FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming sets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just an optical illusion, but I see white around the eye and a dark pupil in the center as well.

edit after seeing your edit, and looking for larger images of Juno: it seems it is an optical illusion I'm seeing - there is no white, but the line that should be an eyebrow seems to trace around the eye and end up looking more like an outline. Combine that with the needless bright blue for the eye and the exaggerated bangs and hair dangling down the sides of her face, and it all adds up to a different style almost on par with the anime faces.

edit again: visual explanation! Very Happy

The top version is based on the official version, but with a few alterations - and it looks immensely better in my opinion because it fits perfectly with the existing style while adding a new face to the mix. What do you think? Which would you all prefer?
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with either ... your alterations are just a toned down version of what they gave us, with black eyes instead of blue.

tbh, the top photo could be a bloke with big lips ... at least with blue eyes and more hair it looks more feminine.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Don that the eyes are a bit different and a little more like the anime style but i would give anything for the anime style to be more like Juno's.
I also found a way to transform anime faces into normal faces! All you need to do is brasso off the white parts of the eye! (and all that weird line crap that's on the clone wars faces. Rolling Eyes ) Ive started on an avatar face here.

I don't know if anybody else has done it but i thought it was a good idea.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:
your alterations are just a toned down version of what they gave us
That's exactly my point. The blue eyes aren't necessary, and it doesn't make sense to just give girls - only certain girls at that - colored eyes.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the top version only because the bangs creep me out...and because the top one looks like Eddie Izzard.

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Awesome, you're right. Juno could totally double as EI in LEGO form.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
bigospedros wrote:
your alterations are just a toned down version of what they gave us
That's exactly my point. The blue eyes aren't necessary, and it doesn't make sense to just give girls - only certain girls at that - colored eyes.

i have no idea what Juno looks like "for real" but perhaps she has dazzling blue eyes and they were added for authenticity ?

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Rayman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting study you made Don. I am with you on the eyes on Juno. However it really depends on what character is being represented.
The black eyes really look better. Like-wise with the Marion Ravenhood mini-figs.

The oversized bangs should correspond with Juno's in game appearance.

Juno Eclipse

Lately I have been experimenting with different coloured eyes (my Asuka WIP figure). Initially I was reluctant to do so but after several test prints the colour grew on me, and I suppose isn't as blasphemous as the cartoon faces (captain Rex, Anakin, Obi, look okay to me).

I am currently working on my Rei decals, and she definitely needs red eyes in my opinion. They are the essence of her character, and I felt the need to include them.

*Edit: Don the pinkier lips you added are SO MUCH BETTER!

Last edited by Rayman on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Rayman, there are some major Force Unleashed spoilers right in the first paragraph of that article you linked to. Could you add a warning in your post?
Rayman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that DarkBlue, sorry I just did a google search and didn't notice. Sad
Fixed the link so that it's only a photo of Juno.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayman wrote:
The oversized bangs should correspond with Juno's in game appearance.

Juno Eclipse
Thing is that's the only image I've seen where the long side wisps are noticeable at all.
Greg Hyland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all are panicing about nothing. The new faces I'm pretty sure are exclusively for the Clone Wars sets. I agree, it's a little dissapointing that they didn't just go with standard face designes, to make the new sets and figures fit in to everything else we have, I think they wanted to make this stand out from the regular line and look like the chracters in the TV show/film, rather than the movie versions. Avatar did the same thing, in a way.

Take a look at the Death Star set... all those figures use the standard design.

I kind of like all the new faces. Since March I've been working on the storyboards for those CGI animated comics that are on the LEGO Star Wars site, so I guess I've gotten used to the looks of the figures from drawing them for months and months! Ahsoka is actually my favorite!

One other thing, this last weekend I was a guest at a big comic convention in Toronto, and like I do at the BrickWorld and shows like that, I was doing minifigure skethches. I put out the Bat Tumbler and Batman and Joker figures on my table to get attention, but then I put out the Clone Wars Obi-Wan and Anakin, too, and they got almost as much attention. People know who they were right away, and everybody liked them! So... if LEGO's idea of changing faces was to maybe attract new people, then it seemd to work. (However, just as many people asked how I made the figures or where they could get them, and they were suprised when I said Toys R Us or Wal-Mart... still kind of shows the genreal public, who might like LEGO Batman or Star Wars don't know the set exist!)

Anywaye, I'd expect once Clone Wars has run it's course, the new face designs will go away. However, I think you'd also see those new hair pieces go away with them...!
"You'll thank me when you share my politics!"
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's panicking? We're simply talking about the new style and what we don't like about it.
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Don, you're so obstinate. Keep in mind folks that all CW related toys from all companies are very stylized. Lucasfilm was very specific on how they wanted the toys that were generated around Clone Wars to look. Oddly enough, if they'd made the Hasbro figures just look like normal figures and not stylized that would have been wrong to me, but the LEGO ones get the negative reaction.

This is something I kind of go back to the old school fleshtones discussions from a couple of years ago to pull from. Everyone in the universe 'should' look different. Diversity makes any scene more fun IMO (not 'IMHO'...I am not 'H'). So yes, we do get some strange faces for a while, but it only increases the variety of what we have which makes it more fun to me.

One thing I did want to comment on. Someone earlier said that Ahsoka being orange bothered them because Shaak Ti is red, and they're the same species and they should be the same color...how many color hues are there in the human genome again??? Just askin Smile

Steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you too Steve. Very Happy

I'm glad you threw in the point that all the Clone Wars merch is stylized, that puts the blame on LFL now instead of LEGO for me - but the reason LEGO is catching so much grief is because LEGO was already stylized where as Hasbro attempts to be as accurate to the characters as possible without having to stick to one physical form (I'm talking about the action figures here, Mighty Muggs are an obvious and funderful exception). In the same train of thought: I was just talking about the older Clone Wars toy lines with someone who was telling me how the life-like versions of the Gendy animated characters just seemed odd. I can agree to that and see how it applies here. I prefer the look of the animated Shaak Ti over the movie version. And it does make sense for LFL to want to focus the toys on the new style since that's the current billboard for Star Wars.

That doesn't mean we have to like them thogh. Wink
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

I'm glad you threw in the point that all the Clone Wars merch is stylized, that puts the blame on LFL now instead of LEGO for me...

True dat!
Quote:
That doesn't mean we have to like them though. Wink

Double true!

Greg Hyland wrote:

Anyway, I'd expect once Clone Wars has run it's course, the new face designs will go away. However, I think you'd also see those new hair pieces go away with them...!

I'm gonna disagree, but I don't deny it's a possibility. I imagine, however, that new hair molds require more investment than new minifig head printing. With that in mind, I think LEGO will re-use them elsewhere if their agreement with Lucasfilm doesn't prohibit it.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
So yes, we do get some strange faces for a while, but it only increases the variety of what we have which makes it more fun to me.

I like to line up all the variations of Anakin, Obi-wan, Luke and Han. Itís cool to see the evolution of a character as a minifig. I do the same with the redesigns of vehicles too. I enjoy the differences between the designs. That is part of the hobby for me.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Rayman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
I enjoy the differences between the designs. That is part of the hobby for me.

Hear hear! The point that Steve made about minifig diversity makes all the sense. There was a time where I could not have imagined LEGO mini-figures without their standard yellow smileys. A different face adds a new character to my collection.

Not all people will agree with any new release, but the beauty of LEGO is its modularity, and if changing the parts don't work there's always *cough* customising. Smile
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks Steve for the heads up Wink

I really love all those passionate discussions about a change of policy and design TLG is making, I really thinkits pretty funny to read.

Like you said it was like the shift to peach which really created far more passionate discussions than the use of cartoonie faces for a CGI show. (and I won't even enter into the shift to bley Laughing ).

Like I said I like novelty and diversity in a line, it keeps it fresh. However I would be pissed if a character was made CW style without a proper PT treatment first (like a Dooku, Palpie or Padme for instance).

And where is it written that Togruta have to be red ? I mean we do have species that portay different colors. Twi'lek for instance Wink

SW Databank wrote:
Among the colors that Twi'leks have appeared in are white (Lyn Me), blue or Rutian (like Sebulba's masseuses Ann and Tann Gella), green (Oola), red or Lethan, (Shakka). Episode II features purple and orange ones as well.

My BS Folder & Flickr
Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some initial reservations regarding the animated Anakin face--the original blurry pictures made him look effeminate hence I dubbed him 'Tranikin'. However once I actually had him in hand I thought he looked fine for the most part. The superior hair seemed to be a fair trade off for the slightly odd face. Realistically the face is so small on a minifig that once they are "in play" you hardly notice them.

My sons accept the new Anakin on equal terms with their Ultimate Space Battle Anakin figure--they like them both. While the new clone faces are kinda ugly, it's still more fun that they have faces than not. And most of the time they keep their helmets on anyway.

To an extent, it will be a shame if the only flesh Dooku we get has an animated face (brief aside, his animated beard is so pointy he could use it as a weapon). But there are worse problems in the world, and this one can be readily solved with a little Brasso and quick order from Kam.
darthtangent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, if it is a licensing issue, I can understand. I guess it's better to have Clone Wars sets will non-conforming faces than no sets at all.
Cheers!
commander ark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sence I just started collecting Lego these new faces and mini figs and ships are my first faces and figs and ships and I love them all. sure thay are not the same as the other ones but to me the other ones are not the same as these ones. not sure if that made any sence. eather way I tend injoy the new faces. every one has there owne opinion thow and mine is no greater than any one els.
darthmaul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new faces are great.

1x republic gunship
1x droid gunship
ox at-te
1x v-torrent
1x manga droid starfighter
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commander ark wrote:
any sence. eather way I tend injoy the new faces. every one has there owne opinion thow and mine is no greater than any one els.

......Don if this doesn't further prove the need for an age requirement to post here, I don't know what does.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got one dude. Problems are it's impossible to enforce, and it's not just young kids who can't spell. I mean, look at my posts. Wink

But yeah, commander ark, I think we'd all prefer it if you used a browser with spell check and gave your posts a quick proof read before clicking submit. Thanks.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you or dW said the requirement is 13 unless they have parental permission. It would be much better if you just dropped the whole permission thing altogether and just have it at 13.

True, it's not possible to stop them all, but you can easily tell how old they are by their posts. (not just the spelling)
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was dat meann?

Wink
Sandtrooper Platoon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lego were to bring out a fugtoon Yoda or a fugtoon Mace Windu they would look absolutely super lame and pathetic and look like they have just injected themselves with methamphetamine and are out on the prowl.
I would have absolutely no respect for the LEGO corp and their exploitation at the hands of Lucasfilm and their disgustingly drawn characters. Why, oh why!
Lego you would be so f**ked up to have to have done such a travesty to the Lego Star Wars universe to continue with the lamest of the lame. The fugtoon scary minifig is the dumbest ideas of dumb ideas that the Lego corp has done.
I hope now that the Clone Wars cartoon crashes and burns big time because I am sick of seeing these crappy minifig heads! That is if Lego were to continue with the "ice" addict minifig in future CW sets.
Please no more CW sets Lego. Please. Go back to your roots. Or don't place anymore scary minifigs within the Clone Wars sets. Please.
VamprahDEADDEADDEAD
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandtrooper Platoon wrote:
If Lego were to bring out a fugtoon Yoda or a fugtoon Mace Windu they would look absolutely super lame and pathetic and look like they have just injected themselves with methamphetamine and are out on the prowl...

I regret telling you this but, after seeing the real pictures of the new sets the yoda in the AAT and The Mace in the Attack Shuttle have fugtoon faces!!!
#1. Lego Clone Wars

My Youtube Account
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill admit that some of the new minifig faces are pretty bad. But come on, at least it gives the clones some personality...

waits for the haters to mug me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: