FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The horror @ TRU

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsocal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: The horror @ TRU Reply with quote

From afar I thought maybe it was a TRU exclusive LEGO classic Space set that I somehow didn't know anything about, than I got closer and the horror set in Wink

1000 pcs for $25, and there were a huge stack of them sitting in the middle of the isle.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3173985&isTopSellingItem=true

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! LOTS crap bricks indeed...

1000 for 25 bucks. That's great price for Lego, if they can do that AND keep quality up, it would be great.

Doubtful, but would be nice.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these stacked up at TRU as well, and remembered a Battlestar Galactica set I saw online recently. To spare the innocent, I won't link it.

The best part about that stack of crap? Some little kids passing along said "Oh man, new Lego?" and upon closer inspection bluntly stated "No, it's fake Lego!"
Kids RULE.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing about these isn't that they're knock-off LEGO, it's that they're knock-off MegaBloks, so they're two steps removed from a decent product...
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
That's great price for Lego.

Um, that's not LEGO, its "Best-Lock." And as much as I'm sure everyone here's gonna bash it without second thought, this set doesn't look that bad. There are actually a few other sets in their "War of the Planets" line, and most of them actually look pretty cool.

Just because Lego refuses to sell their plastic bits at a reasonable price doesn't mean others can't or shouldn't. LEGO has been ignoring their fan's desperate pleas to bring back the Space line for years. This actually looks like a smart move by Best-Lock to move into market LEGO doesn't seem to care about. If nothing else, maybe it'll be the kick-in-the-butt LEGO needs to bring back the Space line. Let's not forget awesome parts-per-piece ratio either. 2.5 cents per piece? In this holiday's market, that's the kind of deal that's likely to catch on. Wink

So go ahead, go on touting the old "LEGO's products have superior quality" party line while you open up this year's Christmas LEGO set only to discover half the pieces have color variations. Whatever helps you fall asleep at night.

Oh, and before anyone starts in with the "If you hate LEGO so much, why are you here..." crap, know this: I like LEGO, I really do. It's just that I'm not a blind LEGO fanboy who can't acknowledge when another brand makes something interesting.

I know that this is a rant and that you probably think it came out of nowhere, but it is a rant I've been holding back for some time now after reading various "Mega Blocks SUXXORS" threads. It had to be said.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:
Iare Tosevite wrote:

Um, that's not LEGO, its "Best-Lock."

Yeah, you're right, Iare probably is that dumb.

Or, with English not being his first language and all, maybe he didn't conjugate "to be" quite right and meant "That would be a great price for Lego." Maybe?

Nah, he's probably a tard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For only $16, this can be yours.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3140308

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:
Iare Tosevite wrote:

Um, that's not LEGO, its "Best-Lock."

Yeah, you're right, Iare probably is that dumb.

Or, with English not being his first language and all, maybe he didn't conjugate "to be" quite right and meant "That would be a great price for Lego." Maybe?

Nah, he's probably a tard.

Yeah My IQ is kind of low lately. Maybe because I just invented Brain-Drain-O-Mat. Oh well.

Johnsocial, that would be an okay set and I would buy em for parts, that is, if it wasn't made from crap bricks.

Honestly, re-read my post. My first sentence highlights what I really am saying. How did you read past that and get confused by my grammatical error later on? You even made it worse by quoting only the sentence with grammatical error, seriously changing my stance. Nice.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, a play mat!
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJudeAbides wrote:
And as much as I'm sure everyone here's gonna bash it without second thought, this set doesn't look that bad. There are actually a few other sets in their "War of the Planets" line, and most of them actually look pretty cool.

Yeah, but that's only because they're ripping off Battlestar Galactica.

Quote:
LEGO has been ignoring their fan's desperate pleas to bring back the Space line for years. This actually looks like a smart move by Best-Lock to move into market LEGO doesn't seem to care about. If nothing else, maybe it'll be the kick-in-the-butt LEGO needs to bring back the Space line.

Umm...

Quote:
Let's not forget awesome parts-per-piece ratio either. 2.5 cents per piece? In this holiday's market, that's the kind of deal that's likely to catch on. Wink

You get what you pay for. The bricks, assuming they are like MegaBlocks, are of a lower quality plastic and don't fit together as well, aren't as durable, don't have colors as vibrant, etc...

Quote:
So go ahead, go on touting the old "LEGO's products have superior quality" party line while you open up this year's Christmas LEGO set only to discover half the pieces have color variations. Whatever helps you fall asleep at night.

I haven't seen any color variations. The only problems I've had in the past year or so were a couple of missing elements and two melted pieces (all common pieces at that) in Green Grocer. I got replacement parts about a week later, too. From what I've seen, LEGO has very high quality and excellent customer service.

I know you're not just saying things to stir up trouble, and that you're Devil's Advocate, so I tried to offer legitimate counter points. I do own a fairly decent amount of MegaBlocks, and they are nowhere near the quality of LEGO, and that's why they're cheaper. In fact, the model I had was very painful to put together. I really thought the BSG-ish sets were a cool idea at first glance, but I wouldn't buy them simply because I don't trust or like other brands. I am a LEGO fanboy, but it's from experience, not just reading other members saying "MEGACRAP SUX."
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
I am a LEGO fanboy, but it's from experience, not just reading other members saying "MEGACRAP SUX."

Yeah, same.

Short Story: Had a Megacrap set. It broke. I tried to fix it. It broke even more. Never have fixed it.

Back on the topic of this find: Yeah, just look at the price-to-parts, and you can tell it's poor quality. Set looks a little cool, but I wouldn't buy it unless LEGO made it.
General Veers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think they look that bad.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as set design goes, they are kinda eye-catching and the box art really does remind one of Classic-Space. The overriding problem is that it is quite likely a crappy product. I've actually never used Best-Lock that I know of, but I have been inadvertently exposed to Megabloks (the things some people throw into they're eBay lots) and was quite underwhelmed. While I do maintain a pretty rigid sense of brand loyalty, it's firmly founded in first-hand experience. I sleep just fine, thanks.
Zom-9
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is I see peices there that I wish LEGO would make. Sad
When I first saw the "War of the Planets" logo on the box I imediatly thought they were ripping off the Star Wars line but I never thoght of Battlestar Galactica.

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
Zombie147
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, one thing I've noticed about LEGO rip-off brands is that they usually have too many unusual parts, and it usually takes away the fun of trying to figure out how to build something if there are enough funky-looking bricks that you can build a plane in three pieces.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetman147 wrote:
Meh, one thing I've noticed about LEGO rip-off brands is that they usually have too many unusual parts, and it usually takes away the fun of trying to figure out how to build something if there are enough funky-looking bricks that you can build a plane in three pieces.

*cough*
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I hate those new planes. I actually wrote a long letter of complaint to TLC about them. Absolutely pathetic. Confused

Also, I was looking at the pictures closely, and I noticed that only the windshields and the wings on the fighters in the second set are new pieces. The others are copies of existing LEGO bricks, so it's not quite "building a ship in three pieces" (Which Mega excels at, by the way).
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I saw those sets at TRU the other day! I didn't think they were new, though. I just assumed that nobody was buying them, and that TRU was setting out their old stock in plain view in hopes that folks'd buy 'em. Funny thing is, they were untouched. Mr. Green

And you know, I got one of these Best-Lock sets once, as a Christmas present. It was this military helicopter along with a Jeep-like vehicle. I could barely even play with the thing without it falling apart. Honestly, these things are, if it's possible, worse than Mega-Blows...

Proud member of the AFEC
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the sets pictured look like sci-fi from the '70s, like they would belong in the Space 1999 universe. The smaller set looks like a BSG ripoff.
Zombie147
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
Jetman147 wrote:

*cough*

Well, that was oddly specific. I was talking more about the wings on what looks to be the gray enemy ships. I think that that one piece used probably wouldn't be useful anywhere else, and had it been a LEGO product, there would be far more bricks used. On the plane, however, the cockpit looks like it could be used for a monorail, perhaps, and the half pipes that make up the body of the plane look like they could find use in other places, maybe a silo or a building.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelRock wrote:
Oooh, a play mat!

Does it appeal to you? Wink
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetman147 wrote:

I once got a Lego knock-off brand Battle Ship for Christmas, and one of the minifigures had a Hitler 'stache Laughing
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoflWafls wrote:
I once got a Lego knock-off brand Battle Ship for Christmas, and one of the minifigures had a Hitler 'stache Laughing

LEGO itself had a fig with a Hitler stache in the 90's... a police officer, if memory serves...
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
RoflWafls wrote:

LEGO itself had a fig with a Hitler stache in the 90's... a police officer, if memory serves...

Hey, hey... Oliver Hardy and Charlie Chaplin had the 'stache too.
mhsdrummer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it really might not be that bad. yes it has a great price/part but if you think about it the taj mahal has 6000 for $300 and the which is only 5 cents a piece. also not one of us here could say that lego doesnt have any inflation (they have to in order to make a living) so maybe this new brand is just selling for closer to what they pay for it. i only collect star wars but for those of you who collect more than that i would say give these a shot and if they are complete crap well then you can use them for a cool explosion scene in a movie or something. but if they are of semi-decent quality then competition only drives down prices which helps us, the consumers.
Gingerbeard Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhsdrummer wrote:
yes it has a great price/part but if you think about it the taj mahal has 6000 for $300 and the which is only 5 cents a piece.

One thing to consider when talking about price per part is the type and quantity (ie. variety) of parts. A large number of identical parts should always have a better ratio than many different parts in small numbers.

I recently had a look at the inventory of the Taj Mahal set:
388 Trans-Clear Plate 1 x 1
276 White Brick, Round 1 x 1 Open Stud
240 White Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Grill
236 White Plate 1 x 1
216 White Brick 1 x 1
208 White Turntable 2 x 2 Plate, Base
174 White Plate 1 x 2
172 Tan Plate, Round 1 x 1

Almost a quarter of the total piece count (~ 1400) is 1x1 plates and tiles. At 5 cents a piece you are getting almost $20 worth of clear 1x1 plates. So the good value (in terms of price/part) of the Taj Mahal comes as no surprise.

I see that both "War of the Planets" sets each contain two identical baddie ships, which I guess is also a way of reducing the price/part ratio. Saves on the instruction booklet too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: