FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you get strange looks when you buy/play/talk about LEGO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, a thread for me. Definitely, definitely happens alot. The main response I get is "aren't you too old for Lego?" I'm also very annoyed when people point to the reccomended age range on the box and say "see, it says 'ages 5-12'. You're 16!!" Alot of people also refuse to believe in the concept of an AFOL. However, my Dad is somewhat supportive of my MOC builds and likes UCS models like the TIE Advanced and Batmobile. He's still a little broken up that the old Republic Gunship he got for my brother was broken apart (my brother felt the need to start MOC-ing, which I think is a cardinal sin with the Gunship) and refuses to get the new one. I'm currently trying to convince him of the merits of the new AT-TE. He flatly said that the new clone battle pack was not value-for-money at all, but softened after he saw some minifigs fetch close to $100 on Ebay.

><>
munkkeyboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

Anyhoo...I can't remember ever buying a single SW set in a store...and I've been collecting them since they first came out and have nearly every set. I've always personally bought them online from Lego, or a family member has gotten them for me as a holiday gift. So I can't say I've ever gotten a weird look from anyone when buying a set...

However, when I sometimes reveal the PRICE of a particular set after I've bought it (the UCS Falcon and Death Star Playset come to mind), I do get looked at by some folks like I'm OUT OF MY MIND to pay that much for what they think is essentially a 'child's toy', me being 32 and not having any children yet. I guess I can understand it to some extent, but I don't let it bother me. I find that a lot people can't comprehend the nature and value of collecting ANYTHING (stamps, coins, etc.), let alone collecting toys.
twentythree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego is considered by some to be a toy but I believe it is more complex. It is a system. Just as a computer can be for games, learning, work, research, calculations, etc. so can Lego. It can be for children to play but also to learn through many ways. There is color recognition, hand-eye coordination, organization, problem solving, patience, and perseverance. Many others are appropriate as well. Still, none of this makes it less useful when you get older. Adults continue to use the same skills discovered during childhood. There are many things that adults continue to do after reaching matuity but it goes without notice. While the purpose may change, it doesn't negate the fact that everyone has the right to enjoy themselves without judgement.

My introduction to Lego was at about 6 or 7 and it has stuck with me. I can remember a Blackton set at Christmas and the police car I wanted to steal from another boy in school. My interest never left me but I did lose accessibility to the collection at 15 when I moved in with my father. A few years went by when other hobbies and sports filled my freetime. So did a growing interest in the finer points of Star Wars. As a kid, I understood very little of the politics and planning that was involved in the story. For me, it was all about good vs evil and spacebattles. When I went back and watched those movies as a teenager, I finally felt like it was bigger and more complicated and my understanding made me feel a connection.

I was probably lucky that my fascination with Star Wars Lego sets came in 1999 right after highschool. There were no parents watching my checkbook or friends questioning my purchases. I didn't get peer pressure or reprimands so it was a liberating experience to spend my hard-earned money as I saw fit. My collection steadily grew and eventually people did notice the overflowing closets full of sets. I had to stop building because of a lack of display room. Finally, it became a collection of sealed sets. During the course of hunting down replacements for my opened ones, I decided to make some dioramas. I have a house now and am in the process of completing the scenes that have been in my head for about 5 yrs now. There have never really been strange looks at stores but sometimes people mistake me for an employee because of the knowledge I share on the subject. If I lived closer to a Lego store I'd probably try and work there. It wouldn't pay my for my house though.

I used to feel embarassed when people would point out how many sets I had or how much money it had cost. It was like something was wrong with me for not being more "mature". One day while researching some Lego sets on the internet, I stumbled across this site. I was amazed at all of the MOCs and set reviews. It excited me to know that there were enough people out there that felt the same way about Star Wars Lego to actually have a forum. It meant that I wasn't crazy (or the only one) and that I could share my opinions freely with others. Finally, I realized that it was not evil to enjoy myself. The point is that we each have different reasons for keeping Lego in our lives and none of them are wrong. Embrace your choices and appreciate the freedom of those decisons. None of us will ever be able to make everyone happy so we'd better start by accepting ourselves. I'll never apologize for my hobby or how it makes me feel.
The Jinja Ninja wrote: The extended edition includes those scenes (which were replaced with the boulder sequence in the Raiders we know and love) as well as some revisions to the rest of the movie including 'Belloq shot first'
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good story. I agree with you on the part about the the decsion about where to spend your money. In one way, I've thought about the bricks and sets that I have now will still exist- long after I'm dead and gone. Potentally, several generations after myself could still play with them. They could be around long after the end of human civilization for that matter.

I guess my point is; They are an investment into something that will last far beyond most things that we spend our money on.
The Department of Redundancy Department
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: