FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZomDarkie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One Reply with quote

So...ya'll remember my Cathedral. Big ole' white building.

This creation's gone through many phases. From it's humble beginnings, the Cathedral has grown from convention to convention, changing with each showing. But, I'm sad to say...it was time. It was time to tear down the building, sort everything out, and start anew. And while the original took me literally years to build, it only took four hours to tear apart.

Buuuuut I'm not one to let good brick go to waste [And let's face it: I needed a distraction from the rest of my world, which is going the way of the previous Cathedral....]. So I'm rebuilding. And once again, I'm being ambitious.

Thus I present some WIP photos. These aren't necessarily the final pieces, but they're certainly more than simply WIP. I'm putting a lot of thought and care into the interior on this one.

Confessional
Pulpit
Base of a Statue
Repurposed Stained Glass
Apse of the Cross-Design
Floor design work

Overview

What you see is about 8 hours worth of work, from laying the base, outline, foundation, landscaping. I spent about an hour working on layouts on graph paper, to figure out angles and what I want to see.

And that's only three bricks high off the base!

It's 3x3.5 green baseplates, or 96x112 studs. It's actually two modules, for easier transportation.

The design itself is based on real-world designs for the great structures of Europe. Wikipedia has a pretty good article, if you're curious.

So. Any suggestions at this point are quite appreciated. Smile

Thanks!
"...they lined them up, St. Nicholas and the Headless Horseman and Snow White and Rumpelstiltskin and Mother Goose...and shot them down, and burned the paper castles and the fairy frogs and old kings and the people who lived happily ever after..."
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, that's fantastic. I've been to some old real-world cathedrals and I can say yours is a very good interpretation. I love all the detail that goes into the interior and the outside looks great too. I love all the planning that goes into this creation, it shows. You might want to try doing a pipe organ, I'd love to see how that turns out!!

><>
General Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the pipe organ idea, I think that'd be great!
And as always, this is looking beautiful. I don't think I have enough studs to create even one of those stained glass windows...
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be an incredible work of art when it's done. It's impressive in it's scope (and it's only thre bricks tall). Though I am a wayward lamb, I can appreciate the arcitecture of churches and cathedrals. The complexity of the designs of churches are well reflected in what you done already. I have to agree with the pipe organ idea, In churches that I've visited there always seems to be one. Is this design based on a particular building or is it of your own design? Maybe just a collection of churches you've be inspiried by?
The Department of Redundancy Department
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I has suzcriptions?

That's a huge project! I already dig the apse section. The stairs to the altar are great.

We'll know who to complain to when we can't find anything in white on BL.
Wink
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't me, Bernard, I SWEAR!

Patientzombie--I've got one in mind but it looks nothing like this one. I remember the ambiance of it, and that's what I'm trying to build.
"...they lined them up, St. Nicholas and the Headless Horseman and Snow White and Rumpelstiltskin and Mother Goose...and shot them down, and burned the paper castles and the fairy frogs and old kings and the people who lived happily ever after..."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: