FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8014 Clone Walker Battlepack Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: 8014 Clone Walker Battlepack Review Reply with quote

This is my review of the new 2009 Clone Battlepack. My friend will help me with this review, my third.

Parts

This is a battlepack. If you're going to buy this, you're buying it for the figures, not the parts. It does, however, have a couple of rare pieces. The feet are made of a rather rare piece, which is this one, except in light bley. Other than that one, most pieces are common.

Minifigs

Now, this is what you bought this set for. Finally, a cheap way to get a lot of Episode II Clones! It contains two regular clones, a "Clone Commander," and a clone gunner. The two regular clones are just the way they are in the late 2008 sets. The "Clone Commander" is a clone wearing the special ARC gear. However, the gear is now black! IMO (and in my friend's opinion), the black gear looks better. However, I wish that the black gear had been used all along so that all my clones would match. The Clone Gunner is amazing! I know some people were hoping for a pilot, but this guy is very detailed. I like the mustard yellow color on his helmet, and there is very nice green detail.

Detail

Wellllllll, this is, again, a battlepack. Also, the vehicle does not exist in SW canon. However, LEGO makes a detailed build for its size and non-canocity.

Playability

The main playable thing here is minifigs. However, the legs are posable, though it is unstable when you re-pose the legs. This has rather good playability for a battlepack. The reason for this is that it has flick-fire missles.

Price to Parts

Although it has a fairly bad price to parts (if you follow $.10 per piece, it should be $7.20), the figures make up for it. Due to the fact that it has four minifigs, the price is made up for.

Availability

This set is supposed to be released in 2009, so it is just beginning to appear. However, at Toys r Us, there were many upon the shelves.

Overall

This is a good set. The clones are very good. The walker is also detailed and playable. This set does what it was intended to do well.

Ratings

Parts: 6/10 - The feet keep it from being much worse.
Minifigs: 9/10 - This is the reason you would buy this: the Clones
Detail: 7.5/10 - Fairly nice detail for its size, but it is a battlepack, for crying out loud.
Playability: 8/10 - The walker is playable, but when you pose it it is unstable.
Price to Parts: 7/10 - The ratio is not good, but the clones make up for it.
Availability: 8/10 - Just starting to appear, but there are lots of them in stores.
Overall: 9/10 - The clones are amazing, and the walker is nice. This set does what it needs to do.[/list]

Last edited by TK-425 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zombie Bizzle
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review I'm hopping to get a few of these soon.
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes out on lego.com, I'll get three of these. I'll use one of the walkers for spare parts (as in junk in a MOC) and keep the driver for my AT-TE.

End creepy minifig faces!
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice review, well done for a battle pack.
I'm hoping it will hit Europe soon.

FlickrBrickshelf
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW Fan Goosi wrote:
When it comes out on lego.com, I'll get three of these. I'll use one of the walkers for spare parts (as in junk in a MOC) and keep the driver for my AT-TE.

I love this battlepack. I'm definately going to get three more, for the drivers and clones. But I won't destroy the walker, and you'll see why once you get it.
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of photos?

AJay
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great review TK-425!
I got this set a few weeks ago also, but decided not to do a review. I was hoping to hear a fresh perspective from someone else.

At first, I though that the walker was almost useless. It has few details and looks like it could never be based on any real vehicle. But after thinking about the target audience, it is just perfect for the younger builder who is looking for more of a "play" experience and an easy build.

Also I would have liked a heavy trooper instead of the clone commander. But, I'm not that picky and I'll probably pick up multiples of this set. It's all about the clones baby!
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. If you have a few photos, that would be awesome, if you don't, that's ok. I plan on getting four of these...that's the number of sets I've been going with for all the battlepacks. However, I might have to get a few extra Wink .
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah obi-wan, so far i "tried" to get 10 of each of the battlepacks....i got 6 of the phase2 clone packs, 4 of the old droids one, and 4 each of the rebel and imperial ones....i'll probably pick up 2 of the assassin droids packs.

but judging by how wicked these clones look, i think it might be worth boosting the army by getting 10 of them.

AJay
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
any chance of photos?

Big Ben Kenobi wrote:
If you have a few photos, that would be awesome, if you don't, that's okay.

I'll see tomorrow if I have a camera here. If I do, I'll get a Brickshelf and post some pics.
gigglestick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up two of these (and two of the assassin droid packs) and I think it's a great value. If they had these when I was a kid (70's) I would never have gotten into the Kenner figures...

As reviewed it's nice to get some generic clones and some specialty clones. the details are nice.

And I think that the non-canon walker fits the look and feel of a Star Wars vehicle. (And I like it better than the clone walker set.) Much better than the stormtrooper vehicle.

For what it's supposed to be (4 clones for $10 plus a vehicle) I think it's a 9.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: