FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy Toledo! LEGO Batman game in development...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO/Star Wars Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp-30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Holy Toledo! LEGO Batman game in development... Reply with quote

Holy LEGO Batman!

Quote:
Friday 8-Sep-2006 1:10 PM
Exclusive: The DC Comics Dark Knight is brick-ing it for another seminal Traveller's Tales Lego adventure!

The next licensed LEGO game from veteran UK developer, Traveller's Tales will be based on the massive DC Comics superhero, Batman, CVG can exclusively reveal today.

Just days prior to the release of the next entry in massively successful LEGO Star Wars series, CVG's investigative reports have learned that work has already begun on a franchise follow-up, staring the Caped Crusader in a block-busting adventure through a LEGO brick Gotham city.

No further details were offered from our sources, though we're sure that - considering how much fantastic fun the first two LEGO Star Wars games were - Batman's blocky-debut is certainly something to look forward to. While we would've probably opted for something more in the vein of LEGO Eastenders, the Dark Knight's deep universe and wide-array of characters and villains perfectly lends itself to the Lego spirit, and we're bursting to pilot a block-built Batmobile through the Gotham streets.

When we contacted Traveller's Tales the studio as expected declined to comment on LEGO Batman, although further delving led us to development director, Jonathan Smith who when asked about the game told us that considering the studio's long running partnership with LEGO, "we will definitely will be making more LEGO games in the future."

Exciting stuff indeed. We will of course shine the big, CVG spotlight skyward when more word on LEGO Batman reaches our ears.

Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah....nice find.
A LEGO Batman game?

I really don't see where there will be profit in that; or maybe everyone knows about LEGO games after LSWII?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people who buy LEGO Star Wars would have had enough fun with those titles to give a similar game by the same development team in the Batman universe a try.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. It sound cool, however.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Remnant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this one bit! They never even made a Batman game to begin with! Or did they?

If you're a Christian, put this in your sig :><>
Previously known as Cmdr. Bacara
jp-30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmdr. Bacara wrote:
I don't like this one bit! They never even made a Batman game to begin with! Or did they?

Huh?

This is the first LEGO Batman videogame.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:
Cmdr. Bacara wrote:

Huh?

This is the first LEGO Batman videogame.

I know, but they're copying lego starwars, ah, maybe this will be a success, I don't know.

cmdr.joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think its a cool concept. They should definatly do that, definatly.
jp-30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmdr. Bacara wrote:
I know, but they're copying lego starwars, ah, maybe this will be a success, I don't know.

They're not "copying" LEGO Star Wars, they made LEGO Star Wars, and have the licence to make more LEGO based games.

Here, read this.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is good news. Not just because we're getting a LEGO Batman game, but because now there's no reason not to release an Adventurers game for the release of Indy IV! Yay!

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>
Remnant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:
Cmdr. Bacara wrote:

They're not "copying" LEGO Star Wars, they made LEGO Star Wars, and have the licence to make more LEGO based games.

Here, read this.

I understand I guess, as long a they don't try to make a lego batman 2, I think I'll be fine. Wink

jp-30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmdr. Bacara wrote:
I understand I guess, as long a they don't try to make a lego batman 2, I think I'll be fine. Wink

What would be wrong with a second Batman game?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:
Cmdr. Bacara wrote:

What would be wrong with a second Batman game?

The possibility of repeated elements.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Bley Knight Returns" could be the sequel, after TLG changes colors again for us. Smile

This could be a fun game. They obviously are in love with their grappling hooks.

All new fun with combining characters
Mr. Freeze + Catwoman = Cold Shoulder
Two-Face + Robin = Tubbin'
Joker + Alfred = Joked
Poison Ivy + Riddler = Piddler
Penguin + Joker = ...
er, this is getting bad.
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Piddler.

That being said, cool find. I just started playing on the demo for LSWII, and it's interesting. Personally, the nicest thing about this is the idea that LEGO is committed to the Batman license, even though we have very little information what's ahead for the line. Hopefully, they stay away from the movie-type games (which were just awful), and the campy TV show, and strike their own happy medium. They've done a good job with the sets, and if the game has the same fun factor as LSWII, it will boost the Batman line, and be a win-win for LEGO and DC Comics.
batsamd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!
M-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see how this would work. Instead of films, break it into cases (Mr Freeze, Joker, Penguin, etc). Make it a villain team up, with each case ending with a clue leading Batman and Robin to go after the next villain.

I don't think we'll see stuff for LEGO-only lines, at least nothing so big. Part of the reason LEGO Star Wars did well was that it was a humerous attempt at a major part of pop culture. A game to promote a LEGO line wouldn't have that appeal.
jp-30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-1 wrote:
I don't think we'll see stuff for LEGO-only lines, at least nothing so big. Part of the reason LEGO Star Wars did well was that it was a humerous attempt at a major part of pop culture. A game to promote a LEGO line wouldn't have that appeal.

You're right that Star Wars has that crossover appeal to non-LEGO buyers, but there are plenty of 'original ' (non-licensed LEGO games out there), and Traveller's Tales were working on non-licenced LEGO stuff when they were asked to switch to Star Wars;

Link

Quote:
Before their switch to the Star Wars license, Giant were working on quite a different game.

Inspired by the idea of being able to play in a number of dissimilar, colourful and, most importantly, interactive worlds, the original story was going to take place in all of the different Lego lands (pirates, space, Camelot, etc).

As a Lego footballer, you would be able to control a football to use as a weapon, an interactive tool and a toy with which to impress the inhabitants of the worlds you visited. While not much of this old design remains in Lego Star Wars the parallels between the use of the football and the force in both games is fairly easy to make.

Perhaps these ideas will appear in Giant’s further confirmed Lego-based games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:

You're right that Star Wars has that crossover appeal to non-LEGO buyers, but there are plenty of 'original ' (non-licensed LEGO games out there), and Traveller's Tales were working on non-licenced LEGO stuff when they were asked to switch to Star Wars;

I know TLG made other video games, like LEGO Island and Racers, but didn't realize anything new was on the way before LSW came out.

I figured, with all the cut backs they had to do because they were in the red so much, that they would stop making video games to focus on their "core" business, which is LEGO building bricks.

Still, when I saw that LEGO was getting Batman license, I hoped they would make a LEGO Batman game, and now it seems they are. WOO HOO!
jp-30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like LEGO themselves are contributing any money to these games or have to wear any risk. The game makers probably need to buy the license / rights off LEGO (and Lucas / Marvel etc).

Then the game comes out and LEGO also take a slice of the profits.

Win-Win as far as they're concerned.

Or win-win-win when you consider the publicity and interest surrounding the game that must have some sort of payoff in increasing toy sales.
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp-30 wrote:
Or win-win-win ...

Or, maybe not, since I can't buy the sets because I bought the game. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good for the Batman fans, but I've never watched or read any of the Batman stuff, so I really don't know about it.
HarryPotterfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Maybe there is hope for a Lego Harry Potter game. Proably not. I only have one question. If Lego figs can't talk, how are we supposed to know what the plot is? It's not like where they are following the movies so we already knew what was happening. This is NEW stuff. How would we know?
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajcross123 wrote:
Penguin + Joker = ...
er, this is getting bad.

What is wrong with "Poker"? It just a name of a card game...:D
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Poker is what I was thinking of. Smile

And, Batman doesn't talk much. We'll get Lots of dark looks, crowds of minifigs looking towards the villians, explosions, but most likely Gordon pointing the way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WookieWarrior9 wrote:
Well, that's good for the Batman fans, but I've never watched or read any of the Batman stuff, so I really don't know about it.

I would say the game will be similar in style to LEGO Star Wars (lots of easter eggs, tongue in cheek humour, cool things to build & places to explore) You wouldn't need to be a diehard Batman fan to enjoy playing the game.

Apart from one or two of the movies and the camp 60s TV series, I have very little knowledge of the Batman univers - but I'd trust Traveller's Tales to make another LEGO based game I would enjoy.

HarryPotterfan wrote:
I like it. Maybe there is hope for a Lego Harry Potter game. Proably not. I only have one question. If Lego figs can't talk, how are we supposed to know what the plot is? It's not like where they are following the movies so we already knew what was happening. This is NEW stuff. How would we know?

Just because the figs don't talk in LEGO Star Wars, doesn't mean they won't in Batman.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this. Batman games have never been too good. I hope LEGO makes a LEGO Spider-Man game. That would rock!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pohatu Jr. The Jedi wrote:
I don't know about this. Batman games have never been too good. I hope LEGO makes a LEGO Spider-Man game. That would rock!
That's not going to happen. Lego lost the Spider-man 3 license to the crappy construction company. Personally, I'm looking forward to this game because Giant and TT Games did a great job on both the Lego Star Wars games and I think the Batman sets are pretty cool.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this new completely by accident. Great news for LEGO/Batman fans! I think they might need something more than just a license switch to keep these LEGO games fresh, but hopefully it'll be at least as good as the SW titles.
stormtrooper7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pohatu Jr. The Jedi wrote:
i think they could better make an "lego marvel" game THAT would be cool!! Razz or "marvel vs DC" in lego!!

greetings from naboo
calvin Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO/Star Wars Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: