FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photoshop help needed.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Photoshop help needed. Reply with quote

Just a few quick questions. Smile

I am under the impression that the latest version is CS 8.1. Is this correct?

In relation to this, how old is photoshop: elements?

How big (in terms of hard disk space) does the latest version of photoshop take up?

Thanks. Cool
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop help needed. Reply with quote

Quote:
I am under the impression that the latest version is CS 8.1. Is this correct?

CS is version 8.x, yes.

Quote:
In relation to this, how old is photoshop: elements?

PS Elements is at 3.0.1 and I think 3.0 came out around September last year (2004), IIRC. CS debuted a year earlier in September 2003.

Quote:
How big (in terms of hard disk space) does the latest version of photoshop take up?

My install's taking up about 1.5 GBs right now.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind though that photoshop takes up a lot of memory on ur comp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Photoshop gobbles up RAM like no tomorrow Razz
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i like your sig, very nice Cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Elements. I know people around here (work) swear by it but then again, I only use PhotoShop CS for color correction since my job is CG.

PhotoShop does eat memory but it's the best amateur photo enchancing program on the market, I think.

Industrial Light & Magic
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam currently running off a tryout for CS but i might install a copied photoshop 7 my dad got from work, or i might try my hand at downloading it off of LimeWire Smile
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used PS since version 4, most recently switching from 7 to CS. Honestly the only differences I've noticed in my workflow with CS is a) the GUI is "prettier" and b) it uses up more memory. Wink You'd be fine with 7 if you've already got a copy.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Oli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop help needed. Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
PS Elements is at 3.0.1 and I think 3.0 came out around September last year (2004), IIRC. CS debuted a year earlier in September 2003.

Hold on. So photoshop elements is an earlier version then CS, yet it was released after CS?
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS and Elements weren't initially released at the same time so they're not on par with each other regarding version numbers. The first version of Elements, I think, was released before Photoshop CS, but Photoshop as a program was released loooong before Elements and thus is at a higher version number already. Elements was developed and produced more recently so it's at a lower version number.

Think of the release schedule like this:

< PS 5.0
PS 5.0
PS 6.0
Elements 1.0
PS 7.0
Elements 2.0
PS CS (8.0)
Elements 3.0

PS the program existed before Elements the program, but the most recent Elements version (3.0) is newer than the most recent PS version (CS/8.0). Does that make sense? Smile

Here's some good reading in case you're confused as to the differences between the two programs:
http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/vs_elements.html

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
fatespadawan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
I've used PS since version 4, most recently switching from 7 to CS. Honestly the only differences I've noticed in my workflow with CS is a) the GUI is "prettier" and b) it uses up more memory. Wink You'd be fine with 7 if you've already got a copy.

m19

I prefer PS7 for my personal use. It does the trick.

Industrial Light & Magic
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using PS professionally since v3.0, but I've skipped the even numbered versions (I've stuck with 3>5>7); I'm happy with 7 for the time being. As Morgan pointed out, CS is version 8.

My first experience with PS was a long time ago, on a state-of-the-art quad-processor SGI desk-side workstation ... sounds impressive, but the current versions are a lot better on PC or Mac.

PS Elements is a different product to PS; although they do share some common code, think of Elements as a stripped down, simpler version really aimed at the home photo editing market; with the latest version (v3) it also includes the "Photoshop Album" functionality that used to be a seperate product (on PC anyway; the Mac version excludes it, but then most Mac folk have iPhoto already, which does much the same thing). For the money, Elements 3 is a very good product for the home market. It includes a number of clever features inhereted from CS, but also adds a few more to the feature set - we'll probably see 'pro' versions in PS9 when it is released.

Elements effectively replaced two previous image editors from Adobe - Photoshop LE (which was more expensive than, but fairly similar in functionality to, Elements), and Photodeluxe (available in two versions for Home and Business use), which was much simpler than (and about half the price of) Elements.

PS itself is a general purpose, professional image creation and editing system, designed to integrate into professional workflows. It has some very powerful capabilities, that many users will never make use of. It takes a bit of getting used to, and it doesn't do as much hand-holding as Elements, but, like any tool, I think it's worth the effort you put into learning how to use it properly. Recent versions have also included a seperate application called "Image Ready", focused more creating and optimising graphics for web use; I rarely use it, prefering Macromedia's Fireworks - although I rarely use it for web graphics, it's an excellent tool for creating imagery for reports and presentations.

Hope that helps,

Ian.
Oli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I understand now! I was under the impression that elements was just what adobe called a previous version of photoshop.

Thanks for the help ian and morgan! Very Happy

What do people think about Serif software? Any good?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: