FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question for 10179 Falcon Owners

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: A question for 10179 Falcon Owners Reply with quote

Lately, I have been paying close attention to this set, even downloading the instructions off the website, but I still have lingering questions. And, of course, before you buy something like this, you like to know everything...

First, yes, I realize that this is strictly a model, a display piece, a superstructure affixed with super-detailed panels attached with mere clips and technic pegs. So, don't worry about lecturing me about this, and just take my questions at face value Wink

What do you think the prognosis would be for the undertaking of completing this model with an interior? Clearly, substantial modification would be necessary. Do you think it is even feasible? How much meddling with the superstructure would be necessary? Do you predict that concessions would have to be made against interior accuracy in order to maintain a frame that could bear the weight of the model?

I think this set looks great, and it's probably my favorite interpretation of the ship in LEGO- quite an accolade for an official set. However, unless I feel it even possible to complete with an interior, I don't know if I want to plunk down so much for it.

I'm not asking if it'd be easy, of course. Just possible, and to what extent. From the looks of it, a fully accurate interior detail would be close to impossible while ensuring structural integrity. But I'll let those who have the set judge for me better than I can.
JayfoZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it would be possible to add an interior but as you said, it would be extremely difficult. Honestly though, I don't think it can be done without the model becoming much more fragile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think it possible...however it might be necessary to build in wherever you plan on displaying it and never moving it again... but it would basically be a totally different model so you might as well just make a MOC to where you could create more support where needed and maybe change the scale to decrease fragility
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immobility of the model would be in the realm of what I call "impossible".

Yes, I might as well make a MOC out of it, a MOC that isn't going to happen without the 10179 as a starting point, with about 90% of the exterior left intact. It would indeed require massive modification. I'm not talking about adding cute little details around holes in the frame...I mean a faithful recreation, on par with the outer details.

As-is, the frame is very strong. Do you think if you rebuilt the frame with certain holes in spots (such as to add corridors) but still reinforced with cross beams and etc, you'd still dare pick it up?

I can be very stubborn. The first MF they released, I modified and expanded upon to the point it was barely the same, but still the same scale and with the big hull panels. I even managed a corridor to the cockpit...if it happened at that scale, anything less is unacceptable here Wink However, I am very intimidated, hm...
etcknight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much of the interior can be changed. But, Pepa Quin did a fairly good job of modding / builidng / MOC with a partial interior that looks pretty good. Cool

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=264573

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm i like the corrider idea and i would tend to think that that would work but i would only grab it from the bottom and still be very very careful
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen Pepa Quins, in fact when this set was first unveiled I started a thread comparing the two, but that's old news.

In his, the rear of the ship, left unfinished, is really almost all hardware and machinery, in other words he could probably finish his falcon mostly with greebling on a grand scale. If you look in the cross sections book, the aft of the ship is extremely loaded with the modified double-size engines and numerous hardware components/cables.

I love the shape and the building tech and partial interior of pepa's, but the sheer detail and authentic look of the exterior on the set is almost ridiculous.

edit: wait, this is a new one. he's definitely upped the ante here and it contests 10179 easily.
chawan_cut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of did a step by step picture taking of my build process. The internal structure of the ship is all to support the massive weight of all the pieces. It would take a lot of effort and planning to make an interior to fit this model.
I worked on the external modding. I added in LED lights to the engine to make it more realistic. I had to change out some gray pieces to translucent, but it wasn't too difficult.
Overall build time was 24 hours over 2 weekends.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=286542
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the LEDs. It looks like you chose some all-inclusive product as opposed to buying separate LEDs, power source, wiring, etc. What did you use? It looks perfect. All we need now is pneumatic opening boarding ramp, firing concussion missile launcher.....
MingoDave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10179 cannot be "modified" to include an interior. It may be possible to rebuild it without the interior superstructure (retaining the exterior detail plating) and inserting interior components. This project (which would not be unwelcome at all) would be closer to a redesign than a modification. If you intend to try this (and I think you should, if you're as committed to the Falcon as Pepa is), I'd recommend that you buy the parts from Bricklink instead of set 10179 from Lego (since you won't be using most of the interior bits, which I estimate to be at least of the set's total mass and construction time).
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MingoDave's input is appreciated. You're right, it probably goes well beyond even extensive modification, and into redesign. I'll probably try to make it happen.

I would probably still buy the 10179, for several reasons; time, simplicity, and minifigs (I haven't had the ANH Leia for years). It's just much simpler and less time-consuming to buy the set than to cherry-pick all the parts off bricklink...and whatever parts don't wind up in the final model, well, it's Lego. Assimilate them. A paper manual is way better than a pdf as well...
Gumby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLACKTRON wrote:
A paper manual is way better than a pdf as well...

To have and browse through, yes, but to actually work with, maybe not! The instruction booklet is MASSIVE, especially if you have it open on a 2 page spread. Unless you have a huge table (or lots of floor space) to work on, it will take up a lot of space!

I've downloaded the PDF in order to save space when I actually build my set. Smile
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a display fit for massive resolution.
Anakin Solo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TV's take computers & laptops now, I often had my old desktop on my 32" Display.
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if it's a modern display. The best, of course, would be a large TV with VGA input; not worth it on my 1993 32" with s-video.

And on-topic, hey, what about those LEDs?
Gumby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLACKTRON wrote:
I hope you have a display fit for massive resolution.

You don't need massive resolution... I'm running 1680x1050 on a 21" screen, and at 49% (one page per screen) the PDF looks fine!
Duckman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacktron.... you hit the nail on the head with this post. I had the exact same view, which was what I didn't like about 10179. I wanted an interior aswell. But contrary to the other guys' post about Pepa buying 10179 to MOD it and put in an interior, I'm almost 100% certain thats wrong. When Pepa posted his thread about it, he had started from scratch for his own design, and quickly finished it once Lego released their 10179 announcement. And then the entire Lego community, myself included, died when we saw Pepa's version.

I have brought the set 10179 myself aswell, but with a child and work, I haven't even had time to open the box, its sitting away in storage at moment, perhaps when my son is older, I'll build it with him, .... there ain't nothing better than that.

I actually wondered the exact same thing when I purchased the set, whether I could MOD it with an interior, but thats many moons away if I do. Right now, still trying to finish a 2 metre by 3 metre Endor Village.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
legomd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Rev-B has modified his UCS Falcon to have an interior. So it is doable. Check out the link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=339645
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome interior on that one.
theDude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it would help you but I have the set built in MLCad in my Brickshelf folder right here.
zombieboy
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: its been done Reply with quote

a person over at mocpages has done it check it out-http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/70870
MingoDave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's the same one (Rev-B). And again, this is less of a mod than a redesign. Excellent work either way, but remember that this is not an afternoon project. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: