FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LCAD Advice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO/Star Wars Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: LCAD Advice Reply with quote

As a total LCAD newbie, I've always been amazed by the quality of peoples' LCAD designs. What LCAD software is recommended for Mac users?

Thanks!
~H
Walter Kovacs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to start at www.ldraw.org. MLCad, and a host of other programs, are simply GUIs that use LDraw as the core program. They have a lot of Tutorials that should help you get started, and let you know what other programs you may need to get to make high quality renders.

As for what's recommended for MAC users, I can't help you there. I'm sure most of the programs are available to you.

Personally, I use MLCad for the Lego design, L3P or L3PAO to convert to a .pov file, and POV-Ray to do the rendering. I've been happy with the results. (L3P is a program that converts the MLCad file to a file POV-Ray can use. L3PAO is a windows based version of L3P, which is DOS based. POV-Ray is the rendering program.) I'd love to use LPub, a program that can generate POV-Ray quality instructions, but my home computer lacks the processing horsepower to run it, and my machine at work won't allow me to install it (stupid administrative privaleges).

I will tell you that I have struggled at times to get the camera angle and lighting correct in POV-Ray. Something about the coordinate system it uses stymies me. If you find a good method, or tutorial, please let me know.
liquidcross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LCAD Advice Reply with quote

H3D1 wrote:
What LCAD software is recommended for Mac users?

I recommend Bricksmith. Smile

Brickshelf
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO/Star Wars Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: