FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with purchasing and chasing sets

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Problems with purchasing and chasing sets Reply with quote

Firstly, fantastic site and lots of helpful and informative articles.

The problem I am having is the fact that here in Australia where I live the Star Wars lego has only recently taken off which means many of the older sets didnt surface where I am. Some I have managed to pick up off E-Bay (Aus) however some of what I can tell has been discontinued dosen't surface.

Does anyone have any advice where I can track these down? Being in Australia I am cautious of sending money internationally due to the current Australian dollar and the risk of mail however has anyone had a similar problem and found a good solution?

I am dying to get my hands on these fantastic Lego additions that simply didn't surface here where I am.
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, Rockay!

One thing that I would strongly recommend, if you don't already have it, is to get a PayPal account. That helps a lot when you're making international trades/sales.

And if you stick around here, I'm sure you'll get to know a lot of nice people who can help you out with the sets you don't get in Australia.

Good luck! Very Happy
mmcb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockay,

I also live in Australia and have managed to get pretty much all of the sets (that I can afford anyway Confused )

I am slowly trying to get all available sets now though.
What I am doing is getting the parts inventory through Peeron, then getting the instructions and parts through Bricklink.
There are some really decent Bricklink stores here in Aus.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the sets (display completed model, play with it, leave in the box, etc...)

Happy hunting,
MMCB
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmcb wrote:
What I am doing is getting the parts inventory through Peeron, then getting the instructions and parts through Bricklink.

You're buying all the pieces piece by piece?? Shocked Now that's devotion!

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Rockay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another Australian here and thanks for all your advice so far. Where in Australia are you from. I would love to know if your area stocks more than mine.

I am unfamiliar with Peeron or Bricklink but I guess I should check these out as I do have a paypal account.
mmcb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m19: I usually have anywhere between 50-75% of the pieces already. Its just the rest of the more exotic pieces that I need to get of Bricklink.

Rockay: Im in South East Sydney...at the moment there aren't any older (1.5yrs or more) sets available. There is only SOME of the 2004 range that can still be had.

Cheers,
MMCB
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:

You're buying all the pieces piece by piece?? Shocked Now that's devotion!

I've done that myself, with some old castle sets. It's actually sometimes cheaper to buy piece by piece, believe it or not. And if you have more time than money... well...
Rockay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out Bricklink and I was amazed! I have never seen anything like that before and I can tell you now I signed up immediatley and let a few friends check it out also.

I am from Melbourne and there isn't much to go from here unfortunatley.
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricklink is great, but expensive! Beware! Cool Once you get hooked, it's hard to stop placing those orders...

Have you seen these websites? Most useful!

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/

http://www.peeron.com/inv
Rockay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know where to find the manual for a AT-AT now? Wink
FrozenPea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is brisbane it seems that kmart basically is trying to discontinue their lego range completely. Target has nothing. Big W are pretty good however (in comparison) and have a few of the most recent star wars sets still on shelf (jabbas palace, dagobah x-wing, cantina etc).

Toys 'r us had one set last time i was there, and toyworld seem to have bought just about every "mini" set they could get their hands on to sell for half price.

I'm dissapointed there aren't any aussie lego forums on the net (unless i've missed one) but hopefully we can keep ourselves up to date on this forum right here with any new releases, deals, bargains, sales etc we find! Very Happy
Purple Tentacle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello fellow aussies, im from Newcastle.

In my experience K-Mart is the best store for new stuff, EBay is the best place for old sets, and Bricklink is the best for minifigs.

oh yeah, and FBTB is the best for new information and forums.
sith4ever99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have all those stores in Aussie? wow U.S.A produces a lot of multinational corperations.
Rockay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all those stores are in Australia and the worst thing is half the shopping centres have them all so close together. I know in my area Big W and K-Mart are like two steps away from one another and Target is a couple more Rolling Eyes
sith4ever99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like home to me Very Happy
chump

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockay wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know where to find the manual for a AT-AT now? Wink

Sadly the AT-AT is not one of them, but a whole lot of Star Wars instructions in PDF format can be downloaded from Lego.com directly.

http://www.lego.com/eng/buildinginstructions/default.asp
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: