FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ended Contest #6: Vignette: Winner Selected!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Final Round Contest #6: Vignette
Big_X
18%
 18%  [ 40 ]
Mark Stafford
16%
 16%  [ 37 ]
TheBohrok
13%
 13%  [ 29 ]
Kaminoan
25%
 25%  [ 55 ]
fmoo
26%
 26%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 218

Wat Tambor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Kaminoan! You get my vote! Very Happy

I would like to say that all the vigs were great! Everyone should win!
Kaminoan
Fine Clonier [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to tip my hat to all the particpants for well built vigs. I know I had a lot of fun with my build and hope you did too. I am very appreciative of the votes and support I have recieved. I think everyone has enjoyed this contest, I know I have as it has given me many ideas on how to build better vigs in the future. Good luck to all in the second round.

Kam
Kaminoan's Ebay Auctions
Amber's Revenge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Donner1846

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Future Contests Reply with quote

This message is open for debate and is only meant to be taken into consideration for future contests. Please feel free to reply.

Looking at the situation right now, its obvious that KAMINOAN and FMOO are the front-runners and one of them is probably going to win this Vig contest. It will probably be a close race right until the end on the 17th and there may be some debate over voting, timing or some other small issue. I heard about the B-wing contest and I understand a debate broke out on that contest.

It might be wise to include a third round of voting in future contests. This way the two top vote getters can square off and it will be obvious which one is the true winner. Or in case of a close contest they split the prize (just an idea).

I may be wrong on this point and ONIONS might have already tried this in the past. I do not know. My point is when a race is so close, like this one, there are bound to be some concerns from contestants about the finer details of the contest.

This comment is open to everyones opinion:

Question Question Question Should there be a third round of voting in future contests where the top two square off? Question Question Question

DONNER1846
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it stays like this and there is a draw then it might be a good idea
tanotrooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joedward wrote:
if it stays like this and there is a draw then it might be a good idea

O yes, a draw. Duel with pistols at dusk. 5 steps, turn around and DRAW your gun Smile

TT
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues that surrounded the last contest and seem to be getting brought up again could potentially be eliminated by simply not showing the running results of the voting. For example, if I come to vote and see that the MOC I like is in 5th place in this round I may decide that rather than voting for the only I truly like best that I vote for the 1 that I think should win out of the top 2 vote gettings to date.

So rather than seeing what we really think about who has the best MOC, we get results that are skewed toward the 2 or 3 MOC's that became early front runners. While I do in fact check in to see how the voting is going becuase it is fun and interesting, in the view of getting results that are more fair and accurate we should save the results of the polling until the polls have closed.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just like American Idol!!!

Vote for who you want. I find it fun watching this match with such a close finish. There may be some voting bias, but isn't showing bias what voting is about? I doubt there is vote cheating so let this run its course. It isn't like the U.S. Presidential election where the popular vote doesn't win because of hanging chads.

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think creating a third round won't solve anything. I would just let the poll open longer than the deadline in order to have a winner (by 1 or 2 votes).
Simplicity often is the best solution !!

This Round 2 is quite exciting to follow !!

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what if it is a draw
xwingyoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a draw, let the poll open for one more day (simple and effective) Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no way i can be convinced of a third round of voting. i already feel like two rounds is dragging it on long enough.

one change i will be implementing in future contests: voting rounds will be set for a certain number of days that will not be pre-announced, it will be no less than 3 days, and no more than 10.

also, in the event of a tie, i normally cast the tie breaking vote, but i've decided to instead have the mods cast their vote in the admin board, that way i can't be accused of any bias.
Remnant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions wrote:
there is no way i can be convinced of a third round of voting. i already feel like two rounds is dragging it on long enough.

one change i will be implementing in future contests: voting rounds will be set for a certain number of days that will not be pre-announced, it will be no less than 3 days, and no more than 10.

also, in the event of a tie, i normally cast the tie breaking vote, but i've decided to instead have the mods cast their vote in the admin board, that way i can't be accused of any bias.

I agree, two rounds is good enough. I just can't wait for the next contest! Very Happy

If you're a Christian, put this in your sig :><>
Previously known as Cmdr. Bacara
fmoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the neck-neck voting for these contests was a bit peculiar (by this I mean in a human nature way, not in a cheating way). For this contest, my entry ended up being a part of this FBTB voting phenomenon, and I still don't quite understand it. Smile My guess is that people can't help but peek at the results before voting. For a future contest, I think it might be interesting to try Renegade's suggestion of hiding the results (if phpbb's polling system implements it) until the contest ends.

Dennis

thievery.org/dennisc | flickr
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the results should remain hidden until the end of the polling (if that's possible with phpbb). That way, votes aren't influenced by who's winning and who's second.

Other than that, it's really a close race folks (even the third runner isn't that far behind the two front runners), so I encourage eveyone to vote for their favorite! I want a really close photo finish!

Let the best member win!

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xwingyoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In advance sorry for asking this question, but on these boards, can you see the current results before voting ?

I only voted 3 times in contests and I did not notice anything: I just voted for the entry I wanted to and end of story.

I know that on other boards (Eurobricks for exemple), you cannot see the results of the poll before answering it. Only once you answered, you see the results. Is that possible here ? That solves the problem of "political" voting.

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not showing the results until the contest ends seems to be the best solution. I have no major grudge with the current voting system, since I never check the results before voting. But I do feel it's more like a "real" vote if you don't know who's leading and who's behind before you vote.

I did have fun seeing where my vote went after casting it though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see everyone is putting in their two cents.

I was not aware of the political issue that seeing the voteswould cause, but I guess thats only natural. During elections I can see how knowing the outcome in the west based on the votes cast in the east can skew the results. The same applies here. This is a fantastic model ... note to all teachers and students.

Perhaps the solution is to simply reduce the number of choices in the second round. Giving us fewer options ... two vigs only ... would either let one person run away with the contest, give the contestant who is behind a fighting chance (rally support), or have a very close race that might need to be decided by the administrator (an exciting finish).

In this contest I think it may be very close. My prediction is that KAMINOAN will win by a margin of no more than 8 votes. Not that I'm biased, since I voted for THE BOHROK and I do like FMOO's Tantive IV vig. I actually voted for the other Tantive IV vig in round one.

Here is my new question for everyone:

Question Question Do you think fewer choices in round 2 would end the debate and controversy over skewed results and make for a more exciting contest? Question Question

DONNER1846
xwingyoda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donner1846,

2 only contendents for Round 2 seems to be way too few IMO. Look at how many entries we had to choose from in Round 1, it would be kind of unfair to include only 2 in Round 2 Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Houndis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with xwingyoda. 2 is too few, and 6 is too much. 5 is just perfect.

It's a good idea to hide results of the poll. It would make these contests better. Smile
Donner1846

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houndis wrote:
I agree with xwingyoda. 2 is too few, and 6 is too much. 5 is just perfect.

It's a good idea to hide results of the poll. It would make these contests better. Smile

Both Houndis and Yoda bring up excellent points. How many is too many and how few are too few. If we hide the results the problem may be solved.

Also, Onions raised a great point about sticking to a timeline that allows everyone to vote that is not too long that it drags on and not so short that people miss their opportunity to vote.

Onions is doing a great job running this contest in my opinion. We just need to tighten up the timeline for voting and hide the results. In the end there will be a grand presentation of the final five for round two of competition and a final showdown to determine the victor in the future.

My question to all is as follows:

Question Question How long should voting last? Question Question

I think four days is the ideal length ... not too long and not too short. Once I've voted I hate waiting for the second round and who wants to wait weeks to win a contest. Short, swift and sweet is the path to victory!

DONNER1846
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, we're just beating a dead horse at this point.
SNOT Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote for the Bohrak's vig. It's just super clean looking with great photography.

Last edited by SNOT Skywalker on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOT Skywalker wrote:
TheBohrok had 14% yesterday. Now TheBohrok only has 13%. If I'm wrong on this one, please let me know.

13% of 205 is 27 votes. The more people that vote, the lower or higher the percentage is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Turkguy. I just smacked my forehead over that as soon as I wrote it so I had to edit in something a little more intelligent.
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... this potential ending is like deja-vu, hmmmm any how. I really wanted to have an entry, but jobs and free time just aren't on my side anymore Sad . But hey, I am very inspired by the vigs and the creativity the builders have exhibited- Good Job! Furthermore, beyond the build quality is the picture quality, I haven't seen lighting effects and still shots this good since I poured over my old lego mags which was several years ago. My only sore spot about this contest is the vote count..... weak. But you already knew that didn't you? Wink
JackFrZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is intense!Cool Who will win:Kam,or Fmoo?Can The rest come back?

I voted Kam.His vig is amazing,and he captures the scene beautifully.And congrats to everyone who entered!Smile
you did great!
DevalII
Donner1846

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

What a finish!

Two votes separating FMOO and KAM.

I guess my prediction of KAM by eight was a little off. I'll have to give up my dream of being a bookie, otherwise I'll end up in the poor house.

Great job to everyone who entered. I hope FMOO and KAM take the time to write something about this contest and why they chose to do the vigs they did. A few inspirational words to voting public.

I am suprised that so few people voted in on this contest. I was expecting at least 500 votes, given the size of the community. Oh well!
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donner1846 wrote:

I am suprised that so few people voted in on this contest. I was expecting at least 500 votes, given the size of the community. Oh well!

Actually, if you look at past contest, 212 votes is a lot. In the past there were around 100 votes total. This contest had twice that.

Anyway, great job to all and congrats Fmoo! Two times now the person I voted for won Wink
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
Donner1846 wrote:

Actually, if you look at past contest, 212 votes is a lot. In the past there were around 100 votes total. This contest had twice that.

Anyway, great job to all and congrats Fmoo! Two times now the person I voted for won Wink

Yeah Donner, this was quite a turn out. Remember, the size of the community doesn't mean that the community is actually that large. We may have 2000 members but at least 1000 of those members have posted either once or never before. Some members are just lurkers who only stop in on occassion. I would say there are about 100 frequent members here so double that is pretty good!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19
Jump to: