure and unique minifigs. That I reckon would light the fire under anyone drifting into a new LSW dark age.

YES!!!

I really hope they do a great job on some playsets. I want mos-eisly (love it but can't spell it Embarassed ) hoth, endor, naboo, geonosis, kasyyyk in nice surrondings.

I want sets like battlepacks of places.

EG Endor: Heaps of shrubs, a 32x32 green baseplate a few good sized trees - brickbuilt, a speeder, 2 ewoks, a endor rebel trooper, a scout trooper, and 2 stormtroopers. For $30 or so.

Ahhh, i would buy 10 of them! things like that for all the different wars and places.

-Sam90

if you are a christian put this on your sig :><>

Last edited by sam90 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just wanted to say that the X-Wing is still available, at least according to the Jan. 2009 Lego Catalog. Laughing

I don't mind the CW sets, only because the vehicles they've made are superb, and I can live with the fugly heads if I can replace or cover them--such as with the clones. But playsets--that's certainly one way for Lego to bolster sales from longtime lovers of Lego SW.
ricefields

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I want sets like battlepacks of places.

EG Endor: Heaps of shrubs, a 32x32 green baseplate a few good sized trees - brickbuilt, a speeder, 2 ewoks, a endor rebel trooper, a scout trooper, and 2 stormtroopers. For $20 or so.

Ahhh, i would buy 10 of them! things like that for all the different wars and places.

-Sam90[/quote]

Your idea sounds great but that's more likely a minimum $30 set unfortunately, particularly with 6 minifigs including a new design for the endor rebel trooper. Also I would like to see an endor leia or revised endor luke or endor han solo (all with new body designs) - might create a endor battle pack with imperial forces and then another battle pack with rebel forces. But I doubt they would include luke, leia and han in a battle pack - maybe an endor playset with bunker at $50 might see at least leia and han together.

Last edited by ricefields on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
sam90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i just edited that the same minute you posted it Shocked

But still, i would buy heaps

if you are a christian put this on your sig :><>
thief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 3 years!!! I was such a noob then. Pretty cool looking back at some of my old post and realizing how much I've improved. Anyways after taking almost 2 years brake from legos I am sort of getting a little back into it. I don't want to start collecting or anything but I do think the break from lego sure helped me. Maybe just to help some other who are going through the same problems, just take a break and rethink everything! Very Happy

My Coolyest Gallery Check it out and see what you like.
MrCRskater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, have been rather disappointed by the sudden emphasis on the Clone Wars line. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint, as I'm sure Lucasfilm is most interested in pushing its most recent projects and the LEGO/Lucas license undoubtedly makes those sorts of provisions. But it's a bummer for us purists who are disgusted by the cartoon minifigs, and I think several of the new ships look too cartoony, too, like the AAT (so sad, I was really looking forward to a new one), the AT-TE, and the RGS.

With a couple years left on the license, I hope that the OT (and even the PT) have not been all forgotten. Sure, there have been several incarnations of the X-wing and TIE fighters, but I believe there are still plenty of opportunities for new sets, like a Nebulon-B Frigate, Rebel Transport ship, Dreadnaught, Super Star Destroyer, Probe Droid, Cloud City. . . I could go on. Not to mention countless playset opportunities that have yet to be explored (like some others, I dream of there being an Endor playset one day. . .).

To tie this in more closely with this thread, my interest in the Star Wars line is waning as we wait and wait for more material from the *real* movies.
liquidcross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCRskater wrote:
I, for one, have been rather disappointed by the sudden emphasis on the Clone Wars line.

Agreed. It gets even more ugly when you think about it from a story perspective; from the longest time, the Galactic Civil War was meant to be the defining battle in Star Wars history. But over the past few years, and radically so now, the Clone Wars is eclipsing everything else. I'm not sure I like that.

Brickshelf
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCRskater, what do you mean by 'I think several of the new ships look cartoony'? The only difference I see in the new sets is that TLC is taking advantage of the fact that they have a wider array of pieces to use and they are using them to the advantage of the quality of the set to create a larger, more detailed model.

I don't quite see the cartoonyness in them.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCRskater wrote:
I, for one, have been rather disappointed by the sudden emphasis on the Clone Wars line.

I'm not gonna say I like the heavy emphasis on CW, but given that this emphasis was timed with the premiere of the TV show, it's really not that surprising. No new movies are coming out, so no new product is available for them. Pretty much all of the best known OT ships have been released and/or redesigned fairly recently. It makes sense that the mid-2008 to mid 2009 waves would be heavy on the CW to cross-promote. The same sort of gripe was prevalent (at least from OT fans) around the release of ROTS in theaters.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main source of gripes from AOTC to date from OT fans is that there are no playsets... No dang playsets for OT, even no playsets for PT!

And believe it or dang not, not one of the fifteen CW sets we've seen so far is a playset. It's pitiful. And when was the last true to life playset? Back in convenient 2003, Cloud City, needless to say the rarest/most wanted SW set around. And in that same year, Jabba's Palace(modular, though). How many sets have we seen from Star Wars since then?

107. Thanks to Brickset I count, in the years 2004-2009, a hundred and seven Lego Star Wars sets that are NOT playsets. Needless to say these could also be addressed as every single set we've had since 2003. Gah.

I mean, vehicles are great but without a battlefield, they're pretty darn crippled.

EDIT: Rethinking, if the lists are correct in 2009, TLC may indeed be experiencing a reverberation to playsets.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquidcross wrote:
MrCRskater wrote:

Agreed. It gets even more ugly when you think about it from a story perspective; from the longest time, the Galactic Civil War was meant to be the defining battle in Star Wars history. But over the past few years, and radically so now, the Clone Wars is eclipsing everything else. I'm not sure I like that.

It's true the OT should be more recognized, as it was the original and classic. Period.

However, I personally love the Clone Wars (not more than OT, but still loved), and really get annoyed when people dish on it this much. It's true it eclipses the older and classic OT films and shouldn't, but that's because there was a near 20 year break between the OT and PT films (not counting the re-release of the OT movies), and many new fans have emerged in between then. After all, people like me in my generation have grown up with the PT, and only had a couple of years to be introduced to the OT before TPM, allowing us only to get a sample of the wonder that is Star Wars.

Plus, Lucas had an idea for making the Clone Wars all along, and making it a huge defining moment in the Star Wars universe. After all, Old Ben Kenobi explains to young Luke that his father was a Jedi general in the Clone Wars--MAJOR foreshadowing for the series (or post-shadowing, hahaha.)
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had the idea of them happening. Not having a 3-D animated film/TV series.

I think the reason for the lack of playsets is that they didn't do as well as ships in the past, so weren't as big money makers.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
MrCRskater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:
MrCRskater, what do you mean by 'I think several of the new ships look cartoony'?

To respond to CommandoEighty-Oh, I think some of the CW sets look cartoony because some have exaggerated proportions (as in a cartoon). The AAT with it's oversized side-arm cannons; the RGS, also with abnormally large cannons (on top) and ridiculous graphics (on the doors under the forward cockpit); and the AT-TE with a bold, simplistic graphic scheme (greater detail on the printed pieces and stickers would make it more realistic, as in the PT films). I am all for using a broader range of parts, as you suggested, and the new models are very sleek looking. But they don't have that "classy" look that I like from the original movies (including the PT), if that makes any sense. . . ???
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clone Wars is a drop mentally vs the OT and visually vs the PT.

But, CW has a lot going for it.
1. Kids love it which sells Lego sets. Teenagers may think it is not hard core, but they'll still watch it.
2. I enjoy it and my sons like talking with me about it.
3. Although simpler, it already has MORE story, MORE action, MORE variety, and MORE character development than PT. That can only mean MORE Lego MOCs.

As for cartoony CW sets, Puh-lease. Look at a minifig. Those are SOOO cartoony.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not tired of the Lego Star Wars sets...

But despite my eagerness for expanded universe Lego sets
I've only been stoked twice, TieD, and Tie Tank, in both cases I missed the opportunity, that'll douse the passion easy, I am happy with what I have, will add a couple more at a later date, but currently moving on to castle, and working on the Steampunk genre.
Zombie_hallick
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is why Im glad LEGO produces other lines. Batman is winning out for me atm more than anything.
P.C.

Location: At a geographical oddity...two weeks from everywhere

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started to diversify my interests in Lego. The Star Wars line got me back into Lego (the first ATAT to be specific). The new Pirate line and Medieval Market have been great to break up the monotony. My kids love it all so we have good fun together building. The way I look at it, no matter what set I end up buying, the ability to produce what the collective imagination of my family can think up becomes less and less inhibited. I will admit...the Clone Wars sets have really made me stand back and re-assess my set purchasing criteria for Star Wars sets.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCRskater wrote:
CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:
MrCRskater, what do you mean by 'I think several of the new ships look cartoony'?

To respond to CommandoEighty-Oh, I think some of the CW sets look cartoony because some have exaggerated proportions (as in a cartoon). The AAT with it's oversized side-arm cannons; the RGS, also with abnormally large cannons (on top) and ridiculous graphics (on the doors under the forward cockpit); and the AT-TE with a bold, simplistic graphic scheme (greater detail on the printed pieces and stickers would make it more realistic, as in the PT films). I am all for using a broader range of parts, as you suggested, and the new models are very sleek looking. But they don't have that "classy" look that I like from the original movies (including the PT), if that makes any sense. . . ???

Ah, that makes sense. I know what you mean by "classy". I just didn't see it that way, in smaller aspects of the models rather than the whole thing.
Darth Zach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. And I`ve had that problem before back in 2005. What got me out then was the new EP5 sets. Somthing that was just made by SW and LEGO-fied was really cool. I hope the new live-action series will help.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd add an update here, since I build my first Star Wars set, in quite a long while.

Last night, I built the Republic Cruiser. I got it for ~$65 on clearance at the Lego store. Even though I'm not much into Star Wars anymore, I thought it would be fun to build a new large set.

After doing so, however, I've found it was rather disappointing. I thought the build was somewhat repetitive (though not nearly as much as some sets).

It was kind of fun to build, but in the end it was significantly less satisfying that the Medieval Market Village or new Pirate sets. And in the end, all I was left with was a big red space ship, that I'll probably take apart and never build again... Plus, I don't really need anymore red pieces.

On the upside, it kind of confirmed that I am over Star Wars, though I wish I'd have put the money towards a 2nd MMV or new pirate ship.

Steve
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing a few pics on flickr, my interest may be renewed. At least temporarily. Wink
alldarker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Lego still interest me a great deal. After about ten years of dark ages, it was the very first AT-ST (7127)(!) and especially the Chewbacca figure that drew me back to Lego. And I haven't looked back since.
Recently, the lack of OT sets (besides the DS and the newest incarnation of Darth Vader's TIE) meant a calm spell for me, seeing as how the animated SW sets and the PT sets hardly interest me at all. I did buy the discounted ISD and the Sandcrawler when they were on sale on S@H.
But even though there seems to be a drought of OT sets right now, I'm very sure that the future will bring more than excellent OT sets.
I especially hope Lego will make another Hoth set or even an Endor set.
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. Well, Star Wars Lego was revolutionary when it came out, and even though the line has lost some of its spark now, it has continued to pave the way for Lego history. Many new pieces originated from the Star Wars line, and the minifigures were especially groundbreaking. Stormtroopers sported the first helmets, Jar Jar had the first molded head, battle droids sported the first non-minifig heads, C-3PO was among the first minifigs to have printing on the back and even now the clone trooper battle pack featured the first new guns in almost 20 years. The new clone wars sets, while somewhat lacklustre in design, offer fantastic minifigures in the forms of the new clormies, Ahsoka, Plo Koon and the new Count Dooku. Lego Star Wars also constantly innovates new pieces and the designs get more and more accurate (with some exceptions). So, while I'm currently more interested in Batman and Indiana Jones Lego, Star Wars is still my first Lego love.

><>

Last edited by Jedd the Zombie on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sick of Star Wars. In the new Clone Wars sets, I'm not crazy about the figs (except the Clones, love them), but I love the vehicles. That's what I'm buying these for.

Also, I love the PT, true, the OT is better, but I still love the PT, so I collect those sets, too. I'm definately not sick of Star Wars.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelRock wrote:
After seeing a few pics on flickr, my interest may be renewed. At least temporarily. Wink

Me too. After that last post how the Cruiser pushed me farther away, I'm feeling myself being sucked back in... though just a little bit...

Steve
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the CW wave, I think it has renewed my interest in SW LEGO. Not that it had really wanned, but getting to watch a weekly TV series (that is good and you can't get enough off) and then be able to buy the vehicles and figures from it...... honestly that is a dream I would have had as a kid.

Today my 8 year old and I got all our CW kits out and we "played" a CW battle, was pretty fun actually. I've never done that with any of the OT or PT kits, they are now mainly all packaged up in zip lock bags. I like the little "interactive" parts of the kits, like the flick missiles, and the rubber ended projectiles from the AT-TE are really good fun. The RGS has been my favourite vehicle from all six movies, so a chance to get a remake of that was perfect (and they have done a better job this time, not that the original had many faults). I really don't mind the figs at all, and the Clones I think are great. The new SBDs are well done also.

All in all I think LEGO picked the right kits to market, the figs are pretty good, they have Clone battle packs (a major plus) and the timing of this with a weekly series makes it for me (and my boys) a perfect theme at the moment. I even watch the show now with an eye for what looks like a good new potential kit.

And then if you mix in the OT kits that LEGO have recently released, especially the Death Star and the upcoming Anniversary kits I reckon they have got the mix perfect. The CW kits keeps the kids happy while the OT kits are great for us "older" kids.

So to finish - I'm not sick of Star Wars at all.
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't been impressed with most of the new sets lately, but I did get the RGS and AT-TE and thought they were INCREDIBLE sets. I just don't like the fugtoon figs! Crying or Very sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: