FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COTW question, or "Status of the site update?"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: COTW question, or "Status of the site update?" Reply with quote

So after seeing the renders posted on the main page, perhaps we should continue with a weekly pick of an outstanding MOC by one of our members of either the Flickr pool or just in general. I think this would appease the old farts who want custom of the week back, and also encourage members to join once the veil has been lifted because of the spammers.

What are your thoughts?

edit by Chief:
See post here for site update news
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a terrible idea. Rolling Eyes Wink

COTW will be back, don't you worry your pretty little head.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
R2 Lou2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Main Page Mocs Reply with quote

Emperor wrote:
... appease the old farts ...

A lovely turn of phrase Smile Wink
I second the motion for the appeasement of old farts and the return of MOC's on the front page.

Brickshelf
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had this idea sitting around for a while now, we've just yet to really do it.
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
We've had this idea sitting around for a while now, we've just yet to really do it.

ha, yeah, seems to be a common thought for a lot of things Laughing

AJay
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:

COTW will be back, don't you worry your pretty little head.

Shweet, oh, and can we open back up the suggestions section while you're at it? Wink

EDIT: Actually with how slow you guys do everything, you should make it custom of the month Wink
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or decade... Laughing
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/Facepalm...

For what it's worth, I'd love to see custom of the week again, but I understand that it must take a LOT of work to keep the submissions from piling up...
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see FBTB start something like this up. My site has been doing this since it's begining, and, if I may point this out, it is always fun to have the general site population be able to nominate and vote for a featured MOC/Figure. It brings participation and fun back into the forum.
The way I do it (and recomend to you as well) is, at the end of every month (week, whatever), post a topic opened up to nominations for the featured MOC. Members say which MOC they would like to see on the front page. After a few days of nominations, put the nominated MOC's into a poll, and members can vote on which MOC they'd like to see on the front page. It's like a contest, but with all MOC's eligible and with no reward but fame and glory. Wink

As for actually putting a featured MOC on your front page, it can be resized and fit onto your right side secondary column permenantly, or posted on the main column once.

This really shouldn't be that hard and it's very fun to do. Smile I'd like to see this carried out in the near future.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Clone CommandoABC123: I don't know if your post was meant to be patronizing or you are simply ignorant of how COTW used to be run here.
FBTB had a Custom of the Week for a loooong time, and well before your site came around. It's not coming back simply because you think its a good idea.

I'm adding more to this post to explain my frustration:
The current main page is mostly stagnant because:
RTB keeps us from posting about new sets, and the Customs update process was an ancient broken time-consuming mess. Among other things.

We closed the Suggestions Forum months ago because we were implementing many of the ideas put forth there.

A new site is in the works. I can't tell you how far along it is because I haven't heard lately. Ace is most of the manpower behind the sitebuilding, and he's had some personal concerns that I understand 100% why they've kept him from this site being his priority. I'm sorry, but that's the truth, whether we like it or not.

There's a basic shell of a site in place right now that the staff has access to, but it's really nothing until the new look is built into it. There's a new forum in place that needs some customization before we can call it ready.

Again, there's lots of things we're implementing in FBTB 2.0, and I'm sorry if I/we/Ace snap when people try to tell me/us/Ace how to do things that are already in progress.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
The Jinja Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
Dear Clone CommandoABC123: I don't know if your post was meant to be patronizing or you are simply ignorant of how COTW used to be run here.

I'm gonna go with the latter there, Chief, seeing as he wasn't here back in 2005 (BC) when CotW was last seen alive.

Anyway, not sure if my memory's fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure there was talk amongst you staff types a few months ago of RtB being outdated. Not sure if that's still going around, but you'd at least have some news if it got scrapped. Razz

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>

Last edited by The Jinja Zombie on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jinja Ninja wrote:
Chief wrote:

I'm gonna go with the latter there, Cheif, seeing as he wasn't here back in 2005 (BC) when CotW was last seen alive.

Anyway, not sure if my memory's fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure there was talk amongst you staff types a few months ago of RtB being outdated. Not sure if that's still going around, but you'd at least have some news if it got scrapped. Razz

You people have better memories than I give you credit for. Or you have moles in the staff forum. Stay tuned.
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of the front page, anyway? Am I wrong in assuming that the main point of this site is (and has been for some time) the forums?

Ever thought of just getting rid of the front page and replacing it with a simple splash and a pass-through link?

It's no bother to me whatever happens. My link takes me directly to the Index page. I look at the front page maybe once a month.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is a part of the forum - the front page is the landing point for a far greater audience, as apparent by the poll turnouts.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc wrote:
What's the point of the front page, anyway? Am I wrong in assuming that the main point of this site is (and has been for some time) the forums?

Ever thought of just getting rid of the front page and replacing it with a simple splash and a pass-through link?

It's no bother to me whatever happens. My link takes me directly to the Index page. I look at the front page maybe once a month.

The main page used to be, and will be important. I know many (most?) people don't care for it anymore, and that's what we're working on.
This site used to be about building and collecting first, chitchat second. The main page used to spotlight great builders and their models, and review sets.

Right now, it's more like the opposite: all talk and no substance. Look for us to remedy that.
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief, I remember the site when it was all about the builders. I was coming to FBTB when it was all white, with the center column of updates, and just a few pages in total. I'm probably one of the longest-running "visitors" around here.

I wish I had as much time to build as I have to troll around the forums. Maybe I'll ask my boss if they'll let me build at the office...
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
The main page used to spotlight great builders and their models, and review sets.

That feature was simply fantastic. Smile I loved reading all the different reviews and checking out the ultra high quality pics. Why did it die? Was it because the forums got a review section? Neutral
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:
Chief wrote:
The main page used to spotlight great builders and their models, and review sets.

That feature was simply fantastic. Smile I loved reading all the different reviews and checking out the ultra high quality pics. Why did it die? Was it because the forums got a review section? Neutral

It died because Ace really really enjoyed shooting and writing them, and didn't want to give up doing it by delegating it out or letting other people give their reviews, and eventually the backlog got so bad there was no hope for catching up. Then the Review forum was created, and here we are.
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember good ol' COTW. I almost submited something. Glad I didn't. It really sucked.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops Embarassed

I always liked COTW, towards the end I was impatient for a winner, but it was always great to see the different things people had built. COTW was basically my first glimpse into the AFOL community and what other people were doing. It was pre Brickshelf and pre Stuart and Gareth's customs (Only just). It was brilliant.

Last edited by Joedward on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I think Cali Fett was talking about his MOC, rather than the contest.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
The Jinja Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
The Master wrote:
That feature was simply fantastic. I loved reading all the different reviews and checking out the ultra high quality pics. Why did it die? Was it because the forums got a review section?

It died because Ace really really enjoyed shooting and writing them, and didn't want to give up doing it by delegating it out or letting other people give their reviews, and eventually the backlog got so bad there was no hope for catching up. Then the Review forum was created, and here we are.

If Ace doesn't mind too much, how about someone (either the staff, a chosen group of normal members, or everyone, via poll) chooses the best review for each set in the Reviews section, and that goes on the front page? That does, of course, go against what Ace apparently said, but seeing as the backlog is just that bad, maybe he'll have changed his tune. Can't hurt to ask, at any rate. Smile

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
Ed, I think Cali Fett was talking about his MOC, rather than the contest.

Indeed. It was a craptastic Punishing One.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: