FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My New Gray Ship / Droids / Custom Army...[Updated 10/21/08]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Force Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: My New Gray Ship / Droids / Custom Army...[Updated 10/21/08] Reply with quote

Yet another gray smuggler-like vessel I made about…gosh, I dunno, months ago. I’ve had it sitting on my drawer, waiting to be photographed for a while. I feel horrible not having done so for such a long time (school and work don’t mix with Lego at the moment).

For the MOC itself: I used a few new techniques here, especially considering the landing gear. I drew heavily upon this and this for the solution. I don’t want to brag, but I love the way it came out – from the reinforced structure, to the way it folds in the ship hidden by car roofs is a leap in building for me. Other techniques include the rear and front ends, which use a lot of hinged car roofs (I found a good deal on car roofs on bricklink). While it may have certainly been used before, it’s new to me.

Here’s the crew to The Ardiok, The Deckoya brothers. From left to right: Trey, Klem, Jex, Maxtor (Max for short) and Maxor’s droid, RIC (Robotic Intelligence Computer).

Some info on each:

Trey, the oldest son of the Deckoya family, is the captain/pilot of the ship, and is a very laid back/carefree type of guy. The only upgrade he contributed to the ship was a bigger sized cup holder to fit his huge Cup O’ Joe.

Klem, the second oldest is also a laid back, but not as much as his older brother. He’s slick with the ladies, and knows how to handle a blaster more than most people, which puts him in charge of all the weaponry the ship has to offer.

Jex is the quiet brother who most of the time gets lost in the mix of the family. When in a fight, this guy can hold little more than his own, making him the weak link when it comes to holding a gun. He’s usually left behind on the ship when things get rough. He’s a go-getter though, and is the man to call when the ship’s engine goes wrong.

Bringing up the Deckoya family is Maxtor, or Max as the rest call him. Trey calls this kid a geek, as he’s a genius with computers and state-of-the-art technology (his terminology confuses his brothers at times). He’s the creator of RIC, their beloved “fifth brother”.

As just mentioned, RIC the droid was created by Max, and helps with hacking into unauthorized systems used by Imperial forces. Because his design uses such advanced computers, his personality is very close to that of a human, making him possess deep feelings, such as attachment to his creator and his family.

And for the ship, here’s the gallery (I’m sorry, but I didn’t crop the pictures. I’m planning to re-upload cropped pictures when I eventually have some time. For now, I hope Brickshelf’s self-cropping feature will suffice. Again, sorry).

In addition to RIC the droid, I made him a companion, found in this gallery (when public).

Also, totally unrelated, I made a custom army (also when public).

Praise and constructive criticism are very appreciated!

Click the pic to view my bricks.

Last edited by Force Master on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just love grey, flat starships, don't you? Wink

Very nice design, quite simple yet solid. More than a bit like a Lamborgini Millennium Falcon, actually (with a whole crew of Solos Razz).
The greeblings are quite superb, but the sheer size of the ship - and particularly its large plain surfaces - lessens their impact quite a bit. Still, all the detailing on the ship looks great, as does the landing pads - which are somewhat little compared to the size of the body of the vessel, though. I especially like the way you made the edges of the blocky design so round and smooth. It looks good. And even though I'm not that big fan of your windscreen choice, it fits the overall style well.

The interior of the ship is very nice, too, with great detail, although the colour scheme is somewhat plain. Where's that captain's steering stick brick from, by the way? I don't remember seeing one before.

As for the droids and the custom army, since the galleries aren't public yet, I'll say just this: deeplinks would be nice. Wink
roguebantha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great ship, at first it looks deceptivley simple but it's quite sexy on second look Very Happy
Good choice with the colour scheme and shape outside but personally I'd feel inclined to make more of the guns or add a rectanner dish or something (maybe to add some asymetry).
The inside is really niclely detailed and works well but I agree with Galagoo, a bit more colour would be good.
But overall it's a very cool ship, something memorable and well designed, and it looks like a great playset!
Force Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galagoo, thanks. It is a very flat ship. Almost too flat when viewed from certain angles, but I guess that's what defines it. The greeblies are pretty much the same techniques I use with all my other ships, but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smile The landing gear does seem a bit on the small side, but you'd be surprised how much weight it can hold. Easily, it would take another half of the ship's weight. I have no idea where the captain steering stick is originally from - just found it off of bricklink. Might have been from a Jack Stone set...

Oh, and I didn't post deeplinks because the pictures would be way oversized. In non-deeplink form, brickshelf auto-crops it.

Roguebantha, thank you. It's always nice to have you comment on my MOC's. I never really considered it "sexy", but I'm flattered that others would think so. I guess it could use some more color (I'm positive I have more than enough dark red bricks to do the job). And a radar dish/more guns would be awesome. I was planning to add some retractable guns in the bottom, folding away like the landing gear, but ended up not doing it (I forget if it was too hard, or I was too lazy). I'll pull something out to see what I come up with.

Thanks again! Any other comments are much appreciated!

Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you could make some resized sample pics to show here, the rest in the gallery being the normal huge size.

Anyway, as for the army and droids, since their galleries are now public.
The bots are relatively simple but really nice, very 50s-looking. I like them. RIC is solid and cool, and the other it pretty cute, looking quite much like a floor-sweeping Dianoga droid - nice parts use in its lower body.

The space troopers are also of a somewhat simple yet working and solid design. Their bodies aren't too fancy, but it's the trooper amount that compensates it. Quite an impressive army, you have.
The weaponry, on the other hand, is neat. Very cool brick-built rifles, they work really well. Reminds me of one of my and my brother's design..
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, from the thumbnails it doesn't look to appealing, but when you actually open up the image it's a nice, detailed ship that seems like it would fit right into the SW universe. I especially like the side detailing and intakes, they work really well here. It does look exceptionally flat; it doesn't detract too much, but I think it might benefit from a few more defining shapes and slopes in certain areas. It would be pretty cool to have some colored striping on it maybe, look like some kind of "sporty" ship.

Anyways, there's a lot of nice parts of the model, for one it must've taken a lot of effort. I'd love to see some coloring on it. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galagoo wrote:
Their bodies aren't too fancy, but it's the trooper amount that compensates it. Quite an impressive army, you have.

Thanks, and yeah, what I paid for it proves that (about $65.00...Confused)

Junsier wrote:
I like it, from the thumbnails it doesn't look to appealing, but when you actually open up the image it's a nice, detailed ship that seems like it would fit right into the SW universe. I especially like the side detailing and intakes, they work really well here. It does look exceptionally flat; it doesn't detract too much, but I think it might benefit from a few more defining shapes and slopes in certain areas. It would be pretty cool to have some colored striping on it maybe, look like some kind of "sporty" ship.

Anyways, there's a lot of nice parts of the model, for one it must've taken a lot of effort. I'd love to see some coloring on it. Smile

Thanks for the comment Junsier! Yeah, from one too many angles, this ship looks way too flat. Like you said, the details are there, but the overwhelming size takes away from that. What I think I'm going to do is start from the ground up with these techniques, but make it significantly smaller, so that the details is more noticeable...

...When I have more time of course. Wink Thanks again.

Force Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know, I'm terrible for doing things quickly, but better late then never I suppose...

Very minor updates, but updates nonetheless. Thanks to roguebantha for the radar dish idea.

UPDATES

Any other recommendations/comments/CC are appreciated. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: