FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rebels.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Minifig MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: The Rebels. Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to say that I've finally completely my very first custom mini-figs. These have taken about 2-3 weeks to put together (not because of difficulty, because of getting all the needed parts to me! Smile ). Eventually, they will be part of a much larger MOC I am putting together.
So, without further ado, I give you:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PepaQuin/CustomFigs/Rebels/rebelgroup.jpg

This was the first time I've ever painted a Lego piece, and while some in the overall Lego (read: Lugnet) community would condemn me to heck for this, I feel pretty good about the way they have turned out.

Some individual pics:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PepaQuin/CustomFigs/Rebels/rebelsoldier1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PepaQuin/CustomFigs/Rebels/rebelsoldier3.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PepaQuin/CustomFigs/Rebels/rebelsoldier5.jpg

When the folder is moderated there's a few more pics, some desktop backgrounds of the first pic, and some pics of a small scene so you can see the soldiers in context:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=116261

I'll be glad to hear your comments on these!

-Pepa/Matt
Quazi_Evil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking reaaaal nice, everything looks really clean and it looks like you took ur time.
Greedygreedo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...... That is SO cool! I like how you created the clean look to them. Plus Thats a great idea to put those two pieces together to create that shape. I have a question, are the helmets OK to play with?
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented on these at Eblock... very sweet. They look better than official.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sklar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interstingly good! Is that a white visor (painted, I'm assuming) on a hockey helmet? If not, what is it?
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice work. I have been wanting to get my hands on some of the skater helmets for a while. Nice use.

Jared
Kaminoan's Ebay Auctions
Amber's Revenge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Matt Slaymaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job. As stated earlier, they look very clean and professional. Keep it up! Very Happy

BRICKSHELF
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Rebels. Reply with quote

they look great!
do not disturb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up with them sweet rebel helmets? are they made of lego? or is it resin? either way, looks good.

nevermind, i just found out what you used. Smile
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple, yet very cool. Keep up the work, it's geat!
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Interstingly good! Is that a white visor (painted, I'm assuming) on a hockey helmet? If not, what is it?

Yeah, the visor is, of course, painted. Lego has not yet graced us with a white visor, in fact there are very few in non-transparent colors (just black and brown I think). For these visors, I got a bunch of 1 cent trans-neon green visors off of bricklink. I bought a real small bottle of Testor's white enamel paint for $1.25. The white is a close match - although in fact I think it's actually a bit of a brighter, whiter white then the Lego helmet it attaches to.
I did not exactly 'paint' the piece, though. I had no desire for visible brush strokes, so instead I got a thick enough dowel rod that I could clamp the visor onto. I then dipped the dowel rod into the bottle (tight fit, but it worked!) swished it around a bit, and the took it out. Took about a day to dry completely because without a paintbrush to regulate the paint it went on thick (not that I mind!).
As of now, the visors are attached to the helmets by themselves. The layer of paint helps keep them snuggly on - with non-painted peices the visor can fall off easily (I have examples of black visor/helmets elsewhere in my custom fig section on bricklink).

Quote:
I like how you created the clean look to them. Plus Thats a great idea to put those two pieces together to create that shape. I have a question, are the helmets OK to play with?

I obviously couldn't dip the helmets in the black paint, so for these I did have to use a paint brush. However, I have absolutely no confidince in my ability to paint in a straight line, so I came up with a suprisingly easy way of getting the look I wanted. For those of you who would like to do anything in a similar fashion, here's how it worked:

The 'secret' to the whole thing is just.. tape! For each helmet, I took two pieces of clear tape and put them on the helmet - one across the brim, the other over and around the top. Application wasn't quite so easy as it sounds, though - I had to make sure that there were absolutely no little wrinkles or airpockets along the edges. I can't say that I was 100% successful, but my last step took care of any problems like that.
Next, I took my paintbrush (a very small one, like size 0 or something) and got as much black paint as it could hold. I put the paint on the helmet liberally, making it look more like a puddle when it was still wet then something painted on. By putting lots of paint in one small area, I was again able to paint the piece without leaving any brush strokes.
Again, this took about a day to dry, but when I was convinced they weren't going to get any drier I took the tape off. Each one had small little specks of black (and some not so small..) where the paint had seeped in a bit under the tape, but this was easily taken care off with a sharp knife and very, _very_ light strokes to scrape off the now-dry paint.

As for 'playing' with the helmts, I personally would never let anyone under... oh, say 35... touch them (excepting myself of course Wink ). But I suppose that if the visors were attached to the helmets with a bit of glue, they would be all right for play. My own are, of course, for display only.
Well, kinda. Wink

The figs were touched off with the Han Solo vest (obviously), sand-blue arms (bet you were all wondering why I wanted those Peter Parkers, eh? Wink ) and grey legs. I have two different belts used - a few from the brown Han Solo leg assembly, and the rest were actually used in some alien robot figs that came out in the 90's. Not sure which I like better, but at the moment it's more a matter of which I can get easily Wink. And of course, the guns are from Little Armory. Awesome stuff, those.

I think these match the Rebels in the movie quite closely. The biggest differences that I know of is that the movie rebels have light blue (or sand!) shirts. This is why I put those arms on, but of course the Han Solo shirt is white. The helmets also have chin straps, but I wasn't gonna press my luck. No biggies, in my opinion.

If you haven't seen it after it was moderated, the whole gallery is up now. I've got a few 'desktop' sized pics (I make them for my own desktop, but ya never know if someone out there is desperate for something new on their own Wink ) There's also a few pics of the rebels in action, and these will actually give you a sneak preview of my much larger MOC coming soon. Smile

Wow, I sure wrote a lot.... Shocked
Flail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Some of the best custom figs I've seen. The helmets are great!

Oh, and spray paint works nicely as well, no brush strokes! Smile
deathstickman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that one of the rebels doesn't have any black paint, why is this?

They all look perfect. I should try the dowl idea Mr. Green .
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are tight!! I like those helmets waaaay better than my black visor hooked on a fire helmet. But very nice ... hope you don't mind if I intend on making some of my own ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flail wrote:
Oh, and spray paint works nicely as well, no brush strokes! Smile

No disagreement there, but I don't think anything could do it this cheap. Air brushing would probably look the best, but I was going for keeping my money. Smile

deathstickman wrote:
I noticed that one of the rebels doesn't have any black paint, why is this?

Well, if you spent as much time watching the initial scenes of Ep. 4 in slow motion as I did, you'd know. Wink Good eye, though. I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that. Now, who will catch the other thing....? Twisted Evil
Legostein
MINI Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these troops a lot! Smile They're probably the most accurate rebel troops I have seen so far! And they even have medium blue arms! I also planned using these for my rather humble troops, but never came around to make new photos. I also like your inventive helmet construction! It resembles the real ones perfectly. I hope to see the whole scene soon!

~ Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white guys are recruits, right? I noticed he has a smaller blaster pistol, a Drearian Defense Conglomerate Defender sporting blaster.
deathstickman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepa Quin wrote:
Well, if you spent as much time watching the initial scenes of Ep. 4 in slow motion as I did, you'd know. Wink Good eye, though. I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that. Now, who will catch the other thing....?

What? you mean that one holding the frying pan?(maybe he likes to have eggs in the middle of battle) Or the one with the Leia pistol?
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the frying pan. Wink

I only had 6 of the Rebel guns from Little Armory, so I stuck the smaller pistol on one.
As far as I know, the guy with the all-white helmet in the movie is just a guy who didn't get his props finished in time. Wink

And the frying pan is there... just because Smile
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that you used the Luke Skywalker head (with a straight mouth) for most of them. In the movie they look pretty grim, knowing that they're about to face death at the hands of a squad of stormtroopers. That guy with the freaky smile (snowboarder or basketball player?) looks out of place. Or that he belongs in Apocolypse now...
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desktopped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are awesome. Couple of questions though.

In the rebelgroup picture, which set is that minifig head in the middle from?

and

How do you (and other people too) get those great, clean looking pictures of minifigs? I have a sort-of high end digital camera, but my pictures always come out blurry, no matter what I do. Gah.
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) measure about 1-2 feet from the camera (in macro)
2) make sure the camera doesn't move (tripod, flat on table, stack of books)
3) take pic.
4) minor alterations in Photoshop (fixing colors, applying filters, whatever)

EDIT: I forgot:

1A) Use good lighting. major help in making things clear.
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Padawan just about nailed it. One thing about the lighting - I use a lot of indirect lighting. This means that I take a normal desk lamp with one of those flexible necks, and point it anywhere but at the figs. The walls and ceiling in the room I took the pics are very light, almost white, and the reflected light gives real good coverage while allowing very little shadow.

As for the figs heads, each one is different: only one is the Luke head. From this pic: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1095488 the figs heads are (from left to right):
1) Criminal from Spidey's 'First Chase'
2) Lobot from the red Cloud Car
3) Luke
4) Some cop from a World City set (7032)
5) Dual-sided head - shown is the 'scared senseless' side.
6) Young Boba Fett
7) Standard Smiley
8) Skateboarder
galenator
Customs [VET]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: All I can say is WOW! Reply with quote

I really like these Rebels! I've thought about doing this scene as well, but just hadn't got to it yet (or had the inspiration that you did). I really like what you did with the helmets--ingeniousI really like these Rebels! I've thought about doing this scene as well, but just hadn't got to it yet (or had the inspiration that you did). I really like what you did with the helmets--ingenious!
As for the Paint, I've only used it once or twice on LEGO & not to my complete satisfaction. My tool of choice is the Sharpie pen! Very Happy (too bad they don't make a white or grey one yet!) I may just go home tonight & see if I can dig up some of the skateboarder helmets & make some of my own Rebels! Thanks for the great ideas.
www.dcswcc.com
Mirage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look better than the rebels lego would give us. Nice work on the helmets, clever idea.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Minifig MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: