FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Darth Vader and Boba Fett have a history?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthtangent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Do Darth Vader and Boba Fett have a history? Reply with quote

In ESB when the Empire is hiring the bounty hunters to track down Han Solo and Chewbacca there is a nod of recognition between Darth Vader and Boba Fett. I've always wondered what that was about. Are they any stories that would explain that moment? It would be interesting if Anakin and a young Boba crossed paths.

Last edited by darthtangent on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inzane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, it was probably a show of respect. (If you recall, he gives a nod to Leia in Jabba's palace when she delivers Chewie disguised as a bounty hunter... again, for respect).

Now, if you believe in the EU, there were a few novels that featured Boba's past where he crossed paths with Vader a couple times. The bounty hunter trilogy and Shadows of the Empire come to mind. However those aren't necessarily "canon" and weren't written until ~20 years after Empire Strikes Back.

At the very least Vader and Fett probably know of each others' reputation.
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its possible that between Ep II and III, young Boba could have come in contact with Anakin, or maybe another Jedi. We have a good 100 episodes of the Clone Wars to look forward to, so there is a possibility George can put Boba into one or two. Or maybe Boba might make an appearence in the Force Unlease ,as he is one of the most liked Star Wars characters of all time. But Inzane sounds like he is right, it could just be a sign of respect.
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read his wookeepedia article
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I believe that was after they met on the SSD.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time that Boba Fett made any kind of appearence was in the 1978 Star Wars Holday Special. There is a cartoon segment and Boba Fett is working for Vader, to capture Luke Skywalker. He "helps" Luke escape from his Y-wing and then later it is reavealed he's working for Vader. I think he's trying to trap Han too, but I can't remember for sure. I think Han has some kind of disease that leaves him paralized, and Luke must find the antidote. It's hard to tell if Baba is a bad guy at first, because just about every sentence he says ends with "friend."

ie: "Come with me, friend." or "I will help you, frend."

It's a horrible cartoon (just like the rest of the show), but it's fun to watch because it was done so bad.

Just out of curiousity, does that count has EU?
The Department of Redundancy Department
darthtangent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Boba Fett in Ep. IV? I thought he was filmed with Jabba and then the whole scene was dropped, only to be CG'd and added back in the Special Edition. I guess if he worked for Vader then they certainly would have a history. I would consider that cartoon EU, for what it's worth.
Cheers!
Inzane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
Just out of curiousity, does that count has EU?

Laughing Good question. You could almost make a case for it not being EU, considering it was done by Lucas.

darthtangent wrote:
Wasn't Boba Fett in Ep. IV? I thought he was filmed with Jabba and then the whole scene was dropped, only to be CG'd and added back in the Special Edition.

No, Boba Fett was not in the original filmed scene. He was only added in digitally in the Special Edition. He wasn't supposed to be there, I don't know why they put him in there. I can only guess it was a lame attempt to appeal to the fans. ("Hey, cool... look there's boba fett!") Rolling Eyes
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, the things you leave out of a story make it and its characters more interesting. I'm not trying to begrudge anyone their speculatory fun or convince anyone that the EU isn't canon...I just think sometimes less is more.
dWhisper
99% Evil ģ [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fett wasn't in the scene originally filmed with Jabba (who was a fat Greek guy in furs). So far as I know, there was no connection (at least not in the novelizations based on the movies). Though Lucas obviously tried to make one with the whole Clone Wars thing.

That being said, what Drak said is one of the things Lucas has never figured out about great film making, and even great storytelling. A good story involves and enthralls the reader/watcher. Watching Episode IV, you didn't need to know how Vader came to be, you didn't need to know why there was a rebellion, you didn't need to know that Jedi's had midiclorions inside. You just saw it and it had you from the first moments.

It's Lucas' drive to go back and "explain" that ruined the prequels. We never needed to know that there were midiclorions inside. It could have done just as well to show how shocked Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were at the natural power he had. Vader knew the force was strong with Luke from the get go, why do we need an explanation of "why" that is? We don't. Leaving it open would have taken nothing, and in truth, added so much more.

That alone is responsible for the biggest crimes of the PT. Not Jar-Jar, not the Pod Race scene, not even the lack of chemistry between Padme and Anakin. That drive destroyed Revenge of the Sith, which was a cool movie up until Lucas had to have Padme whisper the kids' names. It made Lucas "scar" up the emperor, so he looked like he would later on (because, after all, 23 years doesn't make someone in their 60s look old at all). It made him put Chewbacca in there, when there really was no need what-so-ever.

So, the question of if there was anything is "who knows?" And that's what it should remain.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
A good story involves and enthralls the reader/watcher. Watching Episode IV, you didn't need to know how Vader came to be, you didn't need to know why there was a rebellion, you didn't need to know that Jedi's had midiclorions inside. You just saw it and it had you from the first moments.

I intentionally stopped short of turning my comment into a prequel/"how Lucas has failed me personally" rant, but that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the whole thing, dW. Smile
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inzane wrote:
No, Boba Fett was not in the original filmed scene. He was only added in digitally in the Special Edition. He wasn't supposed to be there, I don't know why they put him in there. I can only guess it was a lame attempt to appeal to the fans. ("Hey, cool... look there's boba fett!") Rolling Eyes

Personally, I find the history within the Star Wars universe fascinating and the history outside that universe interesting as well. I think that one of the reasons that Boba was added to that scene was the popularity of the character. When I went to go see the special edition of Episode IV, the crowd would cheer every time a main character made their first appearance. Surprisingly to me, Boba Fett got the biggest roar from the audience. Since then I have found out that Boba is the most sought after character for collectibles (I always thought it was Vader). Maybe itís a nod to those fans, I donít know. Even though Lucas made a lot of money on the movies, licensing made him filthy rich. To be honest, your guess (Inzane) is as good as mine.

The reason why I asked about the EU ďstatusĒ of the Star Wars Holiday Special was because I never heard about it until much later. In the summer of 1978 I moved to England, before it was televised in December. I only learned of it after reading an article in Uncle Johnís Bathroom Reader. The article stated that both George Lucas and Harrison Ford deny the existence of that show, and refuse to even speak of it. I canít blame them because as I said before, it was really awful (the worst acting Iíve seen Ford do). Of coarse the minute I read about it, I had to get a copy of it. It took a while, but I finally got one. Frankly, I think it should be required viewing for Star Wars fans. If you watch this show, then watch the PT films, they seem to be masterpieces of storytelling.

The other reason I was wondering is that I struggle with the idea of Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Harvey Korman and Gladys Knight being in the Star Wars universe. Oh and I checked, that show was the first appearance of Boba Fett; about two or three years before ESB.

Also, I never read the novels that went into the history before Ep.IV. Did Lucas change much of the story when he made the PT movies? I know that originally he had 9 chapters/episodes all together. I was under the impression that he started at 4 because he felt the technology was there to make that film, and didnít know how he could do the special effects for Episode I.
The Department of Redundancy Department
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW Battlefront II, if you consider that canon. Play "Rise of the Empire". In that story mode, soon before ANH, the Kaminoans create a clone army to fight the empire. Vader hires Fett because he knows a lot about the Kamino chambers, obviously. After that, Fett leaves (in the words of a 501st trooper "something about a bounty hunter on Tatooine")

Also, do you think Ani was completly blind to the Fetts? Wink
Inzane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
Fett wasn't in the scene originally filmed with Jabba (who was a fat Greek guy in furs). So far as I know, there was no connection (at least not in the novelizations based on the movies). Though Lucas obviously tried to make one with the whole Clone Wars thing.

what Drak said is one of the things Lucas has never figured out about great film making, and even great storytelling. A good story involves and enthralls the reader/watcher.

It's Lucas' drive to go back and "explain" that ruined the prequels.

was a cool movie up until Lucas had to have Padme whisper the kids' names.

It made him put Chewbacca in there, when there really was no need what-so-ever.

So, the question of if there was anything is "who knows?" And that's what it should remain.

Bravo dWhisper, I couldn't have said it better myself. (And obviously I hadn't, prior to your post).

thepatient wrote:
I think that one of the reasons that Boba was added to that scene was the popularity of the character.

Surprisingly to me, Boba Fett got the biggest roar from the audience.

Maybe itís a nod to those fans, I donít know.

And that was exactly my point. There was no reason to add him, other than what you just guessed. And that is exactly why there was NO NEED.
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish, actually. Declan Mulholland was Irish.
That scene never needed to happen. At ten years old in 1983 I understood why Han was in such Poodoo with Jabba. That horrible CGI Jabba is, well, not very nice to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inzane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Republic wrote:
Irish, actually. Declan Mulholland was Irish.
That scene never needed to happen. At ten years old in 1983 I understood why Han was in such Poodoo with Jabba. That horrible CGI Jabba is, well, not very nice to look at.

Not only that. It ruins the introduction of the millenium falcon. When Luke first sees it and goes "What a hunk of junk.." that's supposed to be the first time the audience sees it too.

The Jabba scene happens earlier in the film. Evil or Very Mad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: