FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A friendly "what are your" public service reminder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: A friendly "what are your" public service reminder Reply with quote

It's that time of year again, when people have too much time on their hands and hit FBTB. That's perfectly fine, but I'd like to remind everyone that the last thing we need is a downpour of junk threads. that includes things of the nature of "what are your..." "what do you..." and "what does this look like to you."

We're not saying that we're going to approve what you post, but think it out before you chuck up a new thread. If you put something long and well-thought-out up (see some of the good threads we've had lately), it's chance of life is quite high. If you just post a couple of sentences, we'll kill it and then laugh at you.

So please... don't say meekrob.
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're refering to what I think you're refering to, then I'm sorry.
Thunder-Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this was directed at YOU personally... but I guess it includes your topic...
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meekrob!

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause if it is, I don't see what I did wrong. But if Don Solo thought something was wrong, then thats fine by me.

*and he undoubtedly would since he thinks he runs this place
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:

and he undoubtedly would since he thinks he runs this place

Oooooh, deep burn.

Wink
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
Cause if it is, I don't see what I did wrong. But if Don Solo thought something was wrong, then thats fine by me.

First off, let it go. Seriously. No one feels sorry for you, and not everything is about you. Second, those types of threads have been tried before, including ones pretty much the exact same thing you posted, and were just spam fest, and stupid. Yeah, you may say "but mine will be different", and you would be wrong. They aren't wanted here, and that's all there is to it. The staff came to that decision last year, and have been enforcing it ever since.
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's curious that a "No forum games" clause never made it into the CoC. It's been a longstanding rule around here. And your snippy remark against Don is not going to help your case Dalek. Don is a moderator, you broke the rules. He DOES run the place.

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that no one on the staff has any issues in banning someone because it either a) tickles our fancy or b) said member directly attacks one of the staff, so I'd watch that fine line.

And we're open to having games, so long as they don't suck. It's just that all of them have sucked, epically sucked, in fact, yours sucked so bad it could cause cancer and 3rd degree burns. But don't worry, we won't make fun of your hair.

This is a discussion board, and that's what we want. Dumb little meme games aren't discussions, they're just pointless, at very best, and they add nothing to the forum. Sure, they get a few posts, but at what point? By the time you exit the thread, you've forgotten about it. And that makes it a waste of precious internet ether. That stuff doesn't grow on trees.
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's overlooking the most obvious point:

At least four staff members, myself included, are junior members of the Evil League of Evil and gain great pleasure from arbitrarily locking threads and making people feel bad. It's the only logical explanation for why certain things happen on the forums. Definitely not because it's forum policy.

---

Even though it's completely unnecessary and I don't think the staff needs to defend it's decisions, let me tell you an exact instance of why game threads, ESPECIALLY 'Make A Story' threads, are frowned on.

We had a 'Make A Story' thread three or four years ago in which members made a story using FBTB members. All was well and good until:

Half the members immediately went supernova Mary Sue/Marty Stu and became inscrutable Westley Crusher gods, which caused virtually everyone else to groan at their lame attempts to be creative, causing much trolling...

And the other half of members started making other characters in the story (namely, other people on the forums) do things that they didn't like or felt was untrue. This made them upset as well, and it turned into a giant flamefest.

Sprinkle on top the fact that it ended up being 20 pages long which NOBODY BOTHERED TO READ and just aimlessly posted whatever, and you had a recipe for a really junk thread.

There seems to be an impression on the forum that there's no such thing as 'fun topics' in the Community. Which isn't true. There's just not a lot of 'fun topics' that are smart enough to stick around. Heck, about a month ago I made a topic where I crudely doodled anybody who asked for it. The point was, it was actually fun and ended up bringing responses that clearly took some degree of time and thought rather than 'I'll do what I can in fifteen seconds, then post and forget it'.

As far as the staff being snarky, if it happens, it gets dealt with. We're generally a fairly sarcastic forum at large, but if anything is deemed a little too hostile or out of character in terms of staff behavior, it'll be privately dealt with. But non-staff members trying to snipe back snarky comments doesn't help anybody, especially them.
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my defense Don could of replied with a nicer tone. His remark left me feeling bitter and upset. And I'm not pleading for sympathy. I'm just saying that if he thought it was wrong, he could of told me in a more friendly way. And as to my other comment, well I'm just pointing out that it is not don's site, it belongs to whoever pays for domains and servers. Perhaps if everyone was treated with less of the sarcasim or ganging up attitude that I have seen happening a lot lately to new members, than maybe FBTB would become a more popular, well natured place, with members who feel happy to post interesting, useful and contributing comments.
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, let it go. No one cares.
Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
Well in my defense Don could of replied with a nicer tone.

Could have, but didn't.
Quote:
His remark left me feeling bitter and upset.

Oh well, but you know, he was following the rules of your thread.
Quote:
And I'm not pleading for sympathy.

Kinda sounds like you are.
Quote:
I'm just saying that if he thought it was wrong, he could of told me in a more friendly way.

Again, could have, but didn't. It's just Don's way.
Quote:
And as to my other comment, well I'm just pointing out that it is not don's site, it belongs to whoever pays for domains and servers.

Well, Ace is hardly ever here, has a few problems at the moment, so him getting to FBTB is not currently his highest priority. Don is a Moderator on these forums and is just trying to help clean up a bit. He's also slightly delusional, so if he wants to think he runs the place, it's fine by us**
Quote:
Perhaps if everyone was treated with less of the sarcasm or ganging up attitude that I have seen happening a lot lately to new members, than maybe FBTB would become a more popular, well natured place, with members who feel happy to post interesting, useful and contributing comments.

People have always been sarcastic around here. No body is ganging up. The whole Cabbage Patch thing was a sort of in joke, it's no big deal, it's over, it was all in jest, no one cares any more.
FBTB is the most popular LEGO Star Wars website there is, it couldn't be more well natured, and we are a happy bunch, have you not heard of Mike.
And the rest of us do. The problem was that your post was neither interesting, useful or contributory.

** Wink
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^5 dude. You said it all. Now, how about we all hug, make up, and let this thread go back to being the friendly public service reminder it was intended to be...my thoughts Wink .
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
he could of told me in a more friendly way.

Well, he is an "Obstinate Jerk", after all. Wink
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
blah blah blah ganging up attitude blah blah

The Rest of the Forum wrote:
OMG UR DUM STFU

Heh.
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the staff, if any member hypothetically does something wrong, it's dealt with behind the scenes. It's truly nobody's business either way, and we'll keep it as such.

That said, this thread's drifting towards flaming, and the only flames I like are the sweet-patootie ones on my car.
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin you're dumb for not letting us do this. You are a horrible person for that Razz

I kid, I kid.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, I'll let it go. Smile
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO LET GO OF YOUR BRAIIIINNNN

/me bites Dalek Cann
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERITWASYOUERRRRR
snglhhg;jsdnh;san

BRAINZ!!! [size=50]BRAINZ!!![/size]
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...urrrr?
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZOMBIE CAN'T USE PC! ERYHRTH!
CloneZomberor
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me blasts Dalek Zombie in the face at close range with his Jackhammer.

(ΞΞΞΞΞ)><@><||(=======================================
copyrrrrr
Undead!

/me roundhouse kicks Dalek Zombie in head
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fullmetalfan

/me throws a Axe at Dalek Zombie's head.
mammymarf

/me shoots Dalek Zombie in the head with AK-47

Last edited by mammymarf on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Z
Undead!

/me headshots Dalek Zombie with Big C Blasts!

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZOMBIE ATTEMPT TO EAT YOU. ZOMBIE FAIL

In his final moments, DALEK ZOMBIE turns poetic - for a zombie at least.

"What a shame, I was only a zombie for an hour."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: