FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20006 Mini Clone Turbo Tank Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidcross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: 20006 Mini Clone Turbo Tank Review Reply with quote

I just got my Brickmaster subscription package in the mail yesterday, and aside from the magazine, comics, and other crap, this Star Wars Mini set was the cream of the crop. So, let's see how the ol' Turbo Tank measures up, shall we?

Kuat Drive Yards upgraded their A5 Juggernaut into the Heavy Assault Vehicle/wheeled (HAVw) A6 Juggernaut, and it was used to great effect during the Clone Wars. Since "Heavy Assault Vehicle/wheeled (HAVw) A6 Juggernaut" is quite a mouthful, the grunts on the ground either called it the "Juggernaut" or the "Turbo Tank." It brought loads of firepower to bear against Separatist armies; few droids were a match for the Republic's rolling behemoth of destruction!

While we've seen the Turbo Tank in full-size form (set #7261; you can read GIR3691's review here), this is the official Mini scale treatment. As such, details are scaled down and often missing, but in this case, the final model looks pretty damn good. The Tank's defining features are all present: rear rapid-repeated heavy laser cannon, side-mounted missile launchers, laser cannon turret, antipersonnel laser cannons, and even the spotter's pod up top! There's sadly no independent suspension on the Tank's wheels, which honestly wouldn't have negatively impacted the model's size or detail. I'm not quite sure why that was left out, as we could clearly see the various wheels bouncing about Episode III.

The biggest strike against this set is the fact that it's a Brickmaster exclusive. While it's nice for those who are already members, if you're not a subscriber already, you'll need to pony up the $40 (plus shipping and applicable sales tax) to nab it. Also, if you're not in the US, you're kinda screwed, too. Sad It's definitely a judgment call on whether you want to make the investment (there's more mini Star Wars sets coming, as we all know), but personally, I found it to be worth it in the end.

Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10):

Parts:
7/10 Nothing overly unique here, other than two minifig binoculars used for the missile launchers. The Technic pneumatic T-pieces are a nice touch for the antipersonnel laser cannons.
Minifigs: n/a As it's a Mini set, it doesn't come with any, nor should it.
Detail: 7/10 A simplistic design, but it really captures the essence of the Turbo Tank.
Playability: 7/10 It rolls around, which is what most kids would want if it won't fly. Wink Plus, it's a lot easier to fit in your pocket than the full-sized version.
Price to parts: 7/10 This is a tough call, since it's a Brickmaster exclusive. There's 64 pieces total, and the Brickmaster kits are supposed to be around a $5.99 value, so in that sense, it's a decent deal. Your mileage may vary.
Availability: 2/10 It's for Brickmaster subscribers only, unless you want to go the eBay route. That's sadly going to turn a lot of people off.
OVERALL RATING: 6/10 I enjoyed this set, the Brickmaster requirement nonwithstanding. We need more ground vehicles in the Mini line, and this is a fine addition to the group. If all else fails, you can always try to build your own; again, none of the parts are that tough to find, and the design's simple enough. Good luck! Very Happy

Brickshelf
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe I just got mine in the mail like 15 mins ago. Looks cool. I'll post when I've built it. Ty for the review.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: