FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recycled Storage

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Recycled Storage Reply with quote

A while back, I read a post about people from Europe using recycled milk containers to store LEGO. It was later explained that Europeans' milk containers are made from a different material than Americans' and that our milk containers wouldn't really work.

This got me thinking, "what other containers do I use that I could recycle for storage?" Personally, I'm not a big fan of buying containers from stores if I don't have to, but I do like to have my LEGO organized. I would much rather spend my money on new LEGO sets. So here are the ideas I came up with:

Frozen Juice Concentrate Containers

This was the first idea I came up with. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best.
Pros: The containers are durable, but that's about it.
Cons: The lids do not snap back on, the opening is small, making it difficult to get pieces out.
I do use them since I drink quite a bit of frozen juice, but there are better options available.

Pick-a-Brick Containers

Probably the most obvious thing to recycle.
Pros: Lids snap on nicely, two sizes available, stack nicely with stubs on the lids so that they don't easily fall.
Cons: Quite expensive compared to other options (Have to fill them up).

Chunky Soup "To Go" Containers

I discovered these in a round-about way. I was looking for an alternative to baby carrots to take to work (I'd been eating them every day for lunch for over a year) and thought I'd take a look at soups. I picked up these and later at work, initially threw them away. Then I got to thinking, these would be great for LEGO, so I fished them out of the garbage, washed them up at home, and started using them.
Pros: Durable, lids easily snap on, wide mouths allow for easy access, are stackable
Cons: Cannot see inside container without removing lid.
Note: There are several similar options such as Progressive Soup and Chef Boyardee Raviolli (in adult and children's sizes). However, I've found that the Chunky Soup's lids are the easiest to snap back on. So go fill up on some Chunky soup to get the energy you'll need to organize you're collection. Very Happy

Various Plastic Food Containers

Several food stuffs come in plastic containers. In the pictures, the containers on the left and right contained powdered juice mix (Country Time Lemonade, Kool Aid, etc...). The one on the middle left contained Cottage Cheese, and the one on the middle right contained Mayonaise.
Pros: Durable, lids easily snap on.
Cons: Limited stackablity (unless you have several of the same type), most often cannot see inside containers.

Various Glass Food Containers

From pickles to spaghetti sauce, glass containers are the alternate to plastic used by the food industry.
Pros: Can see contents without removing lid, Lids easily screw on
Cons: Can be difficult to clean (some have narrow openings), breakable (beware children and butter-fingers), very little stackabiltiy (if any)

So, FBTB, what do you think? What other containers can you come up with (I'm sure there are others I am not aware of)? Save some money, save the environment, and organize your LEGO. Let's see what we can come up with.

And for those of you who are about to tell me I should have done a search for similar threads, this thread is about recycled storage solutions and NOT about commercial storage solutions.
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a number of sizes of these:

The ones called "thread organizers" actually fit stacks of 1x2 bricks perfectly in sets of five with enough room to retrieve them easily. I've got a cabinet full of them.

I actually got very lucky, because the size I found at my A.C. Moore store fit perfectly into these plastic drawers I'd found at the Sam's Club during spring. If it hadn't turned out like this, I'd just be using those plastic drawers.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am lazy I always look for bigger storage possibilities. I prefer having one or two big boxes around me instead of 30 yogurt cups or something.
So I use empty Lego Set boxes for storage. The parts are sorted in zip locs and these are stored in the box.

FlickrBrickshelf
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something like JPC, but I think it is technically a tackle box, or five of them. Wink I just use the stacks of drawers, so the only thing I've recycled would probably be boxes from sets. Still very money efficient concept.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having on those jars on a shelf would make your LEGO room look like a mad scientist's lair, but it is a good economical idea.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's me, but "having" to fill up a PaB container doesn't strike me as a con. The fact that those lids never stay on does. Why I don't use them.

Ultimately, I don't reuse much of anything for LEGO containers. Most things that would fit the bill are too small or not conducive to storing together, and that's important to me.
BigFatZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Pringles cans. Smile Stacked nicely, but the bad thing was they were opaque.
Wait, what's a '
Z'?
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a nuts/bolts organizer for my tiny LEGO pieces. For the larger stuff I have a motely assortment of 6-20 quart tubs.

I SERIOUSLY need to go through my LEGO and resort them. It's a hodge-podge mess of junk right now.
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I was thinking of this just amoment ago.

I own about 5 large boxes, which contain variout tubs and tins of different colours. I also have some smaller draws for my more used peices.

This doesn't work. I need to reorgansise my system so that I can have colour and shape disquishable. Here are my options:

1) Lots of pullout drawers.
2) Big box full of smaller boxes.
3) Smaller boxes filled with ziplock bags/other bags.
Thunder-Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the old bionicle canisters (from the original series).

Unfortunately only the Bohrok ones are see through...
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder-blade wrote:
I use the old bionicle canisters (from the original series).

Unfortunately only the Bohrok ones are see through...

Haha, I used to do the same thing, and I stored some really rare minifigs in some Rakshi (sp?) containers and put them in my closet when I was cleaning my room, and months when by without taking them out, and I forgot about them. Then 2 years later, cleaning out my closet, I found them, opened them, and had a Christmas in July moment when I realized that I did indeed have all these awesome figs (found like, 6 Geonosians), and wasn't just hallucinating for 2 1/2 years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: