FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (Exclusive Anniversary Ed)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: 8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (Exclusive Anniversary Ed) Reply with quote

OMG it Rocks!Wink

Christmas came early at our local Toys R Us. I picked this set up today and built it when I got home.

The Box:
Love the throwback/retro graphics on the box. But on closer inspection, all the character ‘toons have been updated. Perhaps Greg H. worked some of his magic on that one?
The front and sides feature a fairly neat 10 year anniversary circular logo with Vader drawn in the now famous “black chrome” that we are hearing about from Europe. Exclusive Anniversary Edition is written in the red border on the bottom.
I also like the retro sized box instead of the flat ones we've been getting lately. Exactly the same size as the 7140 X-wing box from 1999.
One unusual thing is that while this box has the taped down flaps that we’ve gotten used to over the past couple years, there are no tab and slot cut outs to keep it closed. The end of the box simply flaps around once you open it.
Also, since we are talking about retro touches, it would have been nice if they tossed in a tray to build from like in the 1999 sets. But I guess those days are long gone…

The Pieces:
251 Pieces for $29.99 is pretty standard these days. Lots of large parts including the large ¼ circle parts we’ve seen in a few other sets recently.
No printed parts are contained in the set. (EDIT: Oops! I forgot about the printed 1 x 2 computer tile.) Instead it comes with a small sticker sheet to cover 4 different 2 x 2 tiles. One nice thing about the stickers is that they are a completely new graphic design different from the usual Imperial stickers. Not sure if Lego is starting a precedence with the new stickers, but I would not mind seeing them again.
We also get the usual printed TIE window shell and radar dish for the top. There is only a single computer tile attached to the floor for a control surface (not even a plain 2 x 4 brick to raise it up). Seems that Lego really wasn't trying with that one.
Another nice addition is 2 each of the regular and inverted 4 x 4 triple wedges. We haven’t seen those in a star wars set in a while.
The biggest disappointment is the light saber hilt. It’s not chrome. Instead it is painted silver like the IG-88 droid and some of the 1 x 1 round plates from a few years ago. I predict the silver paint will rub off after a few uses.

The Build:
The build was pretty straightforward. I’m glad it was a bit different from the past model TIE fighters. But then again, there are only so many possible ways to get it done. The wing sections are exactly like past models, but with grey accents.
The model is built in 4 sections (plus the 2 wings for a total of 6) that snap together with technic pins, but are then re-enforced with plates for stability.
The construction using the wedges is a bit confusing at first. There seem to be some missing parts, but it all ends up working out in the end. The large 1/4 circle parts reduce the complexity but pay off by making the model look pretty good. There are also two flick fire missiles that have technic firing mechanisms contained in a separate section.

Minifigures:
Darth Vader has the new printing from the 10188 Death Star set. Love the new details on the body. No black chrome figures. Crying or Very sad Perhaps we, in the US, will be getting a chance at a black chrome Vader later in the year.

Model:
If you haven’t figured it out by the pictures, the TIE looks great with the new gray accents. It seems a bit more compact than previous incarnations of the TIE advanced. I need to dig out some old sets for comparison. In the meantime, get yer swooshing arms ready, this one has huge potential! The model is very stable once it's built.
The missile shooting levers work fairly well, but still only shot the missiles a few inches. It’s also well integrated into the model. In an odd twist I like, the missiles have black 1 x 1 round plate tips instead of the usual trans-red cones. It blends in better with the finished model and almost gives a stealth appearance.
The cockpit hinge mechanism is well integrated into the model and seems to be much sturdier than previous TIE fighters.
Darth Vader’s light saber clips to the bottom of the model for convenient storage.
There is also a brief attempt at greebles on the rear deck for a nice finishing touch.

So here’s the ratings:

PARTS: 8/10
for having an updated variety in a TIE set
MINIFIGS: 7/10 since the new Vader Rocks, but there is only one fig in this set where previous TIES had two.
DETAIL: 9/10 because this set has the most detail of any previous non-UCS TIE
PLAYABILITY: 10/10 Very swooshable with some other great features.
PRICE/VALUE: 8/10 Typical for Lego lately, but not outstanding.
OVERALL: 9/10 It’s a great set, but not perfect. I would recommend this to a friend or a member at FBTB.

Pictures will be coming as soon as I can dig out my camera...

Last edited by Darth's Zombie on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only $30 for this set? Was expecting it to be more, not too bad Very Happy Great review, maybe I'll pick this one up too Smile
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome review Very Happy . Although I do have the 10131 Tie Collection with Vader's Blue and Black Tie Advanced, this set looks amazing, and it's a Anniversary Edition. I will definately pick this set up when I can find one.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably one of the only sets of next year's lineup that I will really want to get (since it's not Clone Wars)

Nice Review, and you lucky bum for finding this set early Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
This is probably one of the only sets of next year's lineup that I will really want to get (since it's not Clone Wars)

Nice Review, and you lucky bum for finding this set early Razz

I agree with what DD said. I went to my TRU yesturday and there wasn't even a spot for it. Good review, and yes, I wish there was another fig, but I think that the new Vader almost makes up for it.
Rook
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set Review # 8017: Darth Vader's TIE Fighter

Lego.com Info:

NOT ON LEGO.COM yet. :Wah:

My Opinion:
(WARNING: I specialize in ship building so I’m very hard on TLC.)

Cons:
OMG! Look it's Vader AGAIN! That's like the 15th set that has him! Back of the ship is squared off a little and looks like it has no engine.

Pros:
This TIE actually looks like the color of the ones from the movies. Blue TIEs! Did anyone see a blue TIE in EP 4-6? Well here's the break down. Easy build, new stickers, new light saber hilt color, 2 flick fire missiles (You'll shoot your eye out!), & 2 large 1/4 circle molded pieces (that have to be good for something).

Parts: 8/10
Minifigures: 4/10
Detail: 7/10
Playability: 10/10
Price to parts: 8/10
Availability: 6/10 (Hard to find right now.)
Swoosh ability: 8/10
Overall rating: 9/10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
Blue TIEs! Did anyone see a blue TIE in EP 4-6?

Well, blue-ish. Great review! Thanks!
JohnGreenArt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always sort of hoping when they started doing TIEs again that they'd do them in sand blue. But the gray fits Vader's ship better anyway.

As for the illustrated character logo, since they updated it, why did they keep the characters yellow?
lordvader208

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Finally a TIE advanced that's not UCS and is actually fairly accurate in shape. The old one looks like crap compared to this one, and I like the grey that is used in place of blue. I guess Lego learned something when they made the UCS TIE Advanced. Kinda reminds me how Lego changed the snowspeeder, Y-wing, X-wing, A-wing, and etc from grey to white. I actually thought grey looked better and more movie accurate because the ships in the movie don't look white at all (or have I not been looking closely enough)

I hope to pick this one up sometime because I don't have a TIE advanced yet. New vader torso makes me happy. Very Happy

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lordvader208
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
El Jefe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this set. The grey looks a lot better then the blue on this ship. For some reason, I don't think grey would look as good on the other TIE models.
Darth Pityles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the TIEs were planned to be straight blue, but limitations in bluescreen meant they had to be made gray (The same with the X-wing being red--in the novelization it was "Blue Squadron".). You'll notice that TIE bomber is blueish--as advances in computer effects were made, the TIEs became more blue. But LEGO's TIEs were made blue as per creative license.

In some ways, the grey sucks because all it matches is the UCS.

If you are a Christian, put this in your signature :><>

It's Lego, NOT LEGOs!
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that there is only one instruction book.
The grey looks interesting. I built so many blue Tie Fighter in the last 4 years, it's a nice change Wink

FlickrBrickshelf
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this set up today and have to agree with the review: This is a very nice set. It didn't take very long for me to build, as its assembly was very straight forward. The only thing that bothered me was the price. For 251 pcs, this should have been $25 instead of $30, but hey, at least I'm not Canadian. Oh, and I'm glad I don't have to pay Canadian prices either. Wink

One thing that I felt should have been mentioned were the new 1x2 plates with the clip on the end pieces. With this piece combined with this piece released last year, we finally have suitable replacements for the old and discontinued finger-hinges. (No, the click hinges are NOT suitable replacements for said parts. Those parts allowed for a much larger range of motion which is now possible again.)
lordvader208

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you think about it, 251 pieces for $30 is actually not that bad. Consider the TIE Bomber set released many years ago. It's also a TIE ship, but had fewer pieces than this new TIE advanced. The price of that was also $30, so to me, it seems like a reasonable price for this new one.

I do have the old TIE Bomber and I must say that it was worth the $30. This new Vader's TIE looks even better, IMO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, $30 for this set isn't bad. Now if it was $40 or more, that is getting too much.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
lordvader208

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already two sets that are getting too much: those two being the ahsoka's starfighter and vulture droid and count dooku's solar sailer. The AAT is close, but the minifigs are nice

I think that this is probably one of the best value sets that has come out this year (not counting the battle packs) The other set I can think of is the republic attack shuttle. And strangely enough, there is still no Star Wars set that has come out in 2009 that exceeds the 10 cents per piece ratio.

But anyways, enough about the prices, I just think this set is so nice. It looks more movie-accurate than before, and I like the use of grey than blue.

Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it last night, nice, fun build and for once it's not blue. Price seems pretty reasonable, and it's availability is ok. About 6 of them at Wal-Mart. One thing I don't like, is the wings wobble just like the old ones.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: