FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7658 Y-Wing Fighter Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: 7658 Y-Wing Fighter Review Reply with quote

Hi all just got this today and I just finished building it. As I also have the older y-wing I can do a comparison between the 2 but there is not much difference in size or look. The only real difference is the greebling that was put into the new one. Also the missles are sort of redundent without a way of actually getting them to fire. The bomb bay which I think was an afterthought without any real consideration is atrocious. It opens on its own when you swoosh it through the air. Even though you can adjust the technic wheel as sort of a slide bar, it is an eyesore from the rear as you can see the pin and underneath it looks naked because of this. The TIE bomber had the right idea with the rubber bands system and when it was in the closed position it was all flush and it wasn't such an eyesore underneath. The pilot doesn't sit in the cockpit, he floats as there are no studs to stick his legs onto. The head room above him is just all wrong. I have actually had the canopy come off as the click hinges have push against his head and the whole mount has litterally come away. Apart from those slight misgivings the y-wing itself is nice to look at and is caked with detail. Also there are no landing sticks like the old one had. Instead it sits on a 2x3 and 2x2 slope pieces.

By the way thanks to the instructions on this I can now mod the old one so the engines are mounted properly.

detail 10/10 just awesome greebling no need to add more to it
build 10/10 pretty easy and it comes together well
price per parts, 10/10 well for $60.00 AUD you get 437 parts which is more than enough.
engine detail 10/10 I know that normally this is not done but the y-wing is known mostly for the details around the engines and engine mounts and this rendition doesn't dissapoint. plenty of greebles.
Likeness to films. 8/10 because of the missles and the bomb bay which don't do it for me and also the way the pilot sits/canopy problems.

The force is strong with this one......

Last edited by Star_wars_rules on Tue May 08, 2007 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
neutron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Y-Wing is also the newest set I've built. Was a tad of a let down when it was finished, the negatives things you mentioned definately were bothersome. Plus, the front 2 white "poles" get knocked off constantly.

As for the Pilot, if you angle his legs right, and his arms, he sits in the cockpit well. But there's nowhere to put his blaster. That alone pissed me off.

6.8/10
renegade
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented on this in another not quite related thread so I will add mine here.

Overall it is a nice set. I like the curves in the cockpit section that capture the shape better than in the original release. The guns behind the canop are better than the disporportionate guns used on the original as well. The greebling is well done and there are a ton of parts in this model, so for parts guys it is a good set.

The detractions for me are primarily the missles, the bomb section, and a lack of completeness on some sections.

The lack of completeness fals in 2 main areas. First, on the engine pods there are 3 of the 1x1 slopes on the outside edge of the pod, but they should have had the other three for the inside section as well. It looks like pieces were forgot. But the biggest one is for the bomb section. The pars are at least there to attach a rubber band to hold the bottom closed and then pull back to release so the axel isn't flopping all over the place when you swoosh. However they didn't complete it. I exchanged this piece out for one of these and ran a rubber band through the hole and wrapped it around these that were already built into the model (for what purpose if not to operate the bomb trap I don't know) The end result is a function that isn't that great (although I know why Lego puts them in) being even more funky.

One problem mentioned above was the 2 white rods on the front of the model for the guns falling off. However if you push them all the way back through the lamp piece it attaches to it is a very strong connection.

Nice set overall and one that is easy enough to mod to your wishes and good enough to warrent doing so.

In a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat, With a red right hand
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the action pic on the instructions the front cannons are shorter which indicates that they have been pushed in. There was one other thing I forgot to mention, it's not that big of a deal as it is easily modified. It's the front of the engines where the white short thing connects into the yellow round piece. On my old y-wing I have used a grey technic piece which is half the size of it and sits almost flat against the engine.

Also in regards to the pilots gun, I just put it in his lap when he is in the cockpit.

JPCJedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: set 7658 y-wing review Reply with quote

Star_wars_rules wrote:
Also there are no landing sticks like the old one had. Instead it sits on a 2x3 and 2x2 slope pieces.
Wow, that bugs me. As if the underside of the thing wasn't neglected in the original! This makes me think about getting the ILC or AT-ST first.
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it actually sits almost on the engines anyway. They did that so it was I think as close to the movie y-wings where they sat almost on the ground anyway. The underside of the original lego y-wing wasn't as bad as far as the bomb bay is concerned. It didn't have one and so the whole underside was flush. The old y-wing also used simple 2x2 studless pieces for detail, which was ok. The old one thanks to the new instructions can be upgraded as far as greebles is concerned and engine mounts\angle so it at least looks much better.

Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, how do you actually fire the missile thingies?
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flick-fire. I used a couple of technic rings that fit the shafts to lock em into the holes so they wouldn't fall out mid-swoosh.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick the pilot's gun into the technic piece that operates the bomb bay.

I was also dissapointed that the bottom of the model has absolutely no detail to it, when the top and sides are abundant with it, but since I display it
on a tabletop, the bottom is irrelevant. The pilot should have had a better face than a plain smiley, at least something with a headset. Same goes for the newer A-wing and Wedge. Also the ion cannon on top of the ship is on a swivel plate and moves far too easily, it sort of flops around. The front guns also easily fall off.

Now all that pales in comparison to just how awesome this set is. The level of detail (besides the bottom) is amazing, and when built it is HUGE! It looks great next to my custom X-Wing. I definitely recommend this set, it's one of my favorite ships and a brilliant execution.
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:

The front guns also easily fall off.

That is easy to fix, push the guns into the mounts they are on. It makes it look slimlined at the nose section as well. I will be posting pics on the modifications that I made to the rear section.

Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite looking forward to acquiring the Y-Wing if I can (it's second after the AT-ST for my favourites list earlier this year). I do hope that departmental store voucher doesn't expire soon!

><>
armbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked this set up last night and I must say this is a very good set, I was not so sure before that it would be worth the money but after building it, dang, I'm impressed! Really cool set, the Y-wing is actually bigger than I expected (I never saw the first one in person) the detail is amazing for a play set, the minifigs are alright, but frankly you buy the Y-wing set for the Y-wing.
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To alleviate the bomb and missile problem, here's what I did:

Since the bombs have small axle-pin holes in them, I simply attached them to the back of the missiles. This way, the missiles stay in place, the bombs won't inadvertantly fall out, and you can swoosh to your heart's content without having to visit bricklink.

This was actually one of my first SW sets (I only started collecting this year), and I really like it. Great set, I highly recommend it.
3ikazbi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: better than the b wing Reply with quote

neutron says it all. both weapons are poorly designed and 'flick fire' is pretty weird.

However, i feel that it is much better than the b-wing which has the most unstable landing pod and the expanding wings are very feeble. i only started collecting this year aswell and both sets set me off on the right foot.
lordvader208

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Y-Wing pilot fits in the cockpit perfectly. Just bend the legs a little and he fits. I also do not like the flick missiles and the bomb deployment because they fall out all the time. However, I think the detail is good. It may sound like the set is a good deal because it has 454 pieces, but a lot of them are small studs and technic pins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics are in. I should have posted these earlier.

Please excuse the blurryness of some of them

Overhead view
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2804927

Side on with top hatch for the bomb bay open.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2804949

Underside view with bomb bay in the closed position......
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2804959

...and in the open position
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2804937

Also due to the darkness on the back, I did actually get a rubber band system in place so it works just like the tie bomber's bomb bay. The pin moves back and bombs just drop out from the bomb bay. Also sorry about the red underside hinge. I didn't have it any other color.

Maestro Valentino5

Location: I am at this fancy thing humans call a CPU or just a computer. Wierd...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Good Set Reply with quote

I happen to like this set as well seeing that the y-wing is 1 of my favorite starships in star wars. The bombing system is pretty cool, but the flick fire missile are pretty lame. But overall it is a really great set. Go Y-Wing! Smile
Eukalyptus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this set yesterday (first bigger set). I like it a lot, fun build. I'm planning to build a custom base, to recreate this someday:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: