FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Basics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> FBTB FAQs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denise
Herder of Cats [VET]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: The Basics Reply with quote

From Bricks to Bothans Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated: Sept. 3, 2007

This FAQ is not to be copied, reproduced or modified in any way without the express permission of FBTB and the FBTB Forums. This document was originally authored by Austin way back in the day.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Beginner Questions:
1. Where am I?
2. How do I join?
3. How do I get that little picture/lightsaber right underneath my name? *
4. How do I get that bigger picture below my name? *
5. Hey, cool, I want a custom title! How do I get one?
6. I want a signature… how do I get one, and what’s a reasonable size? *
7. I’m all decked out; where should I post first?
8. I see you guys all have a lot of LEGO! Where do you host your pictures of them?
9. Where did you get all those LEGO?
10. Are there some general posting rules I should know about?
11. How do I… Link to a website in a post? Show off an image? Are there any limits to what I can/can’t link to/show?
12. Who are the moderators and what can they do to me?
13. I said something silly… is there any way I can change what I said? *
14. How can I get the most out of my FBTB experience?
15. I still have a question… where can I go for additional help? *

Advanced Questions:
1. What's with all the trouts and flounders?
2. AFOL AWOL? What does it all mean?
3. Why does it seem like I don’t always ‘get’ some of the jokes?
4. I’ve been hearing about FBTBCNN, the FBTB Forum Awards and the FBTB Mayoral Election… what is all this stuff?
5. How do I change my font color and size?
6. What does my Inbox do, and how do I check it? *
7. How do I go about trading on the B/S/T forum?
8. Who are the good members to trade with?

* These topics are also covered in the phpBB FAQ.

BEGINNER QUESTIONS:

1. Where am I?
Why, you've stumbled upon the From Bricks to Bothans Forums, one of
the largest Star Wars LEGO-based communities on the internet! Although
FBTB's main focus is on Star Wars LEGO, we welcome you to post and show any of your other LEGO creations! So come on, show us what you've got!

2. How do I join?
Easy! Click the 'Register' link near the upper-right corner of the screen, and then fill in your information! Membership is self-activated and can no longer be done using "freemail" services like Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail, unfortunately, but don't let that startle you - the only reason it's in place is to discourage spammers or multiple accounts.

3. How do I get that little picture/lightsaber right underneath my name?
The little picture directly underneath a member's name (like the row of Pac-man characters under Pac-man's name) is an indication that the poster is either an Administrator or a Moderator. It's our way, along with custom avatars, of designating moderators and administrators. Most of them also have custom titles underneath their name (Denise has 'Herder of Cats', for example) rather than just the 'Moderator' or 'Administrator' title.

4. How do I get that bigger picture below my name?
That picture's called an 'avatar', and there's a simple way to get one. Once you've registered, you'll have new options near the upper-right of the page. One of these is 'Profile'; click it. Here you can edit all your member information, but in the case of avatars, scroll to the bottom of the page. There it says 'Avatar control panel' -- click the button that says 'Show gallery'. From there, you can visit one of four themes: Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Comics or Movies. Choose the avatar that best fits you, then click 'Select Avatar'. When you're returned to the Profile page, then click 'Submit' and voila, you have an avatar!

5. Hey, cool, I want a custom title! How do I get one?
Hold on, slow down. Custom titles are very special and aren't handed out all that often. There is no set-in-stone way to get a custom title; most members who have titles received them completely at random. The best thing you can do is to just be yourself. The more an Administrator gets to really know you, the better your chances that they may one day assign you a title based off your personality.

6. I want a signature… how do I get one, and what’s a reasonable size?
Just as you did to get your avatar, click the 'Profile' button and scroll to the relative middle of the page. There, where it says 'Signature', is an empty block of space. Whatever you type or insert there becomes your signature. Also, phpbb (our board) automatically inserts a heavy line above whatever you insert for your signature, just so we can tell
what's a post and what's a sig. For help on inserting links or images into your signature, please read here: phpBB FAQs. As for size, there is a 255 character limit on your signature. That basically means that yes, you can have text or a small image in your signature, but no, we don't want to read your life story or your manifesto every time you post. As I mentioned, small images (234 wide x 60 tall maximum, in pixels) are alright for signatures, but don't make them too large and gaudy. Also, we'll usually allow you discreet links in your sig to other sites, but usually not other forums. FBTB is a family forum, so we don't want you linking off to places we're not too sure about.

7. I’m all decked out; where should I post first?
Excellent. The best first place to post is in the 'Hello! My name is...' forum. Start a new topic introducing yourself, and maybe reply to other people's topics introducing themselves. After that, the sky's the limit! A good place to get to know other members is the Community forum; just don't go too overboard with posting. Getting to know people takes time, after all!

8. I see you guys all have a lot of LEGO! Where do you host your pictures of them?
If you'd like to host pictures of LEGO (and LEGO alone) online, try out
Brickshelf or Flickr. Their accounts are free, and allow you to upload and host all the pictures of your LEGO as you want. Also, as a relative rule, it's not a good idea to upload pictures of other people's LEGO into your own account without explicitly stating that they don't belong to you.

9. Where did you get all those LEGO?
Years of collecting. However, if you're looking for a certain part or piece to add to your LEGO collection, try BrickLink. It's a sort of online marketplace by LEGO fans for LEGO fans where you can look up and possibly even buy LEGO parts. Not sure of the name of the part you need? Check Peeron, an online LEGO inventory where you can look up names or pictures of almost any LEGO part!

10. Are there some general posting rules I should know about?
Not really, as long as you keep this in mind: FBTB is a friendly, family-oriented Community. We don't allow profanity, hateful or explicit posts, or anything like that. Be sure to read the Code of Conduct for clarification. Other than that, the best rule around here is 'Do
Unto Other As You Would Have Them Do Unto You'. Be nice to everyone else, and everyone else will be nice to you... it's as simple as that!

11. How do I… Link to a website in a post? Show off an image? Are there limits to what I can/can’t link to/show?
Link to a website in a post:
Just type the name of the website, or, if you're Mr. Fancypants, click the 'URL' button.
Show an image:
Click the 'Img' button, type in the address of the image, and then click the 'Img' button again to close the tag. REMEMBER, if you're going to use any posting functions such as bolding, linking, underlining, etc., you have to have a 'tag' at the beginning AND the end. This is called 'closing the tag'.

12. Who are the moderators and what can they do to me?
This can best be answered by Jedi Master BJ in an older topic 'FBTB Moderators'... let me repost his article (changing a few things, though, to make them relevant since the ezBoard switch):

Jedi Master BJ wrote:

"Here is a list of the Moderators, and a few who are even higher on the chain of command:

onions (Administrator)
Denise (Administrator)
Chief (Administrator)
Count Blockula (Administrator)
Austin
Cello Collin
Duchessa
DonSolo
dWhisper
copyright (B/S/T/F only)
Kaminoan (Minifig MOCs only)

The Administrators (Denise & Ace) run the entire site and are above Moderators, and have even more control over the forums. For example, they have the power to ban people. They are the final word -- the legislative, executive and judicial branches all rolled into one. (Well, rolled into two, anyway.)

You should be aware that there are other "staff members" of FBTB, like Josh who handles the customs, and others who report news to FBTB's main page. Check out the FBTB Staff Page.

- What powers do the Moderators have?

Moderators have the ability to edit or delete posts from other members,
delete/lock/unlock threads, and move entire threads from one FBTB Forum to another. They can also split topics, if a thread takes off in an unexpected direction, and create a new thread. (They cannot move a single post from one thread to another, however.)

Moderators can't ban people, but can recommend members for banning to Denise or Ace. Banning isn't done arbitrarily, and Moderators must provide examples of misconduct. Nobody has EVER been banned solely for disliking/disagreeing with a Moderator.

One of the Moderator's most useful "powers" is their influence. Moderators are long-standing members that are well respected by most of the community. They do their best to inform people of the rules and appropriate behavior and give as many warnings as is reasonable.

- What are the responsibilities of the Moderators?

Moderators use their powers and skills to keep FBTB a family-friendly site and enforce the FBTB Code of Conduct.

They edit out profanity and other inappropriate statements, move misplaced threads to the proper forums, and lock threads that are no longer needed or that have turned too negative.

Moderators also moderate discussions and arguments that get out of hand. Not everything can be solved by locking a thread.

- What are the benefits of being a Moderator?

None.

It's a very difficult job, and there's no handbook to turn to for advice. Moderators aren't paid, and don't receive any special perks from FBTB. They are also held to a higher standard than everyone else, so if they screw up, everyone feels compelled to tell them about it immediately.

- Are Moderators allowed to express opinions?

Yes. This has been discussed several times in the past, and the general consensus of FBTB Members has always been that Moderators are allowed to participate in controversial threads.

Most of the time Moderators are just regular FBTB Members. Treat them as such. They only put on their "Moderator Hats" when we detect a problem, or a potential problem.

- What about these people who aren't Mods, but act like it?

A few veteran members will sometimes step in to offer advice and explain FBTB's rules to other members. (They know who they are.) Moderators aren't online 24 hours a day, and we find this helpful, as long as it's done in a friendly manner. Think of it as "members helping members."

So if a regular member asks you to tone down your language, or tells you that you've posted in the wrong forum, don't get defensive or say "Shut up! You're not a Moderator!" They're just trying to help you out.

Everyone else should try to let the Moderators do their job. If you detect a problem, or even a potential problem, send a private message to one of the Moderators, and we'll handle it as quickly as we can.

- What if I have a complaint about a Moderator, or any other member?

If you ever have questions, comments, or complaints about ANYTHING at FBTB, you are always free to contact any of the Mods or Denise via a Private Message. The forum staff will respond to you as quickly as we can, but remember that FBTB isn't a full-time job, and it might take a few days.

The forum staff does NOT mediate financial disputes in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum. All transactions are done at your own risk.

Any complaints about another FBTB member should include as much evidence as possible, with links to threads with inappropriate behavior. The staff take accusations seriously, and you should take them seriously as well.

If you ever have a problem with a Moderator, or feel that one has stepped over the line, you can contact Denise directly to discuss it. Again, be prepared to provide evidence. (Denise's email address: fbtbforumadmin AT gmail DOT com)

13. I said something silly… is there any way I can change what I said?
Below your post is a button listing 'edit'. Click that and you can change what was originally posted in that spot. If nobody has posted after you, your changes will be made unnoticed... if someone has, however, it will list when you edited your post and how many times you have. All in all, feel free to edit your post for spelling or syntax... it's just generally not
a good idea to completely remove something if people have posted after you in response to your post; it throws the entire topic out of whack to hear members referring to a post that you've since moved/deleted/changed.

14. How can I get the most out of my FBTB experience?
Post everywhere. Get involved with members. The sooner you get to become friends with the other members, the sooner you'll begin to really enjoy all that the FBTB Community has to offer!

15. I still have a question… where can I go for additional help?
PM an Administrator, a Moderator or even a member of the Community you find to be particularly friendly (the PM button is listed below every post of every member... it's just a matter of clicking the right one for the right person). Everyone's here to have a good time, so if you need help, just ask and someone shall answer!

ADVANCED QUESTIONS:

1. What's with all the trouts, Tony Danzas and such?
Trouts, Tony Danzas and waffles are all part of the unique spirit of the FBTB community. They're inside jokes, but as long as you pay attention and stick around long enough, you'll probably find out the reasoning behind the madness.

2. AFOL AWOL? What does it all mean?
LEGO abbreviations. Not everyone uses them, and so sometimes things can get confusing. Here's a handy, dandy chart of some of the most common ones found on the boards:

AFOL: Adult Fan Of LEGO
CAD: Computer-Aided Design
ISD: Imperial Star Destroyer
KFOL: Kid Fan Of LEGO
:D/:D/ROFLMBO/FOLMBAO: Laughter, in it's various forms
LUGNET: LEGO user Group Network
MOC: My Own Creation
MLCAD: Mike's LEGO Computer-Aided Design
RBR: Rebel Blockade Runner
SNOT: Studs Not On Top
SW: Star Wars
TLG: The LEGO Group
UBS: Ultimate Builders Set

3. Why does it seem like I don’t always ‘get’ some of the jokes?
What you're referring to is called an 'inside joke'... something that started a long time ago and most likely will never end or leave the collective consciousness. If you're new, these can be especially confusing, but just roll with it and eventually you'll be able to piece together enough information to understand what's going on. If you're still in the dark, though, just ask. We're more than glad to help confu- err, explain these jokes to you.

4.I’ve been hearing about FBTBCNN, the FBTB Forum Awards and the FBTB Mayoral Election… what is all this stuff?
FBTBCNN is Darth Duck's FBTB news broadcast, the FBTB Forum Awards are a yearly event to vote on 'The Best of...' from the last year, and the FBTB Mayoral Election is a little slice of craziness that occurs every so often where a FBTB Mayor is elected (or, in the case of the first ever election, two Co-Mayors {Austin and Darth Sillyus}). Just stay tuned... when these events are upcoming, you'll know.

5. How do I change my font color and size?
When posting, highlight the text you want to change and then do so with the 'Font Color' and 'Font Size' options directly above where you type. You can't miss them, I promise.

6. What does my Inbox do, and how do I check it?
It's a place for members to communicate with you without sending it to your e-mail address. If you send a PM, it ends up in their Inbox. If you receive one, you'll receive a notification near the upper-right of the page saying something along the lines of 'You have (__) new messages'. To access your Inbox, click where it says either 'You have no new messages' or 'You have (__) new messages'.

7. How do I go about trading on the B/S/T forum?
As a general rule of thumb, it's good to become known in the community before you start to use the B/S/T forum. That way, people know they're trading with someone reliable who they have seen around. Other than that, just look through the listings in the forums, and if something sounds good, either reply or send the seller a PM. The exchange of money or goods takes place through PM or e-mail, not through posting. For a more detailed overview, read the Buy/Sell/Trade Guidelines and remember that FBTB does not 'moderate' or 'cover' any trade.

8. Who are the good members to trade with?
Although we like to think everyone on the forums is a 'good member' to trade with, a fine way to find out is to check the Straight Shooter's List. Here is a list, complied by members, of who they've traded with and if they were agreeable to work with. Remember, the list is kept by members and run by experience, so if you've traded with a member not on the list who deserves to be, nominate them!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> FBTB FAQs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum