FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

 
 ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you sick of Star Wars?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Location: Nevada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Are you sick of Star Wars? Reply with quote

After seeing the pictures of the 2007 sets, I found myself very underwhelmed. This got me thinking about the Star Wars line. When they first came out, I was on cloud nine. I bought every set, at full retail price. And continued to do so for several years afterwards. Lately, however, for reasons, of which I am not quite certain, I am not all that interested in Star Wars lego anymore. Here are some of my thoughts, as to why:

-Been there, done that. It seems to me that the majority of the sets being released are rehashing previously released sets. The Y-wing, the AT-ST, the falcon, the three X-wings, the seemingly infinite iterations of TIEs. Even the landing craft seems to be a rehash of the shuttle... When does it end? (I understand the marketing strategy, to make sales on younger kids who missed out on the earlier models, but it doesn't mean I have to like it). And to think, we've got how many more years of this? I was excited about the sail barge and minifig ISD, as they were something we had not seen before, but not with this line up. Perhaps this is the weakness of licensed products, there is only a finite amount of source material. Whereas with an independent line, the products are only limited by the imagination of the developers.

-Fatigue. After, is it, seven years, now? I'm feeling kind of burnt out. I used to eagerly wait for new releases, but now I hardly care. Perhaps its time to give it a rest for a year or two, concentrate on something else, then come back to it, when everyone is fresh. Now, I admit, Castle lasted much longer than seven years, but it wasn't hampered by the aforementioned repetitiveness.

-Flesh-tones. Now this isn't really an issue with this years line up, but it has been in the recent past. As I am not a die hard Star Wars fan, but rather a lego fan, the sets' appeal is greatly reduced by the inability to use the figures along side my non-licensed figures.

-Or perhaps I'm just getting old...

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Steve
_________________
Travel with Johnny Thunder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]


Joined: 05 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Are you sick of Star Wars? Reply with quote

I'm sorta tired of Star Wars, but I still feel the need to pick apart some spots of your post...

Could it be, possibly, that the reason you're underwhelmed by the new sets if because you went hog-wild over the old ones? I mean, looking back, they really weren't too great. But compared to essentially nothing at the time, they were incredible! Standards were raised, and so the line must progress.

All the sets that are getting re-released are the big hitters... I'm very surprised that Grievous got his fighter made at all. I'm sort of anticipating a larger/better ATAT getting released in a few years for $150 or so. Like you said, they're in this for the money. It's the nature of the game.

And yeah... fleshies suck; the change is hard to stomach half way through a line. But look at it this way: now you've got the classic Star Wars sets with less detail and yellow figs, and the modern sets with better ships and fleshy figs. They shouldn't mix, and the classic ones are getting updated. But they still suck... and that's not true for all of them. Whatever.

So I don't know... I know where you're coming from and agree on several points. But honestly - what did you expect?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks


Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: From the other Side!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in the same boat more or less, since a 12 years license deal is just an overkill IMO... That's why I'm much more interested in the other original themes that LEGO develops, Vikings for example is my favorite interest nowadays...

But as a builder, all I can see is new parts packs and more of them, and the Star Wars line is an amazing collection of that, especially of those grey parts that you don't get much of in the other themes, along with some cool minifigs!... So I can't complain much in that department. For a builder who wants to develop his own themes, I think the Star Wars line is great source of cool parts, and that's a good thing... The down side is, I don't have a fat wallet to keep up with buying them all, and with so many $100+ sets out there, it's just way too much for someone who also wants to buy some other themes...

Also, I always wanted to see Classic Space make a come back, but with Star Wars around, I don't see that happening any time soon... And that's also why I'm sick of it...
_________________
Darkkazmo

My Brickshelf Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Faulconbridge



Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: A galaxy not so far away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've gotten older, I find myself buying fewer sets as well. There are several reasons for this and here they are in no particular order.

Life changes. When the first sets came out, I was a single guy and could do and buy whatever I wanted. Now I'm married with two kids and have less disposal income to spend on myself. As a result, I'm very selective about which sets I buy. It's also more important to me to spend time with my kids than to build LEGO sets. Very Happy

"Newness." Like Athos, when the first sets came out I couldn't buy them fast enough. They were cool and fun and combined two of the greatest things ever in Star Wars and LEGO.

Set options. The first sets were all the iconic vessels of the Star Wars universe. We got the Landspeeder, the X-wing, Snowspeeder, etc. Everything was something I wanted. Now the sets are getting a bit more obscure. The Imperial Landing Craft is nice, but I won't get it because it's only on screen for a couple of seconds. That, and it's not from the Star Wars movies of my youth. Wink

Redesigns. I'm not buying the new Y-wing because I've got the old one. I realize that some people missed out on the first incarnations of some of the models, and it's nice that they've got a chance to get them, but I don't need something I've already got.

It's not so much that I'm sick of it, I just don't have as much time for it anymore.
_________________
May the Force be with you...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weddlec



Joined: 05 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

No I am not tired of it. As big of a fan as I am of Lego, I do not buy the non-liscensed sets. For me it is the difference between a child's toy and a collectible/model. I love to build and display my stuff, but if it weren't for Star Wars I would not be buying Lego.

It comes and goes for me. I have 4-5 hobbies and one will be hot for about 6 months and then my focus changes. What I have found is that even if I am burned out on something I still buy it and keep it sealed. You can always sell them later, and if you do get interested again you won't be kicking yourself for having to get it off of Ebay.

Lego has done an excellent marketing job. The first X-Wing was crap. I loved the first snowspeeder unitl they came out with the new one. My thinking is that Lego should release as much Star Wars stuff as they can afford to. Then we can pick and choose which ones we like. If you have also noticed they are doing more UCS and better piece/parts ratios. For me this shows that they are trying to appeal to those who are getting burned out.
_________________
Always looking for more ways to spend the money that I do not have!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mmcb



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Location: Sydney,Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me................yes and no.

No I'm not getting sick of it because I absolutely love it and it is my one main hobby (I do have a few others, but they are nowhere near the top of my list). Minifig collection/customization has become my one biggest dream...............making it into a reality is a whole other story Wink So much so I have established a small business to help fund things (very small mind you).

For the yes side.....there are a few things that I am getting sick of:
1) Not enough money to buy the new sets. Especially sine they have brought out a number of high price sets of late (Sail Barge, ISD, Sandcrawler).

2) Not having enough room to display everything. Again this is part of my dream, having all lego star wars sets on display with a massive floor(ish) to ceiling(ish) display of my minifigs.

3) Not enough time to enjoy them as much. Now that I have a dream and a family and a small yet time consuming business, I am finding myself with less and less time to enjoy this hobby. I currently have 3 or 4 half finished UCS models, and 12 or so half finished minifigs, that I just don't know when I am going to get completed (partly because of reasons 1 and 2), but mainly because of the time factor.

4) The re-re-releases of sets. Whilst I totally understand the whole concept behind them, it is beyond me as to why (in some cases, not all) nearly 1/2 of new sets are re-releases. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them in some cases (much better designs, more/new minifigs), but it does get annoying when you see a new line-up and 1/3 - 1/2 are rehashes.

I guess all-in-all I'm just going to (hopefully) buy new sets and store them when their on sale, or just buy any new minifigs for now and piece together the sets later on. I honestly don't know.

MMCB
_________________
mmcblego@gmail.com
MMCB Custom Minifig Cloth Accessories
Brickshelf Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!


Joined: 06 May 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two reason that have curtailed my spending:
How much do I really need?
And, the budget shrank after our third child.

I'll agree that I am a choosier buyer at this point. I already have a lot. It is displayed. It collects dust. I am also pushing how much space my wife will let it have.

I am a Space Opera fan (can't wait for BSG to start). Did Star Wars have a big impact on that? Yes. Is it still as big? No. There is so much more out there that the movies have become good background noise while I am building. I played them during my attempt at the R-wing and looked up occasionally. Actually, there is a glut of anime on right now that I watch instead of building.

As a hobby, I still enjoy building with bricks. MOCing exercises the brain differently than coding. I do build sets and my middle son loves to play with those. So, a set should be a good parts pack. From the Castle comment, you may be tired of putting brick to brick. That is scarier to me than losing interest in Star Wars.

Now, this site offers me a lot. People post many different MOCs. There is a daily dose of Lego, Star Wars, and many other topics. Building is a slow hobby so it is great to have a forum that keeps your interests piqued. It is also a comfortable niche for me with the many friendly regulars.

What could get me back "into" Star Wars? More content with interesting characters, gripping stories, and for me, Cool Swooshable Ships. Smile I actually think AOTC is the best prequel because of the last item.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I think you're getting old Wink

But then again, so am I. For me... I don't know. Sort of, but not really, but kind of? If that makes any sense. I suppose this is a natural cycle for me. When I first got into Star Wars, all I did was buy the sets. The only time I ever even considered picking up a duplicate was when they were on clearance and I ran across them.

When I came out of my last dark age (back in May), I hit a new stride, instead of looking at sets, I was looking at the whole of Star Wars. I used to just display the sets and be done with it. Now, I wanted to build whole battles and hangers and bases. So I just went gung ho and pulled several duplicate sets. At the same time, I started trading (something that was impossible when I last was seriously collecting... the communities hadn't really formed up yet) for figures and sets, and purchasing old ones.

Now, I've started to taper off of that a bit. Like mmcb, I have a serious space consideration to contend with. More than 2/3rds of my collection currently sits in storage, and more looks to be heading there. I've also picked up other lines to collect as well... Batman, City, Knight's Kingdom/Castle, etc.

On the whole, I've started to focus more of my effort on to Castle stuff. It seems like there's more opportunity in creating things there, especially things that go together, and there's not the constraint of "Star Wars" attached to it. Plus, I can pick up some sets that suppliment Castle so well (Harry Potter has been great for boosting the castle parts), and that's difficult to do with Star Wars and the current releases.

So am I sick of it? No, not really. I think there's a lot of life left in it. I don't mind the re-releases, so long as they're an improvement (and the recent waves have shown me that they are). I'll keep buying all the Star Wars sets, but may not put as much money into getting duplicates or army building. Though when the battle packs come out...

In the end, I think we're our own worst enemies in being "underwhelmed" by the hype. Once upon a time, we only knew what was on the shelves when they showed up there. But now, we're pouring over the internet looking for every scrap of information, analyzing, praising and dismissing sets before we've seen anything more than a marketing blurb. For me, that's what's burnt me out more lately.

It seems like all the joy is getting drained out of a simple little hobby. LEGO is wonderful because it reminds me of being a kid and enjoying childhood, before real life snatched me up. I'm looking forward to buying my (future) kids their first LEGO sets, seing them have fun and enjoy it just because it's LEGO. I think most of us, myself included, need to take a step back and enjoy it as a toy. We get into things like micro-analyzing how many studs it should be, what figures are there, how many parts there are, how much it costs, and we lose sight over what it's all about.
_________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are you sick of Star Wars? Reply with quote

I've been "into" Star Wars for 29 years. Granted, I don't live, eat and breathe SW, but it's never too far from my mind, either. SW LEGO is what brought me out of my Dark Ages once and for all.

There are certain aspects of SW LEGO that I'm sick of, but that has relatively little to do with the products themselves and my purchasing of them. This site, while I still enjoy it, has become almost as much to do with "entitlement" as it has to do with the energy and enthusiasm we all (presumably) share for SW LEGO. I also tire of the fact that there are no original space themes, but I enjoy and look forward to SW LEGO in spite of that fact.

When will it end? 2011? I think maybe some of the disillusionment that comes with this particular licensed line is, when things started out in 1999, there was nothing but potential and excitement. People guessed at what would be made, and were reasonably assured of seeing it because, at that time, not much had been made. Heck, we didn't even have all of the PT under our belts, so we were hoping for all kinds of cool stuff. 7 years in, people are starting to get pissed that there are no taun tauns. The promise of televised SW, for many, holds little promise given how mediocre a lot of folks (my old-timer crowd) thought the PT was. As for redesigns...well, there are sets that haven't been done that I'd like to see, but there are also sets that have been done that I'd like to see done better. For that reason, I don't mind redesigns. I don't happen to think they are so utterly devastating to the prospect of seeing sets that have not been done yet.

So, in short. No, I'm not sick of SW LEGO. There are a lot of sets right now that I haven't purchased, but that's do more to timing and budget than lack of interest. I have several casual hobbies that tend to go pretty cyclically. I may be not as interested in LEGO for a while and do some photography or something else, but I always maintain an undercurrent of devotion to my LEGO that keeps me coming back to it.

dWhisper wrote:

In the end, I think we're our own worst enemies in being "underwhelmed" by the hype. Once upon a time, we only knew what was on the shelves when they showed up there. But now, we're pouring over the internet looking for every scrap of information, analyzing, praising and dismissing sets before we've seen anything more than a marketing blurb. For me, that's what's burnt me out more lately.


I heartily agree. That's where I was going with my "entitlement" comment.
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!


Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: Lavalcula, Québecula, Canadania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are you sick of Star Wars? Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
This site, while I still enjoy it, has become almost as much to do with "entitlement" as it has to do with the energy and enthusiasm we all (presumably) share for SW LEGO.


I don't quite get what you're getting at here. Care to elaborate a bit?

As for me, well, I was honestly dissapointed when LEGO announced it had extended its licence agreement with Lucas until 2011. Personally, I was looking foward to spending my LEGO money on other themes, and widening once more the range of my LEGO collection.

Granted, LEGO has released some pretty amazing Star Wars sets since that announcement, but like many have mentioned, they were all the the pricey side (especially if you are Canadian, seeing that LEGO hasn't ajusted to the higher valued Canadian dollar). That means that I can't get sets from other themes that might interest me, like Castle, Batman of City.

As for the redesign, like others have mentioned, I don't mind them, as long as they are an improvement over the past models. But like Draykov mentioned, there are some things from the Star Wars universe that I would like to see before some redesigned sets, like a Taun-Taun patrol, or a Queen Amidala or an Admiral Ackbar minifig.

Draykov wrote:
So, in short. No, I'm not sick of SW LEGO. There are a lot of sets right now that I haven't purchased, but that's do more to timing and budget than lack of interest.


That's exactly how I feel about the line right now. I'm just a little dissapointed that the Star Wars line is keeping me away from other lines I might be interested in.
_________________

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:

I don't quite get what you're getting at here. Care to elaborate a bit?


Happy to. Smile I just think that these days, FBTBers in general are more likely to talk about how mad they are that we haven't seen this or that. They're mad that LEGO screwed up this or that. When the license first came on the scene, it was amazing to see SW LEGO at all...like someone had just invented the roast beef sandwich. Now it's more about "LEGO must release another RGS" or "LEGO is stupid because 800 different shades of clone minifig packs would sell like gangbusters and I would buy 1,000."

Quote:

That's exactly how I feel about the line right now. I'm just a little dissapointed that the Star Wars line is keeping me away from other lines I might be interested in.


I can relate to that, but so far I've managed to get most of what I want without breaking the bank. But as long as there is SW LEGO, it will probably be my fiscal priority (within the toy budget), so until it goes away, I'm shackled. I totally relate to that feeling. Smile
_________________
Hail Brains!


Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegendaryMilkman



Joined: 18 May 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in my mid 20s and I have been off and on with these Star Wars Legos since they began coming out. In 1999 I bought a couple of the small sets including Naboo Starfighter and Darth Maul Duel. Then I completely forgot about the line for 2 1/2 years until epII line came out. I started collecting heavily this time. I had bought almost everysingle system LSW set there was from eBay, Bricklink and TRU. A few months later some circumstances came up where I had to sell my entire collection (really kicking myself about that). Again, I completely just ignored and didn't follow the line until about 2 years where I am now buying sets again; however, trying to be cautious about picking up certain sets because I am trying to decipher if they are going to re-release this set 2 years down the road. I bought loads of ep3 clone troopers just because I did not think they would release a clone battle back for the winter line. Now I have to sell them before the packs come out, so that they do not lose most of their value.

I would say if it was not for Lego Star Wars, I would not be as into SW as I am now (or should I say obsessed with). I now have many SW video games, books, etc. all because of LSW. I never really had a hobby outside of LSW, which is good and bad...it gives me something to look forward to and I love collecting them, but it eats up too much of my time and I know my girlfriend thinks it is wierd. This winter 2007 line is a half hit, half miss for me. However, I still have anticipation for the summer line. I hope and I could defiantely see Lego releasing a Republic cruiser / New Sith Infiltrator / Possibly a Tantive IV playset / A bigger Cantina set filled with all the aliens from LSW II ( a dream come true) . I think that defiantely one of these will be released for the summer time, if not all of them released somewhere down the line. That makes me excited.

I always thought that some of the original designs were too blocky and arkward looking, so I look forward to redesigns. I think they should and I am sure they will redesign one or two more sets and then move onto making new sets.

I think if anything, I am more so looking forward to future releases then I ever was, especially after seeing the designs of characters and beasts in the LSW games. I would be basically completely satisfied if they released almost all of the characters and beasts including rancor, wampa, etc. from LSW games. Crossing my fingers.

Quote:
people are starting to get pissed that there are no taun tauns


I have no doubt in my mind that they will eventually release a set with Taun Tauns in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the nature of this site has shifted away from the "awe and wonder" of the enthusist/fan to the "I'm a paying customer and they're not catering to me!" that seems to pervade everything. You can read through any one of the threads, this one included, and see varying degrees or points of this, but the feeling around here, in general, is that LEGO isn't "doing it right."

Does that mean people here are wrong? I don't think so. That's part of the joy of opinions. But, in the words of Yoda, that's the path to the dark side. It doesn't take too long in that camp to start going into the anger at LEGO over other things, like prices, figures, etc. I can think of a bunch of posts where I simply have to shake my head, because people seem to be expecting the sun and the moon for $5. Things like a set with a kajillion pieces, fifty new minifigs, real working lasers, a new puppy, and a back rub... yet at the same time, it has to be $15... just seems to run afoul in the long run.

But that's just me. Everything seems to take an angry spin once new sets are announced.
_________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
...but the feeling around here, in general, is that LEGO isn't "doing it right."


I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're getting it increasingly right. They've had some hits and misses, but overall, I'm very pleased with the way the SW LEGO line has been going.

Quote:
Does that mean people here are wrong? I don't think so. That's part of the joy of opinions...It doesn't take too long in that camp to start going into the anger at LEGO over other things, like prices, figures, etc. I can think of a bunch of posts where I simply have to shake my head, because people seem to be expecting the sun and the moon for $5. Things like a set with a kajillion pieces, fifty new minifigs, real working lasers, a new puppy, and a back rub... yet at the same time, it has to be $15... just seems to run afoul in the long run.


That's my problem. If you have a legitimate complaint (say, about the new landing craft for instance) and you can back it up with legitimate reasons why you, personally, don't like it or won't buy it...fine. I respect your opinion, thanks for sharing. However, if you resort to calling LEGO "stupid" or take pot shots like "no wonder their in financial trouble" just because they haven't, up this point in time, re-released that 4 year old set we're all so fond of discussing...well, then you're just being negative and, quite possibly, foolish. The folks that feel personally attached by LEGO's lack of attention but then refuse to take into consideration certain hard facts...the ones thad won't open their mind to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, they don't have all of the information...those are the ones that drive me nuts.
_________________
Hail Brains!


Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Count Blacktron



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Location: Cave of Caerbannog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sick of it in the least. And as for your Tauntaun Debate, when I was little we had to build our own LEGO horses for our Classic System Castle sets. And we liked it too. For me, it's all about the parts and the inspiration gathered from new building techniques. Star Wars LEGO can go on for another 12 years and I'd still be happy I think.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!


Joined: 07 Jul 2006
Location: a frozen desolate wasteland (New England)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back into it when I joined the forum. I had been DEEP into the Halo universe. (Yeah, I know, shut up...) So it's fairly fresh to me.

I am kind of tired of the movies, but EU keeps my interest.
_________________
| Flickr | YouTube
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they're getting it increasingly right. They've had some hits and misses, but overall, I'm very pleased with the way the SW LEGO line has been going.


Oh, I agree with you. I was just stating what the climate seems to feel like. I'm sure there are a lot of people who've just grown tired of the argument, and have stepped out (much like I have). In that sense, the other end starts to dominate, and it feels negative.

I owned the original B-Wing, Slave I, and A-Wing, and the new ones, quite simply, put them all to shame. LEGO gets more flak for not putting out certain sets then they do for the amazing achievements (Sailbarge comes to mind). The mis-steps have definately decreaed over the years, especially if you go back to the original releases.
_________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
I'm sure there are a lot of people who've just grown tired of the argument, and have stepped out (much like I have). In that sense, the other end starts to dominate, and it feels negative.


I suppose that's quite possible. I don't expect people to step into a "debate" just for the sake of slamming their heads repeatedly up against the same brick wall.

Quote:
LEGO gets more flak for not putting out certain sets then they do for the amazing achievements (Sailbarge comes to mind).


Again, that's kind of where I was going with that whole "entitlement" thing. Sailbarge gets a "Cool, thumbs up" and maybe a few dissenting opinions or nit picks, then it's old news. People felt entitled to a great sailbarge set, so once it hit, there was excitement, but it wasn't exactly a shock and the spoiled child in all of us was satiated for the time being.

Plus, it seemed that we heard a lot more about how crazy the new ISD was. I, admittedly, was left scratching my head on that one, but the set is attractive enough for what it is and the prospect of getting Tarkin and a black astromech were enough to make me excited.
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
Plus, it seemed that we heard a lot more about how crazy the new ISD was. I, admittedly, was left scratching my head on that one, but the set is attractive enough for what it is and the prospect of getting Tarkin and a black astromech were enough to make me excited.


I really liked the ISD, personally. What was funny for me on that one was that it wasn't a redesign, it was a whole new set. It has it's problems, but in total, they aren't any worse then the Falcon had (in fact, the first falcon was probably worse for stability), and the thing just looked cool. I posted somewhere on the forums that scale really has no bearing with system sets, because the ISD would have to be like 300m long to be "to scale."

There's something surreal about the argument that redesigns suck, we need new ships, but new ships suck, and we need a redesign of the RGS...
_________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Clanure



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Location: Clinton, UT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper and Draykov,

You two seem (at least in my book) to be the voice of reason (or at least the vocal voice of reason) on this board. Most of your posts are well though out and eloquently written. I commend you both for your contributions to this board!

As for this subject, I can honestly say that I am thrilled with what LEGO is releasing right now. I agree whole heartedly that the biggest problem, as I see it, is the negativity always associated with new sets, even 4 months before thier release. The internet, and forums in particular, have an enboldening effect on people. Because of the anonymity associated with it, people tend to be a little more heavy handed than they would normally otherwise be. For this reason, and as dWhisper mentioned already, it's really best to stay away from these speculative and pre-release topics. I know it's hard, but for your own >:3, it's best to not read too much past what is being released and when.

On that note however, I have noticed a tendancy to be a little over critical on this board by some members. I'm still having a hard time figuring out how you are supposed to post about sets you think would be cool(not necessarilly sets LEGO needs to make or whatever, but just sets that you think would be fun), without getting the "it has been discussed 100,000,000 times in other threads." or "Don't dig up old threads." arguments. The fact is there are a finite amount of things to discuss with relation to LSW, and if we continually quash these conversations, then the board will eventually wither away and die.

So, at the end of this rant, the only real piece to take away is that:

"I'm not burned out on Lego Star Wars, I'm burned out on whiny Lego Star Wars fans."

Clanure
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]


Joined: 05 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanure wrote:
So, at the end of this rant, the only real piece to take away is that:

"I'm not burned out on Lego Star Wars, I'm burned out on whiny Lego Star Wars fans."

Clanure
Well put.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!


Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: Lavalcula, Québecula, Canadania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanure wrote:
dWhisper and Draykov,

You two seem (at least in my book) to be the voice of reason (or at least the vocal voice of reason) on this board. Most of your posts are well though out and eloquently written. I commend you both for your contributions to this board!


Amen to that!

Clanure wrote:
So, at the end of this rant, the only real piece to take away is that:

"I'm not burned out on Lego Star Wars, I'm burned out on whiny Lego Star Wars fans."


And another Amen to that brother!

Do you feel the love?!? Do you feel the love for LEGO Star wars in your heart?!?

RazzVery Happy
_________________

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG


Last edited by Dazombie on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanure wrote:
dWhisper and Draykov,

You two seem (at least in my book) to be the voice of reason (or at least the vocal voice of reason) on this board. Most of your posts are well though out and eloquently written. I commend you both for your contributions to this board!


You flatter me, sir. Smile

Quote:
I'm still having a hard time figuring out how you are supposed to post about sets you think would be cool(not necessarilly sets LEGO needs to make or whatever, but just sets that you think would be fun), without getting the "it has been discussed 100,000,000 times in other threads." or "Don't dig up old threads." arguments. The fact is there are a finite amount of things to discuss with relation to LSW, and if we continually quash these conversations, then the board will eventually wither away and die.


That's actually gotten so bad that I felt the need to start a thread on it. The only advice I can give is this: if you want to start a topic, search for it first. If you made a reasonable effort and turned up nothing, you should post with guiltless abandon...somebody will be along to point out that you screwed up if that's the case. Wink

If you did a search and did turn up a thread on the topic, it shouldn't matter how old it is, post away if you want to make a relevant contribution (use your best judgment). Everybody screws up sooner or later. It's why pencils have erasers and forums have edit buttons. As long as you make the effort to know the CoC and act on it, nobody should fault you for the occasional goof.

Quote:
So, at the end of this rant, the only real piece to take away is that:

"I'm not burned out on Lego Star Wars, I'm burned out on whiny Lego Star Wars fans."


I'll second Don (or third Daz) on that one. Well put. Smile
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thief



Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Location: CT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I havent read everybody post. But your missing why it is like that. I'm not going to explane it all but In the Next 2 years 2007 and 2008 I do believe will be the highlight for lego And Way more NEW PT sets. With the series and TLG hasn't focused on it yet. 2007 2008 Will be The BEST years of lego enjoyment to my thery.

I only Have on Huge Problem now with lego. Shelfspace as some of you said. I will have to move my bed to the window and My computer desk with everything else + lego on it. I have 2 Huge shelfs that I got about 6 months ago And now It has couple stuff that I can move around. And were my desk is now were im typing I will have to put a new desk here. The Only thing Is that I like my legos to be as far away from that window so there is no rays on them. But I will probly get tinked windows or something if that possible. Or maybe 2 more shades than what I have now to deflect light. Smile
_________________


My Coolyest Gallery Check it out and see what you like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Location: Arkansas!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanure wrote:
dWhisper and Draykov,

You two seem (at least in my book) to be the voice of reason (or at least the vocal voice of reason) on this board. Most of your posts are well though out and eloquently written. I commend you both for your contributions to this board!


You flatter me as well. There are several others that I think call things out as well, and some I know that can stay more neutral than I do. I miss some of that, because we've all fallen a little silent recently.

Quote:
So, at the end of this rant, the only real piece to take away is that:

"I'm not burned out on Lego Star Wars, I'm burned out on whiny Lego Star Wars fans."


Easily fourthed (or fifthed, or sixed, or what not). I've grown tired of some of that as well.

Honestly, a lot of the things that get "whined" about aren't much to do with LEGO. There's the personal preference of people for one set of movies or the other. George can think of it as the Star Wars Saga all he likes, but the fans will define it as they see fit. I don't know of anyone who really sees the movies as one cohesive piece. You have the original and it's stark direction, and the prequel and it's vivid tapestry of creations and colors.

For things like money and storage space (which we all deal with), well, LEGO is a business ultimately. They sell toys, and the only way to do that is to constantly approach new customers or markets. For every two people that are dissapointed in a redesign, there's another person that didn't have the original.

Beyond that, this board probably points out the biggest reason behind LEGO's reasoning, the constantly aging user base. While totally unrelated, the recent "5 Years since 9/11" topic was a great yardstick for this. I was floored when I read "I was in 4th grade" and saw exactly the variety of people we have (I was in my last year of college at the time).

Again, for all the things that LEGO gets torn on, very few are their fault, and even fewer are in their control. Yet the argument, more and more, seems to turn to the company's shortcomings in addressing that.
_________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!


Joined: 06 May 2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the set releases, I do see us pick them over to death. But, these are some of our most active threads. I see a lot of interest and not so much "asking the impossible".

As for quality, TLG is giving us great sets. Although we quibble, I see mostly exuberant responses about the Battle Packs, AT-ST and Y-wing. The landing craft and grievous fighter aren't totally bad either. A-wing, B-wing, Sail Barge, TIE Interceptor, and UCS AT-ST are great sets to me. CTT, Slave I, V-wing, and Vader TIE are still good, but I can pass on them. Of Ep II sets, only the lightsaber duel and grievous chase were disappointing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JettsterFettster



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the years roll on I find myself buying less sets also. The reason for this is not because I'm tired of LEGO's it's just my income isn't what it used to be. Sad
_________________
I'm over my head
something I said
Completly misread
I'm better off dead
><>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.Mangles



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Location: KANADIAAAAAA!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself sort of sick of SWL. Maybe it's the same sets over and over again, being re-re-re-re designed. The new sets for 2007 may add more fuel to the fire, because they are very interesting and appeasing to me.
_________________
Gentlemen, I propose A TOAST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Logan Starfire



Joined: 07 May 2006
Location: somewhere in the Metro New York area... Currently: Contemplating stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I shouldn't have gone to work on this rainy day... I missed out on half of the best discussion we've had here in a while.

To throw in my fumbling little thoughts, I'll try to be as short as possible.

I'm trying to condense my collection as far as possible, without dismantling the 7(+) years of LSW that I've been collecting and storing safely away for the day I can finally display it all. That means all my old Town set-ups, all my old Castle, Space, and anything else I have (other than my Pirate ships) gets parted and sorted for future MOCing and whatnot.

In doing this, it made me think... why am I spending all this time? Sorting, cleaning, scrubbing some dirt and dust and grime, tossing broken parts, smiling at a classic smiley with a plain no-design torso? Easy.

For over 20 years, I've loved LEGO. I grew up on it. I guess, looking back now, I was a weird kid. Liked to read, liked to build, wasn't too into TV... not much has changed that way. Star Wars very slowly dragged me out of my Dark Ages, first by collecting very slowly, then by wanting to change some official sets, and finally, I began MOCing again. All of this happened quite recently, and coincided with my registration to the forums.

I've always been an advocate of any LEGO slogan that pushes the use of imagination. My job is creative in nature (I'm a display technician for a major world retailer), and my hobbies follow suit. Reading, writing, music, movies, LEGO, food. Not necessarily in that order, but those are my hobbies - the things that I unwind with. LEGO has never lost its appeal with me, regardless of what they release. Re-release? Maybe I like it, so I buy it. Maybe I don't. If I'm not happy with a particular set, I just don't have to buy it. I understand the nature of the business, and I get the marketing standpoint. I've just always been firm about my decisions. Even if I never create any masterpiece of my own, even if I never think of something everyone will fall in love with... to me, the love is in the bricks themselves. Star Wars is secondary. I'm just having fun with it.

As far as these forums go... well, I've been no slouch in decrying some of what I perceived to be sillyness or annoyances at times. Lately, I've taken an approach where I'll join in a topic that I find interesting in some way - even if my post is short and somewhat silly. I'm a kid at heart. There are quite a few members here (many of which have already posted within this thread) that can easily stimulate a good conversation or debate, and I gravitate towards those individuals. Am I a model forum member? I'm not sure, but that's not my reason for being here. I like Star Wars, I love LEGO, and this site has a lot of interesting things on it. I'm glad to contribute where I can, and hope others find something (anything) in my musings and postings.

I guess I can summarize this with stating that I still love LEGO, I still build with LEGO, and I enjoy the community that I'm growing into. The sets? Just more bricks, whether I use them to build what's on the box or not. I don't feel as though I need to comment on something I can't even see yet, or don't have a finished product sitting right in front of me. LEGO does what it does... produces a product. I'll wait until I can actually hold it in my hands, then decide whether to take it to the register or place it back on the shelf. Either way, I'll always look for something new.

So much for being short though...
_________________
flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gause



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Location: South Dakota

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want some cheese with your whine? There are 2 options buy or don't. This forum to me feels like a shakedown for sellers/buyers to see if it's time to cash in. If you only collect SWL then you didn't see the whole picture of the Lucas monster that is. Every SW line has been released and then updated and increased in price. I see a ton of desperate posts asking for sets that may or may not be made and if they are you all pat your backs saying you helped Lego come to that conclusion. However if it's not then Lego is not listening...hmm...kind of how they did make 3 X-wing sets because "everyone" could not afford the ebay prices of the previous sets. I hear all of you and respect it. But I still collect because I choose to, just like you whine because you can Smile

Gause
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group