FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Mine in the mountains

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: A Mine in the mountains Reply with quote

This is probably the largest MOC/bignette I've ever built. It's a hugely expanded Dwarven Mine in the mountains, as the title points out.

I must confess that I only took a few pictures of the outer area. I'll describe the inside to the best of my ability.

Close up

Detail

Overview

There is a throne room of sorts which is held by an evil king who has the Dwarves mining for precious metals, which is underneath the black roof area.

Under the main platform is the mine itself. There is a river down there which trickles out into a waterfall, and a twirling stairwell used by the king to inspect the Dwarves' work. There is a bridge and a drawbridge. The bridge is over the mine cart shaft which is what the Dwarves secretly use to get crystals out of the mine and send to the Crown Knights with whom their true allegiance lies, as the king never leaves his throne room unless he is to attack an enemy with the Dwarves.

There is also a forge and smithy under the platform, and an area where the specialized armor is brought up for the king himself. The Dwarves also work on armor for themselves, and the king doesen't know it but his armor is significantly lesser in quality than theirs.

But enough story.

There are a number of problems with this bignette. First off, there's a gaping hole over the king's chamber, as well as an unsightly chunk of bricks to the right of that hole. Also, the waterfall could be better, and I need to make a better ladder of sorts inside the Mine under the throne room for the Dwarf to climb up with his armor, and, in addition, create a rack for him to hang his armor on.

Last edited by ZombieEighty-Oh on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code fail.

Picture fail. Try using a white back drop to photograph your stuff with. Would look better.

It's not bad, though it seems sort of empty.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone that's looking to contribute to this thread...

Constructive Criticism, Building, and You

On to the build itself. Like others have pointed out, your pictures are really limiting what can be said. About 60% of the picture is your desk, the surroundings, and it's all very dark. There are several threads around the forum that give tips on how to take better pictures.

The cheap and easy method I use, that at least makes some passable pictures, is just a few pieces of white foam board. It tapes up easily and can be assembled and broken down in minutes. That gives you a uniform background that also reflects ambient light, and that's really what picks up details.

For the build itself... it's somewhat jarring. I know, I've been there before. The problem with LEGO castle sets is that they use all of the BURP (Big Ugly Rock Pieces) to do the greater detail, instead of bricks. While some of these can be integrated, the rock-face ones that slant down hardly ever look good in a custom build.

Beyond that, it looks incomplete. Am I looking at the outside or the inside? Everything is smooth and one color, which hurts any castle build. If you want a master class, take a look at Rocko's building for castle. There are a lot of details on good pictures and good detail in castles. Maybe start smaller to make a better build with more parts.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah; one problem is that I don't have as many dk. bley wedge/slope bricks as I'd like, and when I was building the cliff rock face, which is behind the throne room, I found that I didn't have enough of them, so I unfortunately reverted to the ubiquitous printed rock wall, which kinda makes no sense because it's a mountain. Razz

I already removed most of it so I can restart the structuring; hopefully I'll give it a good roof and make the mountain more mountainy. Wink

And once all that's done I'll take some pictures of the inside.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks promising though. I guess it is still in progress?
I like your little waterfall.

FlickrBrickshelf
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when building cliff/slopes, Bley cheeseslopes are your friend.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Andi: Yeah, it's kinda in progress. I'm getting more ideas on how to restructure it so it looks more like it's built into the mountain, as that's generally where the skill of Dwarves is best made use of. Wink

But I will keep the waterfall, though. Smile

@ Cali: Yeah, they really make a BURP look nice. I just found a bunch more, so I'll use them too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: