FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academic Decathlon!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Academic Decathlon! Reply with quote

Anyone here heard of it?

It's my first year competing on my school's team, and our regional competition (read: the first competition that counts) was this past weekend. We did well enough to qualify for the state competition as a team, and I was surprised to find that I was the #2 overall scorer individually in my division.

For those that don't know, AcaDec is an academic competition involving ten tests in ten subject areas based around a theme that changes yearly. This year's theme is more or less the ancient world, so studies involve the Art, Music, Economics, History, Math, and Language & Literature from the rise of Ancient Egypt and Middle-Eastern civilization to the fall of the Roman Empire (except for the Music, which focuses on music from the Classical era [Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn] and Math, which is generic math covering Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and Calculus). There's also an event called Super Quiz, which is a science that changes each year with the theme. This year's science was Astronomy, which is infinitely more entertaining (in my opinion) than Botany, the science that was covered in last year's curriculum.

There are three other events as well: the Speech, the Interview, and the timed Essay. Speech and Interview aren't curriculum-related, however, and all three events are scored more for presentation and skillful communication of ideas than for knowledge and fact regurgitation.

Five of the tests (art, music, econ, history, and L&l) are 50-question multiple choice tests. The math test is a 25-question multiple choice test, and the super quiz is a 40 question multiple choice test *and* a 5-question on-stage relay. I'll explain the relay in more detail if anyone has bothered to read this far and wants to know more. Wink Essay is a 50-minute timed essay on one of four prompts, Speech is a 3.5-4 minute memorized speech (no note cards or props or anything) and a 1.5-2 minute impromptu speech (one of three prompts with 1 minute to prepare), and Interview is exactly what it sounds like. Each event is graded out of 1000 points (silly!), resulting in a possible total score per person of 10,000 points. At regional competition in my division, 5500-6000 is typically considered a very strong score.

I scored 7055. Woot. Cool

I medaled in five other individual events too, but I'm starting to sound overproud, so I'll just stop here. Razz
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of it. My english teacher last year ran the acadec team. I didn't join because... well, I *know* there are people who would do better on that team than me. Perhaps I should've tried out, but bad luck tends to follow me in anything competitive like that. Teh d00mz0rz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zombie T
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we even have this sort of thing in England. Sounds interesting.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome man, that is a really hard competition. Back in HS and junior high I was in Science Olympiad... kinda similar... I was more involved in the building type events than the studying stuff (bleh, hate studying). We always got 1st or 2nd in the "mission possible" event, and I even got 2nd place at the state level in Astronomy one year Very Happy

But yeah, the girl working with me on the building events for SC was on the AD team too... they scored really high and got some wicked big scholarship prizes Shocked so stick with it!
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I learned just today that my overall second place as an individual won me $400 cash. If we'd won our regional competitions, we'd all have four-year full-rides to ASU right now, but unfortunately we took 5th.

Do you know what level your friend's team cleaned up at? Like, was it the regional competition, or at State, or at nationals?

Funny that you mention second place in Astronomy! Individually, I was second place in that event this year too. Very Happy

I also got out of a math test today for exhibiting my 1st place individual medal in math. Woot. Cool

Other awards, just to prove how thoroughly nerdy I am:
3rd place in Essay
3rd place in Art
2nd place in Lang/Lit

Very satisfying competition, considering I was competing against about 100 other students for the individual awards. Very Happy
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yes! Excellent work!
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdy shmerdy, you'll be racking in the dough! ::D:

I'm pretty sure the AD team from my highschool made it to nationals... they were really into it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: