FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mad you didn't know about the temp forums?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Mad you didn't know about the temp forums? Reply with quote

I've seen a bunch of posts from people saying "there was a temporary forum and nobody told me?" Some people sound like they're upset or offended. I just wanted to start a thread that would stand out to everyone in that situation and try to reassure them that they shouldn't take it personally. Each of you should know that nobody was conspired against or specifically left out of the temp forum. (Unless you count the two or three idiots that violated the rules and got banned.)

See, the temporary forum was created by Repoort a few days after FBTBForums got hacked. The FBTB admins didn't ask him to do it; it was his own project. He did a great job getting something up and trying to contact people from FBTB to let them know about it. In fact, Count Blockula even took as much of the FBTBForums member list from his cache or something and used that to contact people. Part of the problem is that a lot of us didn't have our email address made public so we couldn't ever get contacted. Another issue is that some of us, myself included, didn't use regular email or IM to talk with other FBTB folks; we just used the PM feature. I was in the same boat. I didn't know about the temp forum until January 11 when I saw a reference to it on Lugnet. FBTB Forums were hacked around Dec 16 as best as I remember so going from Dec 16 to Jan 11 was a long time to go without my daily dose of FBTB. I really missed some of you guys. </sappy>

I was upset at first when I found the temp forum and thought to myself "I can't believe nobody invited over to play." Then I thought "how are they going to invite you when you use an alias and keep your email private? Duh!" So I canceled my pity party and joined the temp FBTB party and had a good time. Now we're all back together. Let's play well!

Oh, I'd also like to let you know that I'm not on the FBTB staff and they don't "endorse this message." I just don't want anyone going away mad and not returning. Holding a grudge hurts you more than the person/people you're mad at. Alright, enough advice from your big brother... In the words of Abraham Lincoln at the end of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: "Be excellent to each other. And, party on dudes!"
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Austin, and I endorse this message.

Really, I do. I felt bad as well when I learned some regulars never made it over but since I too communicate via PMs, it was hard for me to get the word out.

Ah well, looks like it turned out alright in the end. Cool
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well I only checked every day to se if the forums were up. Wink
BigDog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's a perfect explanation. We did not ask to have the link posted on the main fbtb site to the temp forum because the temp forum did not have all the same rules that we normal use at fbtb and so it was never given an offical fbtb endorsement. I know several people tried very hard to contact everyone from fbtb, but if they didn't have your email address there wasn't much any of us could do.
Fancies Mudkips

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, nobody actually told me about the temp forums, I found a refrence in the backlogs of the classic castle chat and hunted around for a little while. I then checked with all fbtb members on my msn list to make sure they knew about it (jail can attest to that, I must have asked him at least 5 times Embarassed).
Also, in the temp forums there was a thread called the fbtb missing olist, where we tried to compile all the names of the people who hadn't made it yet, and see if anyone had their email address. So if you didn't make it, please rest assured that we were really trying find you, and I'm sorry if we didn't reach you in time.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I somewhat feel this is directed to me, at least in part, as my "Hello, my name is..." thread title would make it seem like I was upset. Sure it sucks I missed out, but yeah, I'm not crying in a corner over it... no one should be. If anything, anyone who wasn't told and feels they should have been should take this oprotunity to talk to other members through other means than this forum... like get to know some IM names or trade a few emails... I'm sure anyone who's upset will get over it Wink
Lord Morril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahaha! Hoochie told me about them. Smile

*is popular, for a bad guy?*
Quazi_Evil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to apddawan for getting me there Smile
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found out around i think january 2nd but it was sad to not see most familiar faces there... Crying or Very sad
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts to this! I was deliberately excluded and there ain't nothing anyone can say to change my mind!

(The above post is/was intended as a joke. I do not actually believe what I wrote, and I understand that when I don't keep in close contact with anyone from the forum I can't blame anyone when they don't know how to contact me. Unfortunately I still won't make my email address public, because I don't need more spam.)

(ΞΞΞΞΞ)><@><||(=======================================
sbr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, it's no big deal. But it could have been handled better. To quote from my comment in another thread (which may or may not be one of the "hurt" messages you referred to):

"If nothing else, the main page highlights things of interest to those who visit the site - surely the temp forum was of interest? Those who run the site were obviously aware of it.

And really - there should have been some sort of acknowledgement on the main page that the forums weren't there after the first week or so when the original news dropped off the page. "

The reasons you cite (not being able to contact people to tell them) apply only to those who managed the new forums, assuming - as seems to be the case - that none were true fbtb insiders as such. That's fine. But I think the fbtb site itself could've posted a heads-up, and kept an acknowledgement that the forums were down on the front page.

But... I don't want to labour the point, so Ill move on.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and other members did our best to inform everyone that we could put our virtual hands on.. Some of you have been contacted through CSF, some through Eurobricks and some through e-mails.. And we even told many to spread the word.
But still, I believe that FBTB could have linked the site from the main page and say that they don't have any affiliation with the temp forums, as simple as that... It's not like it was a commercially built forum nor it was a non LEGO forum... I really don't understand all the technicalities behind all of what had happened, but it's history now and let's move on..

My Brickshelf Gallery
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reasons you cite (not being able to contact people to tell them) apply only to those who managed the new forums, assuming - as seems to be the case - that none were true fbtb insiders as such. That's fine. But I think the fbtb site itself could've posted a heads-up, and kept an acknowledgement that the forums were down on the front page.

Allow me to clear -- even if Ace or De wanted to, they couldn't have. Why? Because since the forums were unofficial and they weren't responsible for it's administration, they couldn't be sure what would or wouldn't be posted (since we didn't even have a CoC over there). Anything offensive that might have been posted on there meant that FBTB would have linked to that and, since this is a family friendly place, that's bad news.
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should mention that my main post was directed to people who didn't know about the temp forum but not at anyone specifically to say "quit your whining." That was definitely not my intention. I just wanted to put up an explanation that would stand out and help everyone understand.
Thanks to Austin, BigDog, and Darkkazmo for helping to explain. I think people understand now and hope all is well.
do not disturb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bunch of people contacted me, so i registered but got no reply from whoever was running the joint, jeez i wonder.... Rolling Eyes
don't worry you didn't miss much, plus denise/ace updated the homepage so we wouldn't miss out on any good deals or info. Smile
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[offtopic]Wow do not disturb... Is yur name susposed to be like that?[offtopic]
do not disturb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman wrote:
[offtopic]Wow do not disturb... Is yur name susposed to be like that?[offtopic]

nah its supposed to be do not disturb but i rushed through the registration and didn't notice i switched the T and the O. Sad i'm hoping it'll get fixed at some point otherwise do nto disturb it is! Razz
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you've been fixed, DND!
do not disturb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Hey, you've been fixed, DND!

fixed? don't let the ladies know. Embarassed Razz Very Happy ::D:
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hides the scissors*

What? Wink
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was just thinking we didn't have enough innuendo as of late, but that's not quite what I had in mind! Embarassed ::D:
Ed the Wolf
Superhero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you didn't register as Dount Disturb. Mmmmmmmmmmm. . . donuts. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: