FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Might be a REALLY stupid question, but....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenZX3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Might be a REALLY stupid question, but.... Reply with quote

What is the deal with Han shooting first in a ANH?

Ive heard a bunch of posts on this forum and others, but I dont quite understand what the issue is?

Im not saying I don't know why people even discuss it, but someone just clarify what actually happens, why it happens, why people hate it, etc. etc. etc.

I prolly could figure it out, but I dont have time right now to pop ANH into my DVD player.

Thanks guys,
-Stephen
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a change to make Han solo into better guy than he was in original movie.

It also weakened the Han Solo's bad guy image at the beginning.

It also made Greedo BLIND shooter to miss at so close a range.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
TheTennisBallKid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
better guy

If it makes you a better guy to let a bounty hunter shoot you instead of putting up a fight, yeah....

ttbk
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put in the DVDs to watch this! To truly understand the debate you need an old VHS copy of the movie pre-1997. For 20 years Han pulled the trigger on Greedo before the chump even knew it was coming. It kind of made Solo look like a cold blooded killer but I think that was part of the charm of the character, his mercenary nature and the way he was totally reformed by his relationship with the princess. Now it just looks as if he has Jedi reflexs! Greedo now shoots first and Han's head actually jerks to the side to dodge the shot and THEN he nails Greedo. IMHO, it takes away from the way his charater changes throught the trilogy and makes him a moron for saying the Force is nothing but a "bunch of simple tricks and nonsense" when we can clearly see that he has Jedi reflexes. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isaac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene was supposedly changed to have Greedo shoot first because Lucas didn't want Han Solo to look like a bad guy. But like mentioned above, I don't see how it made him into a bad guy at all. He only shot Greedo after he knew it was his only choice other than getting captured. And I'm sure Han Solo was planning to use the money from Obi-Wan to pay off Jabba.
Even so, regardless of whether or not it made Solo into "the bad guy," clearly the all of the people who made SW into the blockbuster hit it has been for decades before Lucas messed around with it, didn't have many complaints about Solo shooting first. I just cringe every time I see Greedo shooting first, it looks so stupid the way they did it.
StephenZX3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha! Thanks guys. I do have the VHS Special Edition and remember the change now.

Are there any other "ridiculous" changes that were made to the DVDs? Im just curious, I love finding all these weird little quirks.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike most people, I don't care about Solo shooting first, last, or whatever. Doesn't change the experience for me at all.

What does alter it is the fact that they did it so crappily in the SE. I think they fixed that in the DVD though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people don't like that Han steps on Jabba's tail in during their scene in docking bay 94. Personally, I love as it really shows that Han 'has brass ones' and that he and Jabba have some kind of close relationship. At least in the DVD Jabba looks better than what they came up with in '97.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: