FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illegal to sell used LEGO's after Feb 10th 2009?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsocal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not going to prevent any of us from buying, collecting, displaying, or playing with Lego, is it? Rolling Eyes

Technically the new law could prohibit the buying and selling of used LEGO's, but in reality it's going to be very difficult for them to police it.

The biggest concern IMO is that this dumb law might be a precedent of more intrusive things to come.

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is that even if this law goes into effect, it won't stop us from enjoying our pastime. I think you're stressing over a minor potential law, and don't see the need for it. Relax and buy yourself a Lego set (while you still can). Razz
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsocal wrote:
The biggest concern IMO is that this dumb law might be a precedent of more intrusive things to come.
Have you called your local legislator and let them know your concern?
tamuhockey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsocal wrote:
While it's true that thrift shops and etc are exempt of the law with the current inventory that's already in their shop when Feb 10th comes. After Feb 10th it sounds like they can only buy and/or receive old/used toys and clothes to resell as long as they are made out of natural materials like cotton, wood, and etc.

No - after Feb 10th, resellers/thrift shops etc can buy and sell any used toys/clothes, same as they can know. The law exempts resellers from having to certify or test any product that they are selling as "used," whether that item is already in their inventory on 2/10, or comes into their possession after that. The law is designed for the original manufacturer and importers of said products, to certify that their products meet current standards. If all new products sold meet those standards, then as a result, when those items are resold via thrift stores, etc, they won't need to be re-certifed, as they will have already been certified when they were originally sold. So - it will not affect anyone reselling LEGO, in any way. It will directly affect the manufacturing companies as they will have to certify that all their toys designed for use by children under 12, meet these new standards, but will not impact anyone reselling any of those toys/clothes.

The exemption for wood and natural materials, is an exemption for manufacturers, i.e. if you make and sell an all wood product, you don't have to certify that its lead/chemical free, in order to meet the requirements.

My Custom Clone Wars RGS on: Brickshelf & MOCpages
johnsocal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamuhockey,

I hope you're right.

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.
johnsocal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28569688/

Quote:

Consignment stores and thrift shops seemed to be the silver lining in the midst of an economic storm...But rumors the past week had many children second hand store owners worried they might be forced out of business.

Recent confusion of a new law scheduled to take effect next month led many storeowners to believe they would have to spend big bucks to get their merchandise checked for lead. The law was created in response to numerous recalls, last year, of imported toys containing dangerous levels of lead.

Quote:

But after much ado, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced second hand stores that sell children's products would not have to certify their products meet the new lead limits ...BUT if they sell a product containing more than the legal amount of lead, they could face criminal charges.

Quote:
She says news of the new law spread like a virus, and calls flooded in from worried customers who were concerned she would close.

"I had some people saying that yes. I said why? Are you throwing me a going away party? It better be a good one".

Both owners say although they constantly search the watch lists for recalls, they will be even more vigilant under the new laws.

"I probably won't be buying anymore toys for a while until it's all straightened out", said Smith.

After the February cut off date, any children's item, clothing included, containing 600 parts per million total lead will be illegal to sell.
Second-hand stores that sell children's products are expected to check with the CPSC or manufacturers if there's any doubt about an item.

ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really... What is this supposed to do?

'We're sorry for all the sons of butches who already bought the lead-infested and thus deadly Lego sets, but just don't give them to anyone else while we pretend to find a cure.'

Rolling Eyes
Blacknight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:

It's a scapegoat law to make it seem like the government is doing something, and to shift the public's focus away from the root of the problem: that because of free trade, our governments no longer have the capacity to monitor the safety standards of the toys that children play with, the food that we eat, etc. Every time you go to the store and buy products, you're playing Russian roulette with your health. Yes we have gotten cheap prices from China but they have come with a hidden cost to our health that will be paid for decades to come. All because a bunch of greedy corporations (thankfully not Lego) decided that outsourcing was the way to go to make a few extra bucks.

The economic theory of free trade is beautiful. It's real-life consequences are not always so pretty.
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was scared, but considering that LEGO don't have that amount of lead (or any lead), we can breathe out. Otherwise, we might have needed to spend all our money to buy LEGO on eBay right now.

End creepy minifig faces!
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacknight wrote:
CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:

It's a scapegoat law to make it seem like the government is doing something, and to shift the public's focus away from the root of the problem: that because of free trade, our governments no longer have the capacity to monitor the safety standards of the toys that children play with, the food that we eat, etc. Every time you go to the store and buy products, you're playing Russian roulette with your health. Yes we have gotten cheap prices from China but they have come with a hidden cost to our health that will be paid for decades to come. All because a bunch of greedy corporations (thankfully not Lego) decided that outsourcing was the way to go to make a few extra bucks.

The economic theory of free trade is beautiful. It's real-life consequences are not always so pretty.

True... At least the only toys I really buy nowadays are Legos...
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Lead in Lego, this may be the proof we need:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071121183939AAtxOHs
I liked that this response had links to actual testing companies.
Still, to be safe, don't chew and swallow your yellow/red bricks.

Melissa wrote:
Legos were tested for lead with a special analyzer and were found to contain no lead:

"In the first 5 seconds what were seeing is 6000 parts per million of zinc, a little bit of copper, that's probably part of the coloring. There's definitely not any lead. I've been testing for 25 seconds and if there were any lead we'd be definitely seeing it by now."

http://www.alleghenyfront.org/transcript...

Not all Legos are made in China. I have a box of Lego Duplo and it says that they are made in Denmark, Hungary, England and the Czech Republic. I know some are also manufactured in Mexico and China.

I'm very concerned about the lead that is contained in toys. I was reading that there is no limit to the amount of lead that can be put in plastic, which is scary since so many children chew on plastic toys!

While many of my kids made-in-china toys have gone into the garbage, I am continuing to buy Legos because the company had a good reputation

Megablocks are a cheap imitation of Legos, and more often than not you get what you pay for.

"Lead is sometimes added to plastics to give them yellow or red color, Mr. Mays said. Alternative pigments sometimes are more costly and often have longer drying times. "
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...

And what do you know? The highest amounts of lead were found in the yellow megablocks.

Watch out for dinnerware too. There has been a case of a child getting lead poisoning from plates her parents bought at Walmart. Walmart didn't even bother doing a recall.
1 year ago
Source(s):
I've had multiple toys recalled due to lead paint and have been doing research to protect my children from lead poisoning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what do you know? The highest amounts of lead were found in the yellow megablocks.

Is that a nail I hear hitting a coffin?
johnsocal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The deadline for this law has now been puched back a year.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/punews/local_story_032231922.html

Quote:

Members of the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted unanimously Friday to hold off on a Feb. 10 deadline in which manufacturers were to sell only products that have been tested for lead and other harmful substances.

Called the "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act," the broadly worded law has sent shock waves across libraries, bookstores, toy stores, handcrafted toy makers and others involved in making or handling children's items.

Last summer, lawmakers imposed the toughest lead standards in the world in the wake of 2007's mass recalls of Chinese-made toys that contained lead, Manufacturers will now have until Feb. 10, 2010, to comply with the testing requirements.

The law was passed in the wake of 2007's mass recalls of Chinese-made toys that contained lead. It calls for the testing of every product that is marketed to American children age 12 and under. The list of those products includes items such as textbooks, children's books, toys, school supplies, cosmetics and children's furniture. Almost all products must be able to prove that they meet the lead test standards, or else face civil or criminal charges up to $100,000 and five years in prison.

Public libraries and school libraries must also make sure there is no lead in their children's books.

"For us it's simply impossible to come into compliance," said Cindy Diminture, library director at Newburyport Public Library. To comply with the law, the library would have to test every children's book on its shelves for lead.

"It could be a disaster if this comes into effect," she said.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: