FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When your going into a Darkage...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NIGHTMARE
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: When your going into a Darkage... Reply with quote

Lately I haven't been on here because I think I'm starting to go through a Dark age. My Lego building has been slacking, everything I try to make looks like junk nowadays, and my grades are starting to drop. The thing is, I don't want to stop loving and building Lego. Any advice to "get back on my feet"? I would like to know how some of you came from/almost went into a dark age.

This may sound like a cheesy topic, but I need some advice.

Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grades are slipping. That's the key thing in your post. You can't sacrifice schoolwork for LEGO.

To me, it sounds like your busy and are trying to do loads of things at once, hence sub-standard building. I suggest you take a step back and prioritise, putting schoolwork at the top, then work your way down. I have an Xbox 360 and at first I found myself spending little time on work and loads on that. I've played it little due to revision and plan to continue in this fashion. You need to do something similar - get everything in a balance and then work to that.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your FBTB join date doesn't necessarily reflect how long you've been into LEGO, but the fact that you just joined a month ago and you're saying you "haven't been on here lately" suggests to me that some perspective is in order.

Just because you have other priorities or because you've had a week-long lapse in rabid LEGO fandom doesn't mean you're necessarily entering a dark age...and nobody has to enter a dark age if they don't want to (unless we're talking geographic isolation from your collection). Balance of your hobby with the rest of your life is key and your level of activity in regard to LEGO may fluctuate. That doesn't mean it's going away.

As for building nothing but junk, you have a couple of options. Either keep building or look to the net for some constructive criticism. If you're not satisfied with your own work, keep at it. If you get fed up with a project, start over or set it aside until you're ready to come back to it. Post your creation on Flickr or Brickshelf and ask folks for help. You've got lots of options there, the main thing is to just not settle for something you're unhappy with.
PJcountach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mini robot a day keeps the dark age away.

give yourself a goal of taking five pieces and making something intersting with them, if you like it but feel something is missing add another piece. A model isn't built all at once, it is the compilation of cool little ideas for piece use that are brought together with filler bricks to compose the whole.

If you don't have a lot of time but you want to keep going just build something small like one of these.
Total parts usage 12 Time spent on it 5 minutes.
One of the biggest problems I face when building a model is time and disorganization. Organize...don't spend an hour you'll never get back looking for just one piece you may or may not use. sort and seperate parts so that they are ready at your fingertips, this is the best trick to giving wing to your imagination.

Also, if you want to work with your Lego's but don't have any idea's watch a movie and sort the parts, maybe you will see something to try and build with your parts, and as you sort them you get a better feel for what parts are ready and available.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: