FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7680 The Twilight Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rook
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: 7680 The Twilight Review Reply with quote

Set Review # 7680 -- The Twilight

Lego.com Info:

Includes Anakin Skywalker™, Ahsoka™ and R2-D2™ minifigures, plus Rotta™ the Huttlet!
The Twilight has moveable wings and retractable landing gear!
Open the back to use the working tow-cable winch!
Front and sides open!
Detach the side-mounted escape pod!
Rotate the laser cannon turrets on top!
Measures 12" (30cm) long and 18" (46cm) wide!

My Opinion:
(WARNING: I specialize in ship building so I’m going to be very hard on TLC.)

Pros:
I would buy it just simply because I collect all Minifigure Scale Lego Star Wars Sets. The new minifigures is one of the only thing that makes worth buying this set other then having a complete collection. Rotta is actually one of the great redeeming qualities of this set. They made him with pose able arms which is better then some of the stuff Lego has been doing. (I.E. those trans green aliens) Then there’s Ahsoka! She's a smoking hot alien and this little minifigure is almost perfect as far as Lego makes. They made her hair piece out of plastic which I’m sure many of us will be very happy about. I didn't have any problems getting this set, several on shelves but Lego says it's "hard to find" so grab it if you see it.

Cons: Poor variation of parts/pieces makes me want to scrap it. But then my show room collection wouldn't be complete. It had a lot of angled plates but only the left or right one not a pair. Ok details for this ship are almost completely missing! There’s no windshield for starters, no floor in the main cabin, large hole into main cabin where the dorsal gun is, large rear deck with no details, large holes in the cockpit, and he read hatch is blocked by a winch which is good cause if walked in you would surely fall to death since there’s no floor. So overall Lego sucked big time on this one. Can they hire someone who can at least build a ship with a windshield? Idiots. Also the set is pretty breakable. It has 2 pods (1 escape, 1 engine, both can detach too easily) It's pretty breakable as I said before. Also lacks bells and whistles sooooo... ...no. Worst Lego Star Wars Set since the bucket set.

Parts: 6/10
Minifigures: 9/10
Detail: 2/10
Playability: 3/10
Price to parts: 7/10
Availability: 10/10
Swoosh ability: 4/10
Overall rating: 2/10
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, keep in mind that the bucket set was specifically aimed at five-year-old kids, while this monstrosity...it's just trash for all ages. Good review, Rook.
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't interested in this set until reading about it in the visual guide (which is absolutely awesome!). I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm getting Falcon type vibes off it.

endcreepyminifigfaces.blogspot.com
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I loved the firts images of the set we saw and it wasthe fuirst set I bought at Midnight Madness and I really love it !!

I really don't agree with you on different points.

Firts regarding the Mfs I would give it a 2 !! Come on TLC its the same figs as the AT-TE for Pete's sake. Sure its nice to have a second Ashoka & Rotta but a third Anie ? Come on the sucks

Regarding the design I tink that ships rock big time !! I love the old blocky aspect of space shuttle. It has this very particuliar aggressive and boxy look. And as a cargo ship its great to have a huge platform at the rear.

The wing design is really wwell done and I love how the small moveing wing attaches. Also the top gun can move which is a great feature.
The it has an opebn cockpit yes and so ? The ISD had that and it looks better on the Twilight, and its easy to fill gaps Wink

I did a big pic review over at Brickhorizon if you waant to see a lot of pics. I also transformed the rear deck on a sweet bbq area Razz

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 7680: The Twilight Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
Availability: 10/10 I didn't have problems getting it, several on shelves but Lego says it's "hard to find" so grab it if you see it.

Hard To Fine by Lego means it isn't available at every retail store..but the stores that do carry it will have tons. It's a TRU exclusive, right?
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 7680: The Twilight Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
It's a TRU exclusive, right?

Yep it is, and judging with the price I doubt it will be hard to find for a long time Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Zombiesoup64
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 7680: The Twilight Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
Can they hire someone who can at least build a ship with a windshield. Idiots.

You sir are hilarious. This set is a very sad attempt at a very bland and tasteless vehicle

[quote="Rook"]Can they hire someone who can at least build a ship with a windshield. Idiots.
[/quote]
Gaia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, Lego could just pick up 4-5 fans and test some ideas:

-1 Non exclusive figs;
-2 in an expensive set;
-3 featuring an ugly ship...

...is such a missss! Every collector could have told them.

And if they asked me (though they won't) for the general SW line, I'd tell they should concentrate on small and cheap sets with juniorized vehicles and ships or playsets rather than great-but-expensive with lot of pieces and few figs BECAUSE cheap sets with cool figs are for children while expensive sets are adult collectors' business.

Anyway, big UCS sets remain great, very great, but only for those who can afford them, i.e. AFOLs.
auriga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm the only one who really liked the Podracer Bucket?

If I could get it cheap and actually had any money to afford it in the first place, this looks to be a nice target for modification into a transport, or at least a nice parts stash for the big house of plates designs I seem to be working on of late.

As far as the gaps and lack of realistic interior space, TLC has been doing that for years, so I hardly expect anything different.
Max Rebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty easy to add a floor to the interior. This makes a big difference to its 'playability' so that it can hold lots of cargo, figures or a speeder.

The lack of some kind of windscreen is a bad omission. The price is the biggest obstacle. I wouldn't be suprised to see the set heavily discounted in the new year to finally persuade the naysayers to pick it up..

Overall it is quite a solid well constructed set. If only Lego had included one extra and really desirable exclusive mini-figure I feel it might have become quite a hot item.
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 7680 The Twilight Review Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
Worst Lego Star Wars Set since the bucket set.

At least the bucket set was cheap!

End creepy minifig faces!
Darth yoda
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 7680 The Twilight Review Reply with quote

SW Fan Goosi wrote:
Rook wrote:
Worst Lego Star Wars Set since the bucket set.

At least the bucket set was cheap!

So that makes it a good set? Confused
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it was less of a waste of money.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
No, but it was less of a waste of money.

That's exactly my point.

TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that the Twilight is not bad. Not terrific, but not bad. I hope to get it for Christmas. Very Happy
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought this set looked terrible, but it's grown on me. I'm still not going to get it, but I think it looks half decent. But Ive always been a fan of those large, junky looking ships like the Falcon.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks pretty cool, but think of what else you can get for that price! My new Death Star II is a better deal.

Yesh the Gearhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this ship is a lot better than most people give it credit for.

The windshield thing really isn't a problem, seeing as how it captures the shape perfectly. You can't deny that the mechanical aspects of the ship are well designed, like the landing gear, or the red pins that fit everything together. As far as the ship's stability, I think it is quite the opposite, it seems really sturdy. you just don't pick it up by the pods that are only connected by a couple pins, you pick it up by the middle. Seeing as how the escape pod is supposed to detach, I don't see why that is a drawback. One of my personal favorite parts of the ship, is that the colors are really well situated. Sometimes there are inexplicable patches of colors on ships that don't match, but in this one, there is a solid chunk of dark grey, solid patches of earth orange, and other stripes. I think they did this well, as it really captures the solid colors that the animated style would use.

The real issue with it is the expense of the set. It should be around 80 or 90 bucks for it to match the 10 cent price to part ratio. So it is definitely not the right price, but if you can snag it at a discount, I think this set has a lot more to offer than most people think. For a kid, I think this set has a lot more appeal, obviously. And However you spin it, Lego is a child's toy. There are lots of play features here (like the missile launcher, the clever door mechanism, the S-foils, the opening cockpit, the escape pod, the winch, and the fact that it is pretty swooshable for a clunker). If it isn't spot on, then just deal with it. Especially since, well you know, it's Lego, and you can fix it however you want.

And do you really think the AT-ST and the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel were both better than this set?

Of course, you can think however you want. Everyone has their own opinion.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesh the Gearhead wrote:
A really long post about how the Twilight isn't so bad that TK didn't feel like quoting.

Yeah, you have several good points. I got this set for Christmas, and it is actually one of my favorites now. If you grab it in the center, you can swoosh it pretty well. Also, as Yesh said, the windshield isn't much of a problem.

One more thing about the Twilight. It, as WookieWarrior9 said in July, definately reminds me of the Falcon. I like the "old freighter that was upgraded" bit.

I just have to disagree with almost everyone else here:

IMO, This is not a bad set
gigglestick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of the first sets I picked up as well. I liked it in the movie. (Yes, I enjoyed the movie.)

I found that it was a bit overpriced and that the lack of a floor hampered it's playability, but then again, I feel that a lot of the sets ned a little tweak to make them more playable. I acutally liked the fact that with an easy modification to the engine pod, this thing opened from 4 sides, which left lots of room to add features and interior gubbins.

Overall, this was a fun set to build, though, and it wasn't difficult, despite all of the moving parts. I agree that we have enough creepy Anakin figures, but who else would you put with this set? You pretty muchhave to have Anakin/ Ashoka/ R2/ Rotta...

Maybe a few generic clone troopers (from the rescue episode of the TV series?) would have been welcome. Or the evil asassin droid from the movie...

OK, so any set you have to modify isnt a great set. But I'd give it a 6.
kevblee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this ship does not deserve all the negative comments. I just finished mine, and it was a fun build. Customizing it shouldn't be too bad. I have already added cockpit glass to mine, and filled in a couple of gaps. I do plan to enlarge it, add the lower boarding ramp and increase the hull size to hold Anakin's starfighter as seen in the series. It reminds me of the Falcon I guess....not by looks obviously, but by characteristics. Yeah it's clunky looking....that was by design.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: