FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop Motion Video

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike888

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Stop Motion Video Reply with quote

Before I get 138,512 rants I would like everyone to know that my only stop motion video happened to be a commercial. It is not intended to make you join the Cabg right now, as I just would like suggestions on how to better it. (Other than the Shotty Camera work.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_PLEuZ8ic&feature=channel_page
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I told him to put it here, so before you even start, can it.

Anyways, my tips: get (or make) a stable tripod, so it doesn't twitch the camera around when you click your shutter. Make friends with your macro button, and try shooting with a clean background. And instead of the century old technique of text cards, try adding word bubbles into the pics if you don't want to con anyone into voice acting for you. Also, with the sounds, try overlapping some music with the effects instead of having one after the other... then for the MOC shots, add credit to each image so people know where to find the original creator. And never, EVAR stretch an image to meet the aspect ratio you want... If anything crop it or put two portrait pics side by side to fill in the space if you don't want any black bars surrounding it.

Those are all just off the top of my head. I haven't done stop motion since the sixth grade... Laughing I should make something with Walter.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defo get a tripod. If your stills camera can support a remote control, get one of those too.

You need to record your images on a plain background, preferably white and ideally, in a light box, or, failing that, get a set up in a room without windows so you can control the light sources and not be subject to changing light from outside.

Other than that, google lego stop motion and you'll find a lot of resources and references on how to create good effects for stop motion. Smile

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stop motion sequences! You probably know many camera techniques, but a tripod is a must. In fact, your digital camera may have even come with one! There should be a spot in the bottom of your camera to screw something in - if there is, I would ask my parents about the possibilty of a tripod cowering in fear in a drawer somewhere!

My one critique is that you just have a baseplate for the video - though it is good stop motion (quality of film could improve), it seems a bit plain.

Nice work overall!

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike888

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clonecommando007 wrote:
Nice stop motion sequences! You probably know many camera techniques, but a tripod is a must. In fact, your digital camera may have even come with one! There should be a spot in the bottom of your camera to screw something in - if there is, I would ask my parents about the possibilty of a tripod cowering in fear in a drawer somewhere!

My one critique is that you just have a baseplate for the video - though it is good stop motion (quality of film could improve), it seems a bit plain.

Nice work overall!

Well I got a baseplate from my friend (Great deal on my part) and have a large green baseplate. I have a tri-pod on my Christmas list, so I'll probably get that. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: