FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Star looks nice!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from the front page:
Quote:
Nothing on LEGO.com yet even though today was touted as "the big day".

Am I missing something here? Isn't the Death Star on S@H today's big news?

Last edited by sam89 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGrizzlor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coming soon on 30 Sep 2005

Wait, that's not soon... Wink ::D:
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, the new pics show more details (greeblies) than the first ones that have been captured at the Toy fair... Maybe the first photos were only showing the prototype.
If so, I'm so buying this...

Or is just a photography trick?

My Brickshelf Gallery
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO... It is a $299 set after all...

My Brickshelf Gallery
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the great looking, but Ill probably buy it.
theoryzero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think this is the longest wait for a set posted on S@H before it becomes available. Granted, we've known about other sets in the past long before their release, but they usually aren't up on S@H more than a couple months before their release.

I was kind of hoping they would do promotional pricing to entice buyers like they did with the ISD and UCS Y-Wing, but since the release is so far off I would guess that isn't entirely out of the question. For the die-hards like myself, it will be easier on the wallet. I was getting worried about all the Episode III sets AND the DSII coming out in the same timeframe.

TZ
Ersh777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come back from vacation and I see there's now a UCS Death Star II coming out! Shocked It looks pretty cool! Very Happy It does seem small for a $300 set. but it is 3441 pieces which is more than the ISD if I remember correctly. It looks really fragile though. Confused
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoryzero wrote:
I was kind of hoping they would do promotional pricing to entice buyers like they did with the ISD and UCS Y-Wing, but since the release is so far off I would guess that isn't entirely out of the question. For the die-hards like myself, it will be easier on the wallet. I was getting worried about all the Episode III sets AND the DSII coming out in the same timeframe.

TZ

I hadnt thought about it until you mentioned it, but it seems almost certain that Lego is going to do some promotional pricing (not considerable, but good enough to jumpstart the release). Advertising it for $300 now will guarantee the competists like yourself and myself will buy it with any hint of a discount.

P.S. The more I look at it, the more of a useless uncompleted globe it looks like.

Guess that means two shots of Jack Daniels for the three portraits of Ben Franklins. Crying or Very sad
suspect2b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator Theant wrote:
It's not the great looking, but Ill probably buy it.

my thoughts exactly.

How well balanced it it? or by the looks of it.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guess that means two shots of Jack Daniels for the three portraits of Ben Franklins. Crying or Very sad

:D yeah I hear you, $300 for one set is a lot of cash IMO... I waited years to get that ISD, but that set is one serious art piece, and I wish that I could afford buying a second one before it's totally gone... But that Death Star is nothing like the ISD. It's good but not great, at least not for $300!!!
And if doesn’t go on sale, I'll join you with my bottle of cognac and start grieving.

My Brickshelf Gallery
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
And if doesn’t go on sale, I'll join you with my bottle of cognac and start grieving.

Haha, anybody else would like to join our FBTB 12-step program?

I wonder how many people Lego has driven to drunken despair and broken relationships. *hiccup*

Who knows after a few drinks maybe even that Death Star'll look attractive.
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: New Death Star Model Reply with quote

This model is not exceptionally cool and definately not worth 299. I would much rather buy another star destroyer or the rebel blockade runner.

If this one sells well I will be very surprised. The models for the new movie are looking pretty exciting though.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Hman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cool set, but there's no way I'm paying $300 for it...Jeez.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Death Star Model Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
If this one sells well I will be very surprised.

Cool. Fewer sales means that my MISB DSII will be worth BANK in 2050.

Is "bank" still hip lingo or am I dating myself? Am I dating myself by asking? Oh, forget it.

-Dix
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Faulconbridge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're dating yourself you need to get out of the house more. Wink
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Death Star Model Reply with quote

DixonHill wrote:
Cool. Fewer sales means that my MISB DSII will be worth BANK in 2050.

Is "bank" still hip lingo or am I dating myself? Am I dating myself by asking? Oh, forget it.

-Dix

You are posting replies in a thread discussing the future release of the Death Star II in a website devoted to Star Wars Legos.

Who the hell cares about being hip. Say whatever you want, enjoy your hobby, and everythin else couldnt matter any less. You know what I mean?
DixonHill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Death Star Model Reply with quote

Senator Theant wrote:
Who the hell cares about being hip. Say whatever you want, enjoy your hobby, and everythin else couldnt matter any less. You know what I mean?

Totally killer, dude! I mean... Wicked cool! Or rather... Radical!

D'oh! Wink

Word,
Dix
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at this Death Star, all I see is a diorama piece: Battle of Geonosis, Trade Federation Core Ship. That would be a cool mod and make this set look much more interesting IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Republic wrote:
When I look at this Death Star, all I see is a diorama piece: Battle of Geonosis, Trade Federation Core Ship. That would be a cool mod and make this set look much more interesting IMHO.

Wow. I thought the same thing.

Except I was also thinking making the entire Trade Federation cruiser from the Death Star. But then I dismissed it because the size of the Death Star already would make for a huuuuuge TF Cruiser. But the thought had crossed my mind.
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That had occured to me too but it's way too cost prohibitive for me. As in, divorce....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
do not disturb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was kind of hoping they wouldn't release this kind of death star, you know a big ball that does nothing.
i was hoping they release a bunch of different module sets(around $40-$50) each representing 1/8th of the DS. you get all 8, you slap them together and you get yourself a DS. if they did it this way, they would've been able to include some minifigs and it would be more affordable for all the fans.
yeah it would eventually end up costing more than $300 but atleast there would've been some play value to it, rooms, gunner stations, etc. as well as being able to space out purchases. instead you gotta cough up $300 in one shot for something thats clearly going to be a dust collector.

just my 2 cents.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not disturb wrote:
i was kind of hoping they wouldn't release this kind of death star, you know a big ball that does nothing.
i was hoping they release a bunch of different module sets(around $40-$50) each representing 1/8th of the DS. you get all 8, you slap them together and you get yourself a DS. if they did it this way, they would've been able to include some minifigs and it would be more affordable for all the fans.
yeah it would eventually end up costing more than $300 but atleast there would've been some play value to it, rooms, gunner stations, etc. as well as being able to space out purchases. instead you gotta cough up $300 in one shot for something thats clearly going to be a dust collector.

just my 2 cents.

You could say the same things about the entire UCS line, though. The DSII'll "just sit there" but technically so do the UCS X-Wing, Y-Wing, SD, etc. but that's what they're really made to do.

I'm not disagreeing that some DS playsets wouldn't be good (I think I got all that double-negativeness right... o_O) but the DSII does exactly what it should: sit there and look like a DS. Very Happy I also agree with some others that the unfinished parts could be a bit more detailed, but eh, that's why someone could mod it themselves if they wanted to.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
LD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Death Star II is so big that if I bought it, I would have enough bricks of the new colors to build models where I don't mix them with the old ones.
There seem to be a lot of great bulk bricks in the set. What do you guys think? Should I but the Death Star and begin to buy LEGOs again and simply accept the new colors as an addition to my collection?

It was the principe. I wished LEGO would change the colors back, but am loosing my hope for it.
If I get the Death Star, I might also get the Y-wing, the mobile crane and rereleased hot rod x2 (the last three for parts). I know this will cost a lot, but last time I heard that LEGO has had it's worst financial year. The future doesn't look too bright.
Senator Theant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the DS has the same pieces as the SD, making more sense to buy another Star Destroyer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: