FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7681: Seperatist Spider Walker Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: 7681: Seperatist Spider Walker Review Reply with quote

Well I went to midnight madness to find this set on the shelves at a whopping price of 35$. The set's good, but now I'll go into more detail.

Build: It was an easy build that I was able to do within a half-an-hour. The model itself does not justify the price of the set, but I guess the minifigs make up for it.

Parts: For 35$ the parts are fairly dissapointing, not much else to build with them except the Spider Droid, I don't think you should buy this set for extra pieces.

Minifigs: This is what you should buy this set for. The clones, especially Fox, are phenominal and adding three different droids to pit them against makes this set a great set to make a battle scene.

Detail: The detail for 35$, again, is kinda dissapointing, there is not alot of detail in the feet, and the orb of the droid has little more than multicolored grays and the eye. The gun designs are the only reasonably detailed part of this set.

Playability: The playability is a decent factor in this set. Despite the looseness of the legs, and the problem I have had with getting all its legs to stand at even angles, it's hard to make the droid fall over, so he is pretty stable. Though it can be difficult to make him "walk".

Price To Parts: We were all expecting this set to be 20$. But something told me it would be closer to 40$...god I hate it when I am right. These are not priced well, the piece count does not justify the price, although I suppose the figures bring up the deireability.

Availability: I went to Midnight Madness and these were the first things to go off the shelves, but they were quickly restocked so I'm sure "late" people will be able to find them regularly.

Final Review

Parts: 6/10
Minifigs: 10/10
Detail: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Price to parts: 6/10
Availability: 9/10
OVERALL RATING: 8/10

It's a good set, definitely worth picking up, my advice: get one before they are gone. I bought two and I'm keeping one in the box to sell in the future.

Previously Known as Commander Bacara...but I forgot my password :\.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8/10 - I'm surprised you it that.

And $35? On S@H its $30.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was 35$ at Toysrus last night. It really is a pretty nice set when you get past the price. I think it's a good set for someone who's starting with star wars sets. Has enough to play out a good Droid vs. Clone battle, all in one set.

Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TRU has a tendency to overprice LEGO sets. Even on the TRU website it is listed at $35.

I'm guessing they want more for a set that is exclusive to them and is considered to be a "hot item"
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try living in Scandinavia. The price here in Sweden for the SSW is $50.
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its weird because in France that set is the same price as the Hailfire droid set, which is a good price really Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xwingyoda wrote:
Its weird because in France that set is the same price as the Hailfire droid set, which is a good price really Wink

Yoda

Lucky... Crying or Very sad

But, we are starting to stear off topic, back to the set review!

I agree with Fordo's opinions regarding the HSD, way too overpriced for such a low piece count.
Commando_Scorch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of the clone wars sets are overpriced. I have a feeling that it has to do with the license being separate from the Star Wars one. Anyway, I think this set will be worth picking up despite the price.

><>
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review! I ordered this set the day it came out, together with a Droid Gunship. Can't wait to get it.
(Off topic) By the way: does anyone have the droid gunship, and can he/she do a review on that please?
Member #3590

My Brickshelf
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commando_Scorch wrote:
I think all of the clone wars sets are overpriced. I have a feeling that it has to do with the license being separate from the Star Wars one. Anyway, I think this set will be worth picking up despite the price.

Yeah I was very dissapointed with the price of this set, but trust me everyone: Don't let the price deter you from purchasing at least one of these sets.

Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Fordo wrote:
Commando_Scorch wrote:

Yeah I was very dissapointed with the price of this set, but trust me everyone: Don't let the price deter you from purchasing at least one of these sets.

It didn't. In fact, I bought 2!!
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price would deter me but I have a 20% off coupon I'll use at the Lego store on it...$24 isn't bad.
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
The price would deter me but I have a 20% off coupon I'll use at the Lego store on it...$24 isn't bad.

Just don't buy it from TRU, or else you pay $35
skilzz1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to save 35 bucks for this set. After reading this review its turning out to be a 85% Should I really? Confused
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem was the price. If you can get past that it's an excellent set. Especially the figs, who are to die for, if anything at least bricklink Fox.

Walter Kovacs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this set yesterday (with TRUs insane mark-up Sad ). Aside from the price, it is a pretty good set.

One thing I just HAVE to do, though, is replace the 16 gray technic pins iwth black Friction Pins. That should take care of the wobblyness of the model, and make it truly posable.

I'm certain I have 16 spare friction pins somewhere, no where did I put them...
lordvader208

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the price is DEFINITELY NOT gonna deter me from getting this awsome set. I'm not so much bothered by the fact that people have said the spider droid is unstable because it looks really nice, especially with the guns. The red clone or Commander Rex or Fox or something is my favorite clone from the new clone wars sets, so thats an added bonus.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lordvader208
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AJ.Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set was not much at first and 35 bucks? TRU has been ripping us off lately...well actually for awhile. I want to get another one just for army building purposes but this is not just for army building. Great for collecting since the detail is there also. The stability of the legs is a bit akward because they tend to creep inwards but that deosn't matter to me. Overall its a great set and there's not much bad about it other than it's simplicity. Easy build and really kind of boring to look at. Captain Fox is great and you get another clone along with him so great.

Parts: 6/10 Not much to it
Minifigs: 10/10 Got everything you need
Detail: 7/10 Detail is great, but the body is a bit boring
Playability: 7/10 Everything you need to get started, except something to counter with...
Price to parts: 4/10 #5 dollars for a little more than 200 pieces?
Availability: 6/10 I don't usually grab exclusive sets so I'm not too in touch with gettin them fast
OVERALL RATING: 8/10 Great and I advise anyone who can find one to get one or two
fragment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a TRU exclusive? I thought I saw it at Target but maybe I am tripping. Sucks because I want the red trooper! Guess I will pay inflated price or wait until I get to a Lego store again.
Anakin Solo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the UK TRU is overcharging. My friend (who isn't really into LEGO) got this set off my suggestion, and when he went to our local TRU he payed 25 instead of TRU.co.uk & LEGO.co.uk's 20. But when I go for mine, I'l get it for 20 don't you worry Very Happy
Duck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, made me want to get it, seeing as it was the cheapest set with those new clones. It is a good set, I do like the gun designs on the Spider Droid, the main point of me buying it was for the new clones, they are very nice, especially Fox. As people have said, if you can look away from the price, then it makes a nice set.

I also got hit by British TRU mark-up, went to TRU in Southampton, only to look in horror at the 25 price point, after seeing it for 20 on the S@H website. I still got it Embarassed , and then picked up the RAG as well, I just fell in love with it when I saw it, even though I have the old one and only went in to get the Sep Spider.

On a final note, this is a good set, and for me the clones are what made it for me.. At least I have a full crew for my Gunship now.
Back after an absence, had my GCSE's. I missed it.

Last edited by Duck on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zombiekid24
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After not seeing it for a while I picked one up at TRU until I can head over to the Lego store to grab one. That way I can save some money and get stamps.

The set is nice and it's the Commander Fox set that put it over the top for me.
Zekkbie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed this at my local TRU this morning and I'm pretty impressed. It's a bit bigger than I expected.

Build 8/10 - pretty fast and repetative though I thought it was fairly interesting to see how they did the legs because I was going to make one on LDD until I heard that TLG was making an official set.

Parts 7/10 - not very interesting, though I did get a nice selection of extras including a blaster that I gave to one of my clones in the Turbo Tank

Minifigs 9.5/10 - Incredible Fox fig, I love the new clones. The helmets are awesome and the faces make the clones seem more real and less machine. My only problem is that the accessories limit Fox's movement.

Detail 8/10 - Nice printing on the clones and the feet of the walker are pretty detailed. The guns on the walker are nice too, but the body is pretty boring.

Playability 8/10 - Good battle expander, allows you to have a fight betwwen the clones and the droids, but the walker is a little unstable.

Price to Parts 6/10 - Pretty bad, but the size of the walker makes up for it.

Availability 5/10 - My TRU had one left the afternoon of the day they came out and when I went in a week later they told me that they had to hold them until today. What's with that?? They can have it the first day but then they're not allowed to put any out until 3 weeks later???? I don't get it. Anyway if you can find it, grab it since it's limited edition.

Overall 9/10 - Very satisfied. Good set.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered this on S@H the morning of the 26th. I thought it was excellent, although a bit overpriced. Fox is one of my favorite minifigs of all time
FoxPrimus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I love this set for it's fig's mainly I mean who doesn't like having a starwars character named after them. The parts look ok.. and another huge droid to add to my ever growing collection is great! but I agree that the price is to high, Also if your in Canada like me self it's really not an easy set to find at all even at TRU where it should be found easily!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: