FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shai Hulud

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Shai Hulud Reply with quote

Any Dune fans here?

These Fremen have summoned a baby worm.

Image is gallery when public.

A shot.

Another shot.

Fremen with thumper and crysknife.
mjck7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worm is the spice!

Nice vig Reb!
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'aime! I love Dune, this is an awesome MOC, now just for some of those VTOL things they use in the movie.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, now you've gone and given my friend Matt, the Dune fan, a raging... um, smile. Wicked cool, though.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! That worm is absolutely awesome! I really like this one as I do all your MOCs, Rocko. Smile
A Talking Head

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I read Dune a few years ago, this really captures the essence of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET! I love that worm!

I[lllllll]EEE[]l/=====================
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people."
Shai' Huluuuud!

Awesome rendition of the worm! I love it. I am a huge Dune fan and I've read all the original books by Frank Herbert. The David Lynch movie is one of my favorites. I like the SciFi series somewhat, but it had some issues that make me not want to watch it multiple times.

But where is Muad'Dib?
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never get into the 1984 movie, but there was enough there to get me interested in Dune, so I eventually read the original novel and loved it. Haven't gotten around to reading the rest of 'em though.

Nice work as usual, Rocko.
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the books. I'm probably more obsessed with them than Star Wars. Well...maybe the same. The newer books by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are kind of dumb but I still own them. I love the David Lynch film even though there are some big holes in it. Then again, it's a difficult story to pull off in a hollywood flick .

Thanks for the comments fellas. Smile
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelRock wrote:
I love the David Lynch film even though there are some big holes in it. Then again, it's a difficult story to pull off in a hollywood flick .

Yeah, that was my problem with it. I watched it as a youngster and was simultaneously mesmerized and confused...I thought that watching the 4 hour extended version as an adult might have more payoff. While I did enjoy it (and since I'm not really a Lynch fan, that's saying a lot), all it did was whet my appetite for all the info being left out...so, once I actually sat down and read the novel, it was very satisfying.
strwrs429

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job once again. Do you make all of these diaramas and keep them all, or break them down after posting them?
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
While I did enjoy it (and since I'm not really a Lynch fan, that's saying a lot), all it did was whet my appetite for all the info being left out...so, once I actually sat down and read the novel, it was very satisfying.

Watching the movie as a kid is what got me into the books as well. See, Hollywood pays off. Razz I think when you combine reading with viewing a film or artwork, it really expands the mental picture of a book's universe.
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelRock wrote:
I think when you combine reading with viewing a film or artwork, it really expands the mental picture of a book's universe.

I'd have to agree with this. I actually did it the opposite way though, I read the book first, and then watch the movie. Actually, it was the Sci-Fi channel's miniseries, directed John Harrison, and not Lynch's movie. The main difference is that its close to 5 hours in length total. I found it to be as close to the book as you're probably ever going to get. Sure, there were a few minor inconsistencies, but I do wonder if I'd have notice as much if I hadn't watched it immediately finishing the book. (I literally finished the book yesterday, then went out, bought, and watched the miniseries today).

I feel the movie helped my enjoyment of the book because it helped me visualize some of the scenes that I had struggled with while reading the book. I'd certainly recommend reading the book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi or even those who enjoy a good tale filled with action, adventure, political intrigue, and philosophy. Additionally, the Sci-Fi miniseries adaptation is a great companion to the book.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lynch's version(s) of the book eventually, because its my understanding (from Amazon reviews) that while it isn't as close as an adaptation, it is better acted and shot (and apparantly casts Patrick Stewart as Gurney and features Toto music - what's generally referred to as "win-win").

Anyways, this MOC is great in that it captures both the grand magnificence and terrifying essence of the sandworms, as well as the mystique of the Fremen (its great that you don't show their faces). Well done as usual, RebelRock.
liquidcross

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune is my favorite book, ever. This MOC does it an incredible amount of justice. Well done!

Brickshelf
the enigma that is zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has created another excellent MOC. Again, it is the prophecy! Wink

RebelRock wrote:
I love the David Lynch film even though there are some big holes in it. Then again, it's a difficult story to pull off in a hollywood flick

Draykov wrote:
While I did enjoy it (and since I'm not really a Lynch fan, that's saying a lot), all it did was whet my appetite for all the info being left out

As you folks can likely discern from my avatar on other forums, I'm a pretty big fan of David Lynch, and Dune was the film that first got me interested in his work. Tackling Dune was a formidable task to start with, and the constant "creative input" of producers Raffaella and Dino De Laurentiis made it all the more difficult. That said, I'd argue the film is a triumph of art design, and the imagery of the film is exceptionally powerful, capturing the spirit and tone, if not the letter, of Herbert's novel. The Sci-fi Channel miniseries might follow the exact plot of the novel more closely, but what remains is a lifeless, artless, almost uniformly poorly acted experience that does nothing to convey the mystery and depth of the writing of Herbert.
Regarding "plot holes," keep in mind the theatrical version of Dune is an exceptionally cut down vision of what David Lynch had for the film. Various longer cuts exist, and while the longer "TV" version of the film as just as many problems as the theatrical cut associated with it (to the point where Lynch had his writing credit removed and replaced with 'Judas Booth'), it does hint at how much more clear a more expanded film would have been. The generation of the Water of Life scene is a highlight. Poor little maker!
Ultimately, what green-lit Dune was Star Wars, and the theatrical version of Dune is an attempt to make Herbert's story into something more resembling the action-adventure yarn of Lucas' space opera. I'd argue the acting, art direction, and creative vision of Lynch is what kept the film an interesting and engaging piece of art, even in a more limited form in which it exists.

Pity Alejandro Jodorowsky never had his way. Now THAT would have been interesting!

badger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would argue that Lynch isn't artistic. Obviously, there were things I really liked about his film if it got me interested enough to read the original work. I just think the man is half-crazed...but I'm sure, as you pointed out, there were other creative forces pushing and pulling the film in various directions, so if it isn't a masterpiece, Lynch isn't the only one to blame.

As far as performances by the actors in Lynch's film, I thought they were top-notch. It's mainly the weird, vague concept of the Guild in the Lynch film that I had trouble with.

P.S. Rocko, your worm still rocks. Smile Having said that, I think a rephrasing is in order. Embarassed
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the enigma that is badger wrote:

Pity Alejandro Jodorowsky never had his way. Now THAT would have been interesting!

No, it would not have been. Speaking of crazy... This guy takes the cake. Sheeesh! Rolling Eyes

Aside from that, I agree with the rest of your post badger.
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. Isn't there a new Dune film in the works? I cannot frickin wait!
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Great worm construction.

I'm actually to reading the last two (Brian Hebert/Anderson) Dune books. Halfway through Hunters and its not too bad. Just not up to par with the originals.

Steve
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Herbert/Anderson books are a decent read but for some reason they don't have as much depth as the originals. I just started Paul of Dune and it seems pretty good so far.
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really don't like about the new ones, is all the references back to specifics of the prequel books. There weren't any such things in the originals and they feel like jarring product placements.

Steve
liquidcross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
What I really don't like about the new ones, is all the references back to specifics of the prequel books. There weren't any such things in the originals and they feel like jarring product placements.

Steve

I hear ya. Luckily, it all works out well in the end. I thought Sandworms was a pretty good conclusion to the whole saga.

Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: