FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

 
 ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming sets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much personality does one need in a minifig representation of a genetic copy bred for a singular, militaristic purpose?
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Cam



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Location: Frozen ND

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming set Reply with quote

Sandtrooper Platoon wrote:
As it is coming up to 2009 and new sets are in the pipeline, I thought it would be prudent to ask the FBTB community should the bell toll for the creepy mini-fig and release any new characters in their more normal guise with standard minifig faces?

As far as I am concerned, they should. Here's why.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are two minifigs that can be salvaged. I use a spare Obi-Wan head (from 7665 Republic Cruiser) to replace the horrible one (from 7676).

For Anakin, take any Luke head from any number of sets with Luke in them. Anakin and Luke are dead ringers (except for the coloration of the eyebrows).

Plo-koon is cool. I couldn't imagine any other way they could make it appear standard.

Assaj, I can live with, because she doesn't have eyes that look like she is on crack.

The only problem is Ahsoka. They could release her in an upcoming set, with an orange head, but with standard mini-fig eyes. Therefore they could also have a Shaak Ti minifig. Wink

The clones are cool, because you can cover their fugtoon faces permanently. How often will you display (or play with them for our younger viewers) without their helmets on.

I think the Lego company would be crazy to release any new CW sets with creepy mini-fig versions of such prominent Jedi such as Yoda, Mace Windu or Ki-Adi Mundi and Count Dooku as possible choices to be released in upcoming sets. These minifigs would be ruined by "attempting" to make them look like their animated counterparts. TLC has ruined Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka. However, they could release normal mini-figs in sets later next year, to make up for their blunder.

I hope that the 7675, 7676 and 7680 sets are the last we will see of the creepy minifig. (Fingers crossed).

Please TLC, listen to the marketplace. Cool


You are missing the point of why they did this.

They need them to be easily recognizable with the cartoon series, they won't stop because you don't like them, it's a smart business move and LEGO knows this.

I am sure that non clone wars sets will have regular faces.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rayman



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
How much personality does one need in a minifig representation of a genetic copy bred for a singular, militaristic purpose?


Enough to question orders and comments made by a Jedi, but not enough to question a certain sixty-sixth directive. Wink
_________________
My BrickSHELF | My BrickLINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandtrooper Platoon



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Location: Mos Eisley, Tatooine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really bites the big one that the creepy minifigs really do suck like nobodies business because the sets are pretty cool.
Always wanted a new AAT and the Attack Shuttle rocks. Look for cheap minifigs on Bricklink 'cos I am practically giving them away (at least Im keeping the ones that I can replace with normal heads ie. Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, Yoda. And getting rid of the rest.

Check this out.



Now that's the way they should be. You can have your fugtoon hair, but don't sully the faces.
_________________
"Wow! Did you see that Jawa's head come apart man?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJayIrish



Joined: 29 May 2007
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much same post in two threads?

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=28096
_________________
a V8 engine has power thats no lie, but an arc-welder operates at six thousand degrees Celcius...i would rather spend $100 AUD on an arc welder for power thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sandtrooper Platoon



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Location: Mos Eisley, Tatooine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
pretty much same post in two threads?


Wow! Your powers of perception amaze me! Rolling Eyes

They are fundamentally different. And not everyone spends their nights strolling through every forum, Einstein. Wink
_________________
"Wow! Did you see that Jawa's head come apart man?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]


Joined: 05 Feb 2005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, it didn't' need to be reposted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandtrooper Platoon



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Location: Mos Eisley, Tatooine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WookieWarrior9 wrote:
I haven't touched any of the new CW sets. I can't help but wonder if people lost their minds when they made these.


It is a pity and a dilemma. Because I like the craft contained in the sets, I still purchase them. Shocked

After building the sets I change the creepy minifigs to MOC's with decent heads. I then sell the leftover methhead minifigs to those who want them.
However, in hindsight, I would feel much better if I burnt the heads with a blowtorch. Wink Twisted Evil
_________________
"Wow! Did you see that Jawa's head come apart man?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJayIrish



Joined: 29 May 2007
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isn't a "complain until u get your own way" scenario, more like a "sit n be quiet and let it be" scenario....i'd love to make girls wear more respectable clothing, i'd love guys to stop showing their boxers under their jeans, i'd love the music industry to pull its finger out.....

might be off topic, but it all comes down to one relevant point....like you with this topic, its just my opinion, and it can do NOTHING to change it.


i really like these figs, as do many others here, heck, my two nephews aged 5 and 6 also love them. there is no reason lego would stop doing this just because you say so......and if by some miracle they listen to u.....tell them to lower their prices in australia.

in closing: would you like some cheese with that wHine?

AJay
_________________
a V8 engine has power thats no lie, but an arc-welder operates at six thousand degrees Celcius...i would rather spend $100 AUD on an arc welder for power thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Blondie-Wan



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: a perpetual dream-state

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd still like to see them go back to yellow for all regular human minifigs, but I do realize that's not going to happen. Given that that's the case, I wish they'd release / hope they will release 'updated' (fleshtone) versions of all the (unmasked, human) characters they issued in yellow in the past (Luke in fatigues and fatigues sans jacket, Leia in Bespin gown, Biggs, Lobot, etc.).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sandtrooper Platoon



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Location: Mos Eisley, Tatooine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
this isn't a "complain until u get your own way" scenario, more like a "sit n be quiet and let it be" scenario....i'd love to make girls wear more respectable clothing, i'd love guys to stop showing their boxers under their jeans, i'd love the music industry to pull its finger out.....

might be off topic, but it all comes down to one relevant point....like you with this topic, its just my opinion, and it can do NOTHING to change it.


i really like these figs, as do many others here, heck, my two nephews aged 5 and 6 also love them. there is no reason lego would stop doing this just because you say so......and if by some miracle they listen to u.....tell them to lower their prices in australia.

AJay


Vox populi

Power to the people.
_________________
"Wow! Did you see that Jawa's head come apart man?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJayIrish



Joined: 29 May 2007
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

power to the people?....HA! why don't you actually do something productive then? you complain so much, why not do something constructive, like form a petition, bring real power to the people.
_________________
a V8 engine has power thats no lie, but an arc-welder operates at six thousand degrees Celcius...i would rather spend $100 AUD on an arc welder for power thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
why not do something constructive, like form a petition

Those tend to be pretty useless in situations like this.

And in direct response to the topic at hand: we've already established that the fugtoon faces are a stylization choice enforced by Lucasfilm. That is to say, you have two uphill battles ahead of you on this one (i.e. convince both Lucasfilm and LEGO that fugtoon faces are bad).

The absolute most effective thing to do, it seems to me, would be to not buy the Clone Wars sets. Of course, the financial impact on LEGO would be minimal in the case of an individual deciding not to purchase them. Basically, if the stink raised isn't big enough, there's no reason for LEGO to change, ergo, there's really no need to emphatically state over and over again to forum peers that you hate them. And honestly, if you hate the figs but like the sets enough to buy them anyway, how big of a deal is this for you?

I agree that they're stupid looking and I agree that I'd be disappointed to see more unique characters get the fugtoon treatment before or in lieu of a standard minfig rendition. That said, complaining about it in multiple threads day-to-day isn't going to change anything.
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!


Joined: 30 May 2005
Location: behind you, preparing to nom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
That said, complaining about it in multiple threads day-to-day isn't going to change anything.


...other than make us wish for an "ignore posts by member" feature, or judicious use of the Banhammer.
_________________
My BrickLink store
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr


Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Location: Planet Arus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best topics to watch and laugh at are ones pertaining to Religion, Politics, and Complaints about sets. Laughing

Seriously? Power To The People? Come on. It's a friggen TOY for crying out loud. It's not like you are going to die because a minifig doesn't look the way you want it to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!


Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere near Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
The best topics to watch and laugh at are ones pertaining to Religion, Politics, and Complaints about sets. Laughing

Seriously? Power To The People? Come on. It's a friggen TOY for crying out loud. It's not like you are going to die because a minifig doesn't look the way you want it to.


Finally, someone sane in this world. Very well said.
_________________
Do or do not, there is no try!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knapplZ
Undead!


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Location: Waiting for Rocko's next cool build

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Ben Kenobi wrote:
Turkguy19 wrote:
The best topics to watch and laugh at are ones pertaining to Religion, Politics, and Complaints about sets. Laughing

Seriously? Power To The People? Come on. It's a friggen TOY for crying out loud. It's not like you are going to die because a minifig doesn't look the way you want it to.


Finally, someone sane in this world. Very well said.

Seriously? This is a LEGO forum, so why NOT get excited about it? I actually think Turk's comments are more "out of place" here than the general hubbub about the icky LEGO heads (although I actually like the LEGO heads).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
AJayIrish



Joined: 29 May 2007
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knapplc wrote:
Seriously? This is a LEGO forum, so why NOT get excited about it? I actually think Turk's comments are more "out of place" here than the general hubbub about the icky LEGO heads (although I actually like the LEGO heads).



this is beyond the word "excited" by now, was the second he started using aggressive words like "fugtoon" n "methhead".....its really just not appealing to read, he has no constructive posts, its all just complaints, with no real substance.

AJay
_________________
a V8 engine has power thats no lie, but an arc-welder operates at six thousand degrees Celcius...i would rather spend $100 AUD on an arc welder for power thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Location: Lone Star State

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
"fugtoon"


I think I may have been responsible for coining that one...but if so, I stand by it. Smile
_________________
Hail Brains!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJayIrish



Joined: 29 May 2007
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can be responsible for it, i don't mind that at all....but this kid overuses it, over stresses it.....its like that emo that was screaming "leave Britney alone!!"

AJay
_________________
a V8 engine has power thats no lie, but an arc-welder operates at six thousand degrees Celcius...i would rather spend $100 AUD on an arc welder for power thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group