FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kit Bashing - which one has been hardest to tear apart?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Kit Bashing - which one has been hardest to tear apart? Reply with quote

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to tear apart my system sets to continue building my ISD scale Imperial fleet. It was pretty easy to rip up my Sith Infiltrator and my old X- and Y-Wings, but now I'm to the point where I'm going to have to tear apart my 4504 Millennium Falcon, which I actually quite like.

The thing is, I can't afford to go Bricklinking right now, but I'd like to continue making some ships while I'm still poor. So that means tearing apart system sets, and this one is going to hurt.

Any sets that really hurt for you? Or do you NEVER tear apart your system sets?
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NEVER taken apart my UCS X-Wing, despite the fact that there are tonnes of nifty parts in it, especially the engines. I just couldn't bring myself to do it...

I also regretted taking apart Black Falcon's fortress, that's an awesome castle. Very Happy
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While building the Death Star I teared apart the old Y-Wing. This was the first time I did this with a Star Wars Set (Read: with a set after dark age)
It was a strange feeling and I only used a few parts, the rest is stored away in an extra ziploc bag.

FlickrēBrickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret taking apart my 7191 UCS X-Wing. Evan if I did make a cool lightsaber out of the parts, it's got to be my favourite set. I'll rebuild it again soon I think
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time taking apart sets in general. Every time I buy a new set I rearrange my displays so I donít ever to take any of them apart. I have taken some sets apart. My creator sets, and some Technic Star Wars sets. Actually Iím taking apart theTechnic Halfire droid. Itís hard to take apart, but not in the mental sense, but in the physical sense-very tedious.
The Department of Redundancy Department
ZomDarkie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to take apart my Dan Siskand Blacksmith Shop or my Black Seas Barracuda. Nope. Not happening.

I also have my guarded In still built. The rest of my "built sets" are in various states of disrepair as I need the parts.
"...they lined them up, St. Nicholas and the Headless Horseman and Snow White and Rumpelstiltskin and Mother Goose...and shot them down, and burned the paper castles and the fairy frogs and old kings and the people who lived happily ever after..."
hatcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore apart my original slave 1 set for parts, (don't miss it cause it sucked compared to the new one), but everything else I simply removed the part I needed, and replaced it with either a different coloured piece, or a similar piece that would fill the gap.

Oh, I almost forgot, I did rip apart my original Sith Infiltrator a few years back to build my custom Prometheus (from Stargate: SG1) which hurt a bit, but I've managed to locate enough parts to reassemble it, although there are still a few odd coloured pieces filling in a couple of spots.
Walter Kovacs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take apart my system sets often. Makes them easier to store.

My UCS sets are a different story. I never take them apart. I don't even acknowledge their existance in my part inventory (I keep a spreadsheet inventorying all my parts according to Peeron number and color. Makes MOCing off of MLCad part lists easy).
0ceanZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i took apart quite a few of my older sets a year or two ago
for the pieces. But then I couldn't stand it much longer and had to
rebuild them to fill the gap on my shelves. Rolling Eyes
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only set i "decommissioned" was the older AT-TE, which obviously was to make room for the new one. the 8 old-style episode 2 clone troopers i had, are now piloting (and gunning) my two new republic gunships, thus freeing up more of the clone wars clones to be out on the front lines Very Happy

AJay
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never, ever take apart my sets. Sometimes they just fall apart, but I never take them apart. However, I'm not much of a MOCer
Reaper

Location: Dwelling in the darkness making goofy faces at everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hardest one to tear apart was 6982 explorien starship. I loved that set as a kid since it was actually the first large set I ever got. But those hinge pieces and the canopies were just too tempting. Still regret taking it apart now. Actually I regret taking apart all of the Explorien sets I had. All my other system sets are pretty much unscathed.

"You are fortunate, my enemy. You have paid the price but once. I never stop paying."-Cursed Ronin. MTG
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hardest had to be my Batman and Castle sets. I was salvaging them for pieces for my Star Wars mocs.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old AT-AT set took some time to take apart, which it was sad when I was doing it but I needed a lot of light and dark greys. Any same sized plates that are stacked are always a pain in the butt like two 2x2's that are stacked. The Killer of fingernails.
ZombieWaldo
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently my TIE Interceptor and B-wing have come apart in favor of my current project. Taking the B-wing apart sucked Crying or Very sad

I also dismantled my Magna-guard fighter, but I intended to tear it apart from the moment I bought it, so no loss Laughing
Vidzombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flickr

Last edited by conan on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hard taking apart my AT-AT set, it was such a awesome set Sad
The Falconer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take apart pretty much everything. When I get a new set, it may stay built for as long as a month, but soon it gets taken apart and sorted out into the collection. Part of it is space - I simply don't have room to display everything. Mostly, though, I just want the pieces so I can build my own stuff. The exception is the UCS stuff - unless I really need a special piece, I've got all the UCS sets bagged up seperately so I can build them again someday (or perhaps a son or daughter can).

The exception to all of this, though, is the X-wing (second version) and TIE fighter. I've got those set up on a shelf in my room.
Ara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've parted everything in my collection at least once for parts including UCS sets. I've been building more mocs lately and I like to have all my parts available to me. However I've had my Flail'd 4504 Millennium Falcon together for almost three years now with no desire to part it soon. The parts in that build are numerous and useful but like Walter I don't even acknowledge it's existence in my parts inventory. I think it's okay to part your sets because you usually keep the instructions which means the set isn't gone forever.

BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
dWhisper
99% Evil ģ [MOD]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I've moved in the near past, everything has been broken down. I've parted out my collection way back in the past, but undid that damage when I came out of my last dark age. Since then, things may get broken down, but they're always still set up.

Of the sets I've had to tear down, probably the Sail Barge. It's the only set that's ever stayed together it's entire life with me, save when I moved. It was also the first one built when I got settled.

And the one my cat just loves to attack...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: