FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue With The Falcon... A Little Advice Please?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macvsog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Issue With The Falcon... A Little Advice Please? Reply with quote

So, I'm really new to the Lego Star Wars communities... really, really new. And I'm old... maybe the oldest on here-I'm not sure-and being that old makes me even more new. And I'm a 101st Airborne, and MacVSog vet of two tours in Vietnam... which means that this is not my specialty or world - I don't know the language or the set numbers or anything, but I'm going to try my very best and I'm very sorry because I know how annoying new people can be. But I'm into all this for some reason.

So my question:

I just put together the new Falcon set... I love the look of it and I'm happy with it for the most part. I have customized the interior some, but I have to say that I'm very dissapointed with the overall stability of the model. I like a set that can take a little abuse... I hate that when you touch or move the thing the "end caps" (i don't know what to call them) fall off. I'm talking about the circular end caps on the exterior where the ramp and ejection pod are. This is highly annoying to me... I'm thinking about supergluing a few of the parts... but this would mean that I might not be able to use the ejection pod or the ramp.... That isn't such a big deal to me... but I'm thinking that there might be other solutions that I am not aware of.

So, has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone fixed it?

Thanks,

-mike-
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your talking about the little "door" thingie that covers up the escape pod hatch, try and find a way to secure it down but dont glue it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you glue, then use a hot glue gun. That will hold, but you can also get it off.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people here are pretty anti-gluing. The only advice I can offer since I do not have the Falcon (yet...) is to try to improvise. It doesn't have to stay the way Lego made it, I'm sure you can make it more accurate or convenient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HJR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: welcome to fbtb!!!

I don't know if you already have extra pieces apart from your Falcon, but I think it's best to use some extra pieces to improve the construction.

I personally think that the Falcon was created by LEGO's designers, but the boarding ramp was made by LEGO accountants. It's way too flimpsy and although this is more realistic (everything broke down on the Falcon)

On my Falcon the weak spot is the lower brick (the one with the 'wave' pattern in it, and so I think a solution would be this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/HJR/junk/untitled1.jpg

Maybe it's time we all started nagging with LEGO about this; it worked with the Slave I...
legopal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I both both old and new falcons sitting on the table. The only problem I found on the new falcon is the cockpit outside of the main body (where Han Solo and Chewie are sitting at). The window keeps falling off by a little touch. The escape pod itself should be fine and is secured neatly within the trap door. Look into the instruction again and see if some pcs were not placed in the correct place.
The old falcon is more solid although it is smaller and has less features.
macvsog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand all you guys not wanting to glue... I don't really want to do it either.

I had the weakness problem with the ramp and with the nose cone of the cockpit as well... but I fixed those pretty easily.

It is these hatches or doors or whatever they are that I just can't seem to fix. I have added a few pieces in key places trying to make it stronger and they don't seem to help too much. I just can't seem to be able to make it stronger with bricks.

So I did this... kind of a compromise: I hotglued just the hinges of the doors to the actual door. This means that the doors and hinges still work perfectly fine, and there is only one piece that is glued. I could get it off if needed as well. It holds very, very well now.

And yeah, the ramp really does suck (until I fixed it that is).

Oh well I like the bird now anyways.

Now, I'm going to work on some retractable landing gear... because the ones that came with the Falcon are kind of lame if I do say so myself.

Also another question:

I'm sure this had been covered, but I looked through a lot of the old posts, and there is a chance I missed it, but I just couldn't find it (you can just direct me to that post if there is one):

What is the reasoning for Lego's decision to change over from yellow faces to colored faces? Does anyone else like the old yellow ones better? Is this just temporary? Are they going to go back to yellow soon?

Thanks,

-mike-
Hman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the reasoning for Lego's decision to change over from yellow faces to colored faces?

Political correctness, in my eyes. But they released an offical statement telling the reasoning somewhere, don't really remember where thought.
Quote:
Does anyone else like the old yellow ones better?

Yeah. I very highly dislike the new colors, just because of continuity.
Quote:
Is this just temporary? Are they going to go back to yellow soon?

I doubt it. Sad Of course, the flesh rule only applies to figures that depict real life characters. (ie: Star Wars, Harry Potter, NBA, etc.)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: