FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the V-19 Torrent really this big?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Is the V-19 Torrent really this big? Reply with quote

Are my calculations correct in assuming that a V-Wing is as long as the V-19 is wide? And as for the wing-span, that's giant.

What purpose is served for having such big wings? Even the ARC-170 looks deceptively small next to one of these monsters...
hatcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'd have to share your calculations in order for us to tell you if you are correct or not. Very Happy

But yeah, it looks pretty big to me, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was that big. As to the purpose, um, its supposed to look cool on tv? Beats me.

Any thoughts?
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the V-19 was developed especially for the first Clone Wars TV show, so I'm not too concerned about the V-19's purpose. It was just meant to look cool, and there'll always be a good expanded-universe answer for why it looks the way it does. My answer:

Its huge folding wings are meant to foreshadow the design of the Imperial shuttles used in EPIII, V, and VI. Since the V-wing was "rushed into production", its design suggest that big down-sloping wings are a theme in the Imperial military dating back to before the Clone Wars.

Star Wars databank and Wookieepedia quote the V-19 at "26 meters wide" (~80 feet!) but only "6 meters long" (~20 feet), while Wookiee quotes the V-wing at "7.9 meters long" (25 feet). 0_o (SW Databank does not show the V-wing's length.)

So yes, the Torrent is three times the wider than the V-wing is long, but stem to stern the ships have similar length.
The Star Wars Databank wrote:
As external licensees began exploring the action of the Clone Wars, it became clear that the Republic needed a fighter-class space ship that was faster and more maneuverable than the Republic gunship, something the clones could pilot in support of the Jedi starfighter. For this task, Lucas Licensing turned to LucasArts' Art Director, Chris Williams and Concept Artist Greg Knight.

While the Republic gunship emphasizes cargo, the [V-19] Torrent fighter is about speed, blasters and maneuverability.

Blacknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the V-19 is rather ugly and doesn't fit well with other v-shaped Republic ships. It's a relic from the first cartoon series that should not have been carried over into the second series IMO.
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding, it's beautiful! Such an elegant design, even if it is giant compared to the rest of the Republic fleet...
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it kinda wastes resources since it only has one pilot and as far as i can tell has no advantgages. Am I right in thinking this?
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really. Remember the battle of Muunilist?

Hardcore pwnage!

I foundon wookie that these can be modified to fit into hyperspace transport rings. i wouldn't know how to fit them in myself...
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
So it kinda wastes resources since it only has one pilot and as far as i can tell has no advantgages. Am I right in thinking this?
That's an interesting point, but I disagree a little. The difference reminds me of the real-life F-15 and F-16 American fighter jets. (There's a thread that makes the comparison somewhere.)

A big one-seater like the Torrent is analogous to the F-15, which was meant to be a strong, missile-hauling strike fighter with lots of range. But its size made it expensive, so the Air Force built the F-16. The F-16 is a fraction of the F-15's cost and thus can be deployed in greater numbers. The F-16's biggest weakness next to the F-15 is probably range.

In the navy, the same is true for the F-14 vs. the F-18. The F-14 was meant to be a big missile-hauling interceptor, while the smaller F-18 is meant to do both interception and bombing.

So it makes sense that the Republic would commission a big, burly fighter at the start and then make a cheaper supplementary fighter.

But, it's relevant that the Navy retired the big F-14 in favor of only F-18s. Arguably, the Empire chose to develop the V-wing into the TIE Fighter for similar reasons.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the major things is that the designers don't put actual "dimensions" when creating the vehicle, they just do what fits in with the show/scene. THe dimensions are later added in, in a sourcebook or one of those print journals/magazines. As a result, a lot of the ships (going by dimensions) are deceptively large/small in comparison to the actual ship you see in a movie or comic. I think the same problem is applicable to the V-19; it looks perfectly normal on screen (IMO) then it does by dimension calculations (26 M wide is wider than the Slave I).
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when someone finds a real V-19, they can go to the trouble of measuring and finding out if the scale is wrong. Unless somewhere the dementions are listed (My guess would be wookieepedia) some Mathemagician can work this out for us.

Vidzombie wrote:
/slurps up Kit's remaining mess.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V-19... It's like the Albatross of Republic starships... A huge wingspan, deadly spread of lasers, and sheer awesomeness...

This actually doesen't surprise me. I recently happened upon a picture of a Hasbro V-19 ship that they are making with their figure line. It was surprisingly small...

But I'm happy with the sheer glory of Lego's V-19 as it is.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: